Why do the local congregations always pay for the D.O. and C.O. visits?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

wannaexit, they are EXPENSES not profits! you and others who are calculating how much these guys get are not realizing that..

in addition what is submitted to the congregations for reimbursement is only a fraction of total expenses..the rest is made up by the WT in reimbursements, and provision of lodging, vehicles, etc.

i am glad you corrected yourself Blondie cause when I saw your first post..i was like, uh it goes back at least to Paul cause I know that in addition to taking collections for the poor in Judea..he accepted direct support a number of times...

his big point in Corrinthians 8 is how this support came from the poorer congregations of Macedonia and he was gently chastising the Corinthians who were wealthy by comparison...

although Paul never said so directly, it is probable that Paul received some help from his home congregation of Antioch, it being the one that "sent him out" ...

Paul relied upon he generousity of the faithful and made up the shortfall in a trade as a tentmaker during his ministry...

there isn't a problem with supporting these guys in part..there visit is only twice a year so on the whole its not much from the congregation..

but i do think that the show of hands voting on this and all other similar "congregatonal" matters is a farce...the only time i ever saw a non-unanimous vote was on a vote for expenditures for a computer for the congregation...

-eduardo

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

IMO, the D.O.'s and C.O.'s have put themselves in position (having accepted their respective posts from the GB of the WTS) as yet another pimple on the butt of the society's R&F. They are allotted a minimum allowance and the rest must be provided by the various congregations which they visit.

Additionally, they specifically are required to dress in expensive finery. They've been given this right duty by the GB via the WT mags, wherein the GB's writing dept. has even given the example that Jesus was enrobed expensively, not in peasant garments, but in garments befitting his kingship.

Disclaimer: This is not a slam against ALL C.O.'s and D.O.'s, just a great number of them and the heirarchy above them for making it so.

As if god gives a good gd.

Frannie

• blondie
    blondie

Eduardo, it wasn't so much a correction as an addition. Not everyone on here ever was part of another Christian relgion and are not aware of the financial arrangements, and even then they varied. It is not unusual for other churches to pay the expenses of visiting ministers. But when someone else made a comment about Paul not accepting donations for his work, I knew that was not correct either.

I never begrudged pay the expenses of the COs and DOs. I never saw anyone submit expenses for clothing for either them or their wives. There are exceptions of course. Mostly it was gas and other auto expenses, stamps, stationary, later computer expenses such as toner and diskettes. I never saw anything over $100. There was a time when neither car or medical expenses were provided for from on high but the current circuit usually took up a collection.

There is always the green handshakes, but that was not from the congregation but from individual JWs who wanted some kind of influence or "privilege."

Blondie

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Blondie said:

I never begrudged pay the expenses of the COs and DOs. I never saw anyone submit expenses for clothing for either them or their wives. There are exceptions of course. Mostly it was gas and other auto expenses, stamps, stationary, later computer expenses such as toner and diskettes. I never saw anything over $100. There was a time when neither car or medical expenses were provided for from on high but the current circuit usually took up a collection.

Every congregation is different.My congregation always paid the airfare for the D.O. and his wife.They would fly in on Friday night and leave Sunday evening right after the 2 day assembly ended.

Since we are a small congregation,our bank account sometimes had less than $100.I don't know how they came up with the money but we always paid for the C.O. and D.O. expenses.

• JT
    JT

Actually it is Not the Resolution that the congo makes that lines the CO pockets for that typically is for gas, stamps, etc.

it's the PERKS, yes as we used to say at bethel---the Green Handshakes

case in point- there is one part left on the circuit assembly the "Days text"-- the CO is trying to decide who to give this little light weight part to

he has a brother who washes windows and pioneers, he has a bro who had just bought him 3 suits and 3 outfits for his wife

Question who do you think will be doing the daily Text??

this is what most jw know nothing about, i have buddies right now on the Road and their wives complain about how little they got from the evelopes before they left

the best congo to be assigned to is the Palms springs circuit- my old roomates works the service desk and they laugh at co who get the dog assigments

years ago bro Harley Miller, you can read his exp was in charge of assigmentments for CO and if you ticked him off you got sent to Siberia, North Dokota- smile

Fl and Southern CA were always the best-

there is a congo up in Carmel CA the city that clint eastwood was mayor

the congo is well off, the CO cleans up

some CO make between $40,-60,000 a year in hand shakes- while that is not $250,000- you do have to look at it in context

this is ALL FREE MONEY, UNTAXED TO SPEND-

IMAGINE if all your expenses were paid for, would you really need alot of cash, if you had NO BILLS!!!!!!!!!

problem is most co don't save anything beliveing that jah is provding when in fact it is their title

this shock typically doesn't sit in until they come off the road and they can't give out assembly partsanymore , they become a has been

most have notsaveed a dime from what i was told by a number of them.

unfortunately most of us relate to the CO in the WEST in the 3rd world countries the CO work is tough- since all expenses are laid on the local congo- in those countries the local hall has little cash and since bethel ain't helping out except for expenses, the branch will pay it

but they have very little cash in their pockets- unlike in the WEST

so it ain't all glory, it depends upon the country and the $$$ of the circiut assigned to

just my 2

• blondie
    blondie
    My congregation always paid the airfare for the D.O. and his wife.They would fly in on Friday night and leave Sunday evening right after the 2 day assembly ended.

That seems quite unusual. In my experience, it has been the circuit that paid for the airfare of any visiting speakers from Bethel or the DO for the circuit and special day assemblies. Of course, that means that each congregation paid part of it but not all of it.

If there is a KH dedication and the congregation invites a Bethel speaker (GB or otherwise), that congregation does bear the full cost of their travel expenses.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit