Why do the local congregations always pay for the D.O. and C.O. visits?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

The official direction from the WTS is that if the COs expenses for the week are not requested by the congregation, then the CO can submit to the WTS for reimbursement. Technically, the PO asks the CO for his expenses (always submitted with receipts). The CO is not supposed to bring the subject up and is officially only to turn the receipts over if requested. I've been in congregations that had standing resolutions that gave the BOE the authority to approve CO expenses up to a certain amount ($125 for example). Anything above that would need a congregation vote. The circuit pays for the apartment expenses and those expenses are usually approved at the "business meeting" held each Circuit Assembly/Special Assembly Day. I believe the health insurance and cars come from a common fund administered by the branch.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    Regarding any gifts of cash provided to the CO/DO from individual members, no tax is required unless such gifts exceed $10,000 from any one individual which is pretty unlikely ( US Tax law - maybe different elsewhere)

I'm just making the point, anybody else would be paying taxes on an income of 25-30K.

• ImFreeNow
    ImFreeNow

Actually these are called RESOLUTIONS that the congo is asked to approve by a show of hands after the co's/do's or visiting bethel boys come in. The congregation is not bound to approve these (but they almost always do except for the ocassional big ticket items like new kingdom halls in controversy). If a congregation would happen not to cover these expenses the co or do can turn them in directly to the society for reimbursement up to a certain annual level per written instructions to co's.........how much better for the borg if these are covered locally!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Obviously if the local congos do not pay then the WTS will have to pay and we know how good they are in putting all the burden on the local dubs, for buying/building and maintaining KHs, covering the assembly expenses, paying for visiting COs, and donating something on top of all this to the org. The COs are kind of spies and whip boys for the GB and it's too bad having to cover their expenses. At the end of the day it's a case of: jehovah will bless you if you support his organisation and his appointed servant.

• zack
    zack

The expenses they actually submit to the congregations are very minor. Maybe 100 to 200 dollars for a week and only twice a year.

It is a show of hospitality. I certainly don't have a problem with it, never did. I actually beleived and still do that JW's would be BETTER

off with paid clergy who had an actual education and training in psycology and family counseling.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Good observation, funny how they like to apply all the rich money hungry things to Christendom, the collecting of money for paid ministers, they forget how Paul said he never took a penny off anyone and had the right as an apostle, they like to apply this scripture to Christendom and forget themselves

Matt 10:8 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cure those with leprosy, and cast out demons. Give as freely as you have received!

abr

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

loyal dubs end up paying for everything -it is part of what makes them a cult

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Whenever I read the Bible, I remember collections being taken up and it was always to help the poor. Just another thing wrong I guess.

abr

• Honesty
    Honesty

Good observation, funny how they like to apply all the rich money hungry things to Christendom, the collecting of money for paid ministers, they forget how Paul said he never took a penny off anyone and had the right as an apostle, they like to apply this scripture to Christendom and forget themselves

Matt 10:8 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cure those with leprosy, and cast out demons. Give as freely as you have received!

abr

Actually, Paul did receive compensation. He just didn't beg for it.

2 Cor 11:7-9

Or did I commit a sin by humbling myself so that you might be exalted, because I preached the gospel of God to you free of charge?

I robbed other churches by taking pay [from them] to minister to you. When I was present with you and in need, I did not burden anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied my needs. I have kept myself, and will keep myself, from burdening you in any way.

• greendawn
    greendawn
    I actually beleived and still do that JW's would be BETTER off with paid clergy who had an actual education and training in psycology and family counseling.

That is a good observation, it shows how casual and badly organised the dubs are in not having properly trained professional local leaders, having amateur elders, that can't be serious given the gravity of the post. Another great deficiency in dubdom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit