OH, THE IRONY OF IT ALL.............Global Warming

by Warlock 84 Replies latest social current

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb
    Maybe all this cold is also caused by man.

There's your key word "man"!! A woman would never........!!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Ted Kulongowski, Governor of Oregon, has finally found something to tag as his legacy, which is to make Oregon a leader in solving the global warming "crisis." His first move was to attempt to demote the long-standing "Oregon climatologist" because said scientist's evaluations are that global warming (insofar as it is currently defined) is merely another cycle of earth's planetary behavior.

I don't know enough about paleometeorology to say one way or the other, but I'm always suspect when someone tries to "silence" a dissident voice.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I don't know enough about paleometeorology to say one way or the other, but I'm always suspect when someone tries to "silence" a dissident voice.

Then again, maybe that "dissident voice" is just a smug Simpson juror that believes they are oh so intelligent because they can fold their arms, sneer, and say, "you haven't proved anything"

• onacruse
    onacruse

DTM, perhaps so, but this fellow is a practicing PhD at a major University, and the University (I think it's U of O) is refusing to abide with Kulongowski's request.

On that basis, it would seem that his position has a bit more than just tacit support.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Actually the man who was "silenced" only CALLED himself the state climatologist. He does not have a state position. The governor is just making him not use that TITLE.

The guy has a masters in meteorology.

Meteorology is NOT climatology and definitely not paleoclimatology.

And while getting a masters is quite an accomplishment, it suggests that he and his research (if he has done any- I do not know) has not gone through the scrutiny that some one who has gone a little further in his field of research

-K

• Kudra
    Kudra

I think the concern was that this sole voice, was regarded as speaking for the state, which would like to do something about global warming. The governor just wanted him to stop using the title that wasn't quite his, and find someone to actually fill the state position.

Here is part of an article on it:

To governor, Oregon has no 'climatologist'

Global warming - Ted Kulongoski wants contrarian meteorologist George Taylor to stop speaking for the state
    Saturday, February 10, 2007

MICHELLE COLE and MICHAEL MILSTEIN

SALEM -- Gov. Ted Kulongoski wants to make it perfectly clear who has the official word on global warming in Oregon: He does.

Kulongoski has asked the president of Oregon State University to stop George Taylor, head of the Oregon Climate Service, from calling himself the "state climatologist."

Taylor, who has a master's degree in meteorology, has been widely known as Oregon's state climatologist since 1991 and uses that title. Technically, however, the position was discontinued along with federal funding in the late 1980s. The state-funded Oregon Climate Service tracks weather and generates maps from offices at OSU.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Kudra - You rock. I like your brain.

• Kudra
    Kudra

You should see my liver!!

Thank you hemplover- that is a very nice compliment.

:)

• onacruse
    onacruse

Kudra, thanks for correcting my information. And, indeed, the phrase from the news article you posted:

Gov. Ted Kulongoski wants to make it perfectly clear who has the official word on global warming in Oregon: He does.

was what struck me as the "story was breaking."

Really, I'd be perfectly happy to have a climatologist, meteorologist, or even our Illuminati Governor to simply tell me whether it's gonna rain tomorrow when Kate and I work in the back yard. (borrowed from Warlock).

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Warlock said to "Under,

This is my last word on this subject: YOU CANNOT SAY, WITH 100% CERTAINTY THAT MAN IS CAUSING GLOBAL WARMING, BECAUSE....... YOU DO NOT.......... YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION TO SAY THAT, AND IT IS PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO ARE DANGEROUS. VERY, VERY DANGEROUS.

HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT BEING BRAINWASHED INTO BELIEVING THIS THEORY? THAT IS A VERY REAL POSSIBILITY. HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE BEING TOLD THE TRUTH? YOU FELL FOR THE WTS LIE, DIDN'T YOU?

LAST THREAD. LAST COMMENT ON GLOBAL WARMING.

Warlock "

I just want to thank you personally Warlock for starting these arguments against global climate change; it just helps spread the knowledge when people keep discussing it, learning more about it, and researching because of someone making such remarks. I've certainly learned a couple things from threads like this.

So please, oh pretty please, do not make this your last word . . . after all, just because you're outnumbered by about 2,000 scientists and by a few good minds at this board does not prove that you might be mistaken - not at all. If you have a theory to prove, then by all means, prove it. We are waiting for your dissertation.

Nice posts, everyone! I wish I knew a little more about its specifics to speak on it here; I've been trying to follow along at climatology websites, but it's just so tedious to read about climatology.

Did I mis-spell "prove"? Why prove, but proof?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit