What Religion Are You?

by choosing life 46 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

I know a lot of posters are not religious and others feel no need to attend a church. But, for those that do attend somewhere, I was curious as to what type of church they chose after leaving the jws and what attracted them to that particular church or religion? If you were not raised as a jw, did you return to the church you were raised in?

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

During the warm weather I attend the church of vtwins and asphalt :D

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Most recently, the Church Of Toast, where I became the self-proclaimed God. There's a thread on it buried somewhere here..

• FreeChick
    FreeChick

Church of the Great Outdoors for me...usually meets at the beach

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I've been doing a lot of studying lately in Meism.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Choosing,

I was raised Roman Catholic. I left Catholicism to be a JW for a total association time of 27-years (25-years as a baptized JW). When I left the JWs, I associated with all types of Christians, starting with Baptists, then Asembly of God (pentecostal type), then Presbyterian, Christian Reform, then Baptist again, with a visit to some non-denominational Churches and a Methodist Church. I was NOT searching for some kind of true Church, but rather, I wanted to taste the varieties an learn all that I could. Some I attended by invitation, including Mormon (with no intention on joining the Mormons as they are too wacky for me.)

Eventually, I stopped attending any type of Church, but reatined my faith in Christ ... though I also flirted with agnosticism, or a varient called Christian agnosticism. This was not due to any searching, but rather, in accord with serious issues I cold not resolve regarding God and his purposes. During this period, which lasted several years, I prayed, but did not read the Bible (except for quoting verses in discussion boards) and I simply faded from any Church affiliation.

About 2-years ago, Icommenced a serious study of early Christianity, wherein I read every early Church Father from the late 1st century up to about the late 3rd century. It was a massive undertaking, considering that I am also working full time, and in university full time. In the process, I fell upon many things which connected me with my Catholic roots, the Trinity and the person of the Holy Spirit. With this, I discovered an indepth understanding of the history and teachings of the Eastern Orthodox, which is a cousin of Catholicism, but holds to a doctrinal position that embraces my Catholic roots, my Protestant leanings, and my sense of what emerged out of the historical Church. That process eventually led to my reconciliation with the Catholic Church. I do not agree with Rome 100%, and I do not feel that every Christian has to be Catholic, plus I am out of the preaching business. Not all in the body of Christ are evangelizers, for God gives different gifts in the faith ... and preaching is not my gift.

In rediscovering Catholicism, I came to realize just how much the Watchtower Society had misinformed, blurred, and twisted Catholic teaching and practice. Mostly, what drew me back home, so to speak, is the love and peace I find among Catholic Christians ... it is a place and a foundation of profound thinking and historical roots to early Christianity that has re-anchored me in Roman harbors. I do share my faith and my peace ... but in the most moderate an unimposing ways. I no longer view the Bible as the law-book of the Christian faith, because I now accept the traditions that were handed down orally from the Apostles to the disciples who formed the beginnings of the early Churches ... and who continued that tradition through out history. In saying this, in no way do I dismiss or play down the errors made by the Catholic Church ... but I am satisfied she has learned from her mistakes ... and that the generation of Catholics that exist today are good, kind, loving, and moderate people (barring the comparatively few bad eggs that she and any Church body will have.)

In the Catholic Church, I can live freely and be intellectually honest, with the Church, with fellow Catholics, with Orthodox, and Protestants, with myself, and most of all, with God. So, it is a safe and good place for me now ... and I trust for the rest of my life.

Jim Whitney

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Agnostic

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Atheist.

god free is the way to be.

• Tahoe
    Tahoe

Unplugged.

• Jeepthing
    Jeepthing

Disaffiliated christian but willing to attend certain churches for sake of socialization and to feel a part of community. Jw ruined me forever for any kind of organized religion. Tried few different ones but couldn't bring myself to listen to their teachings. But I am missing a feeling of belonging. Do you think it is better to belong to dysfunctional community than being all alone out there? One thing nice about being jw was that you have a sense of belonging even though it was only in superficial in most cases. But some were sincere. Well, only in jw terms. Sorry, if I am redirecting the topic. Just frustated with some of jw friend, who is still trying to convert me back to jw. She won't turn me in like a good little jw but constantly trying to change me back to jw.

Hi, choosing life----you know who I am talking about. She just won't let up. Makes me wonder about our friendship. I have been doing some serious thinking about our friendship. Spent all evening debating about society's teachings and I am still wrong and need to come back. This has been going too long. At least 4 years. Is it worth keep doing? When is time to let go?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit