Is anyone else concerned?

by sammielee24 10 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

The USA rating has slipped to at least 50th place - down from about 17th just a few years ago. One way that all dictatorships gain and keep control of their people, is to supress information and control media. This gradually paves the way for a totalitarian government in which you are fed a constant supply of government approved news - which in turn creates much more isolationisim and brainwashing.

I had heard about this months ago, but it seems to be only now that its actually starting to make the news. The war is a good example of course - recall the photo's of the caskets lying in the hangar that were quickly removed. The double amputee from Iraq given an honorable discharge that was not desired as a guest - he was going to wear shorts and it would have been deemed inappropriate. Too 'in your face' a casuality of war. The interview Woodruff gave when he asked the government directly - why are you not telling the truth about the number of injured coming home...and the answer back was 'because this administration has decided that the media will limit what information will be given to the public'...(not a direct quote).

I find it personally confusing. Bush touts democracy as one of the primary reasons he has men and women getting killed in Iraq - on both sides - and yet, in a democracy there should reign freedom of the press. If the government controls the media and the media and the government are our ties to the truth - then where does that put all of us? sammieswife.

From Woodruffs interview last night on abc; - apparently the numbers are about 150,000 people with injuries now-not counting all those who have fallen between the cracks

While the U.S. Department of Defense says that there have been about 23,000 nonfatal battlefield casualties in Iraq, Woodruff discovers — through an internal VA report — that more than 200,000 veterans have sought medical care for various ailments, including more than 73,000 diagnoses for mental disorders.

Nicholson plays down those figures, telling Woodruff, "A lot of them come in for dental problems. … We're providing their health care."

Woodruff reports that even these numbers may not tell the whole story: According to unreleased data from the Department of Defense, at least 10 percent of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans may have sustained a brain injury during their service.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I saw part of that report last night and it boggles the mind. I read in the newspaper a while ago that there have been billions squandered and unaccounted for by the government on the Iraq war. Why are we there? To line someone's pocket while our troops get maimed and killed?

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Go ahead and eat it, you surely won't die!!! HMMMM, sound familar,

1 John 5:19 and Rev 12:9-12

abr

• choosing life
    choosing life

I saw a report on link TV. It said that a major supply pipeline is being built in the middle east and the Russians and Chinese want to construct it to benefit them. The Bush government wants to direct it in another direction to benefit the USA. This was a major factor in invading Iraq. The US government is also setting up permanent military bases throughout the eastern European countries that you never hear about on the news to keep control of the oil.

If you want to know why we're in Iraq today, just follow the oil. And yes, it is kinda scary. Bush seems the closest to having a dictator mindset that I have seen in my lifetime in the US.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

There was a very interesting program on Starz this last fall which has been reaired a couple more times. I cannot think of the name of it though.

It was very, very enlightening. It didn't go into oil vs wmd.

But it sure as hell pointed out how very slowly and very quietly the USA is becoming totaliatarian. It controls the media, how much information we get. It is getting very, very scary.

The number of wounded is frighteningly high. I hear often about the death toll, but rarely do I hear the casualties that will live without half their freaking head.

What is scarier, is that people Voted this man in AFTER it was plain, clear as day, that he Lied about this war.

<<shakes head>>

I don't do political conversations, but Sammie, you have hit on a topic that grates my nerves.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Why are we there? To line someone's pocket while our troops get maimed and killed?

In a word, yes.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

It doesn’t matter who is in office, Bush or any other President will be replaced after a term or two.

The Presidents are just figureheads for the financiers behind the lobbyists, who are really behind what goes on.

Don’t know if you have seen this yet, but it might help you to understand things a little more clearly:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7374585792978336967&q=genre%3Acomedy

It’s long, but the presentation of the information is delivered in a humorous way that holds your attention.

Well worth the time invested to watch it, methinks.

BA

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Just my off the cuff comment to your post. The government does control the media. Thats the source of their power, propaganda. Most people are too busy working, or enjoying their lifes to watch the fox guarding the hen house. Take care of yourself and your family and enjoy the ride. Bush showed us voting does not work. Gore won the election and we have a sociopath carpetbagger who settled in Texas wasting our tax dollars. America was founded by immigrants. If the country doesnt serve ones needs we are free to emigrate out, that is if you have skills that another country wants, or investment capital. If your just enjoying the ride and you want to issue your solo complaint, limit your viewing of the fox channel to American Idol. Rupert Murdock is Bush's Joseph Goebels. Or maybe its the other way around Bush is Rupert Murdocks puppet. I think you could see the remote control in the back of Bush's suit during the presidential debate. But in my opinion the fox network is manipulating world policy by using the US government. Or vice versa. If the US Government of the American people were in control Bush would never have been president. The Us Government is run by either Rupert Murdock, Carl Rove or King George Bush the 1st the idiots father. And one of them whispers into the idiots ear. At least thats the way I see it today Feb 28,2007.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I travel all the time to foreign countries. Lest to say that I moved to and am currently living in a country outside the U.S.

The feedback from the people I meet in the world scene is obvious. The U.S.A. has lost its dignity and respect.

Alligator Wisdom (Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I travel all the time to foreign countries. Lest to say that I moved to and am currently living in a country outside the U.S.

The feedback from the people I meet in the world scene is obvious. The U.S.A. has lost its dignity and respect.

Gator Wisdom, I'm not surprised.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit