Why do the local congregations always pay for the D.O. and C.O. visits?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 35 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

(Philippians 4:14-17) 14 Nevertheless, YOU acted well in becoming sharers with me in my tribulation. 15 In fact, YOU Phi·lip´pi·ans, also know that at [the] start of declaring the good news, when I departed from Mac·e·do´ni·a, not a congregation took a share with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except YOU alone; 16 because, even in Thes·sa·lo·ni´ca, YOU sent something to me both once and a second time for my need. 17 Not that I am earnestly seeking the gift, but that I am earnestly seeking the fruitage that brings more credit to YOUR account. . .

(2 Corinthians 11:7-9) 7 Or did I commit a sin by humbling myself that YOU might be exalted, because without cost I gladly declared the good news of God to YOU? 8Other congregations I robbed by accepting provisions in order to minister to YOU; 9 and yet when I was present with YOU and I fell in need, I did not become a burden to a single one, for the brothers that came from Mac·e·do´ni·a abundantly supplied my deficiency. Yes, in every way I kept myself unburdensome to YOU and will keep myself so.

Actually Paul did accept donations.

Blondie

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    The CO is not supposed to bring the subject up and is officially only to turn the receipts over if requested

while the above statement is true no body of elders would ever dare not ask for his expenses. Its one of those unwritten rules. I recall sitting on the service committee meetings at the end of the visit and the PO would say "..ahh oh if you have any expenses to submit to us" the CO would say very machinelike "Yes thank you" I used to roll my eyes.... so stupid.

• ssrriotsquad
    ssrriotsquad

Our current CO on his last visit sent us the bill which was $150, with a note attached saying if we cannot pay the full amount, just send it back to him. Let alone this CO is the most expensive CO we have ever had that I can remember of as previous CO's bills were about $80 max, and that included the car expenses.

The PO when doing the announcements asked for a show of hands to support the payment, nobody put there hand up. To go against, nobody put there hand up. To partial pay, still nobody. When he asked "what are we to do?" my father yelled out, "Send it back as we dont have the money."

However, after the meeting, I asked the PO what the bill was made up of, he reluctantly said it was made up of the following:

$88 for a meal when he went down the coast

$30 for a mobile prepaid card (whose wife is forever on it)

$25 for a hair for the CO (This bloke is half bald and the town barber only costs $16)

$10 for stationery.

There are no car bills as we have an automobil program for the CO's & DO's.

I said that they are giving money by the society for personal expenses, and the the meal, haircut and prepaid card are personal expenses and should not be charged to the congregation. If he is not satisfied with the meals that we give him, he can starve. The PO didn't like what I said either, but he didn't take any further with me.

In the end, the elders decided to pay only $45. For all I care, that's $35 too much.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

D.O. & C.O. are the first paid level of minister for the jws whether they want to believe it or not. I wish I could turn my receipts in for my DVDs, CDs Cable, water, electric, gas, and plane tickets to NYC for a nice visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The list is endless!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST GIVE THEM THE RECEIPTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• under_believer
    under_believer

I don't think it's outrageous or a big deal to finance the CO visit.

I mean the guy doesn't have a job for which he gets money. He spends all his time visiting congregations, and that mofo works HARD for the money he gets, too--and I would argue that his wife has it harder than he does. And he's not like... profiting or anything. He will retire with the clothes on his back and the lint in his pocket, no social security in many cases, no retirement fund, because the branch has no use for him anymore. And you're gonna begrudge the guy 100 or 150 bucks a week? 7200 dollars a year? Could you live on 7200 a year, even assuming someone had you over for dinner every night? That wouldn't cover half my mortgage.

I've known many asshole circuit overseers--the majority, in fact--and a couple of really good ones who I would count as dear friends to this day. Even with the assholes, though I don't think you can really accuse them or even the Society of robbing the congregation in this matter. That role is not something to envy.

• pierogi
    pierogi

The CO's wives that I've seen always look like they have the best clothes. I wonder who pays for them. Has anyone ever thought this?

• ssrriotsquad
    ssrriotsquad

Fact of the matter is that he knows our congregation is not financially equiped to pay for the majority of his bills, due to our current situation as we have with a certain element within it that has destroyed the spirit within our congragtion. But he could at least hand over a few of the billed to a neighbouring congregating to reimburse those expenses.

The sad part is that his wife likes to do business territory, which not a problem in its self. However, she was with my wife doing a certain clothes shop where she was trying on various outfits, and there was one she happen to particularly like but didn't buy it - could not afford it. The next meeting, my wife notices that she is wearing that dress that she tried on while out witnessing. My wife enquired to who she got that dress, and found out that a particular sister (who generally is not of sound mind at the best of times) within the cong had bought it for her later that day. My wife then realised what she was alluding to when she was saying that she couldn't afford it and emphasised that she really liked the dress, hoping that my wife would buy it for her.

This is what gets up peoples back and especially mine, its okay to recieve gifts from your brothers, but dont make it a scene of trying to persuade the bro/sis to get it for you. It is suppose to be from the generosity from the brothers themselves, not at your encouragement. Big difference. And we have a particular section of our congregation that expects this type of behaviour.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I don't know where it all started but C.O. and D.O. are not hurting financially. I think of the CO that visits the congregation I attend.T He visits roughly 20 congregations per circuit. Most of the congregations resolve to pay his expenses. If the expense is $100.00 x20 = $2,000.00. They visit the circuit twice . That is $4,000.00 per year. Add to this all the money gifts they get from different members in the congregation. Let's assume 5 dubs give him 20.00 each. That's another 100.00 per week $100.00x20= $2,000.00. They visit again that's another $2,000.00. In a year they may get a minimum of $10,000 tax free.

On top of that the circuit puts him up in a nice appartment. The circuit gives him a car. Society gives him an allowence. Meals are provided for him and his wife. They get wined and dined. Pretty good life I would say.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    And he's not like... profiting or anything. He will retire with the clothes on his back and the lint in his pocket

Don't forget the money that most CO's receive from the elders and publishers in congregations that they visit and its all tax free. The average circuit is what 18-25 congregations maybe depending on the area of the country.

Again depending on where he is serving, when I was in the Northeast we used to give the CO $30-50. Taking my congregation as an example say the average each elder gave was $40. 40X12 elders = $480. This is just figuring in the elders, I know some publishers who gave 20, 30, 40 as well and this is all tax free! He gets this every week since he visits a cong. weekly. Figure 4 wks vacation thats 48wks X $480= $23,000. Of course its possibly much more than this but you get my drift... its all tax free. All these CO's need to do is save, open an IRA or something and they will be fine especially since as was mentioned all the meals, drycleaning, medical, car repairs, etc is all paid for.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    when I was in the Northeast we used to give the CO $30-50. Taking my congregation as an example say the average each elder gave was $40.

I was such an idiot, when the CO came around I always slipped him $150-$200.

I would be behind on my mortgage, and the electric company would be ready to shut me off, but i would scrape up the money to give the CO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit