Why do the local congregations always pay for the D.O. and C.O. visits?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 35 Replies latest jw friends

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Every time a Circuit and District Overseer visited our congregation,the Elders always wanted a show of hands from the congregation to see if we would pay for their car expenses and travel.Sometimes the congregation would pay for airline tickets.It was always approved.

Do you know if the idea came from the local congregations to pay? Did the WTS send out letters to each congregation to see if they would pay? We know that the WTS always get what they want.

It's amazing how we paid $250-$400 for each overseer visit and the WTS paid nothing.

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

We always had a vote from the cong. as to whether or not we would pay for the C.O......Everyone always voted yes, but it wasn't set in stone that the cong. had to pay for him.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Every time a Circuit and Presiding Overseer visited our congregation,the Elders always wanted a show
    of hands from the congregation to see if we would pay for their car expenses and travel.Sometimes the
    congregation would pay for airline tickets.It was always approved.

Presiding Overseers are the elder in the congregation in charge of things, so they do not get paid
    for visits to congregations. Perhaps you meant District Overseers, who are in charge of several
    Circuit Overseers, or Bethel Speakers, who fly in at your congregation's request and expenses.

Anyway, as for the CO, the congregation could decide not to pay his expenses, the organization
    would apparently send him again, anyway. Just imagine that next visit. "You guys voted not to
    pay my expenses, I had to foot the bill myself. I don't know what I did to tick you off, but wait
    until 'Mother' gets my report on your activity this time."

You see the game they play. You "decide" to support the CO financially. He's the one who reports
    your activity to the Borg, adds recommendations to his report, visits you again and again for a few
    years. Of course the elders will kiss up to him. I can imagine some congregations have not paid the
    expenses in the past, but they were sorry they chose that course. I can imagine some rank and file
    voting against the expense, and the elders having a talk about hospitality and obedience to the slave,
    then having another vote. Even one dissenting hand in these situations causes turmoil during the vote.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Have you ever done the math?

It is roughly $25K per year untaxed and unrecorded income.

Nice.

• pierogi
    pierogi

What's with every time there was a vote, they'd do it by raising hands? I always thought they should use a ballot. I mean come on, who is going to vote against it by raising their hand? The WTS knows that conformity works!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I mean come on, who is going to vote against it by raising their hand?

You answer your own question. Virtually nobody will vote against it.
    If they do, everyone knows who it was. PRESSURE.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Pierogi said :

I mean come on, who is going to vote against it by raising their hand?

We have 4 Elders in my congregation.They all raise their hands up when they take up a vote. Everyone in the congregation follows and raise their hands up because they know the Elders always look around for dissenters.

• lawrence
    lawrence

How about this... maybe the congos should take a Level A vote-

"How many want the circuit overseer to come. Come on brothers, let's be honest, he was a bastard last visit, and even worse the visit before. Let's vote not to receive him. Let him visit Crooklyn the week of April 1st instead."

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, paying for a visiting minister is an old custom dating back before 1879.

• zarco
    zarco

No untaxed income is involved. It is a reimbursement of expenses only with receipts being required.

Regarding any gifts of cash provided to the CO/DO from individual members, no tax is required unless such gifts exceed $10,000 from any one individual which is pretty unlikely ( US Tax law - maybe different elsewhere)

zarco

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit