OH, THE IRONY OF IT ALL.............Global Warming

by Warlock 84 Replies latest social current

• Warlock
    Warlock

"Blizzard Targets Northeast"

"Record Snow Falls for Date in Chicago"

"Hearing on 'Warming of Planet' cancelled because of Ice Storms"

"Maryville Univ. in St. Louis cancelling screening of Al Gore's 'Inconvenient Truth' because of snowstorm"

"Valentine's Day on Ice"

And it ain't over yet.

Maybe all this cold is also caused by man. What do you think?

Warlock

• Cellist
    Cellist

I'm still waiting for global warming. And YES! I do know that it actually means extreme weather patterns. But I'm still waiting for global warming. lol

Cellist

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Warlock, excuse me, but your batwings are showing!

Swalker (knows a bat when I see one)

• Warlock
    Warlock

SWALKER! My wings are energy efficient, just like my car.

Glad you showed up.

Now, where's 5go and the rest of them?

Warlock

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

hmmm without getting into it with anyone ( I have waay too much to do to sit here and argue the finer points of climatology)(which I couldn't do well anyhooo)

Last I heard it is technically Climate Change.

So, there ye go.

Oh I do want to add......isn't it a GOOD thing to have all this snow? I mean doesn't it cool down the Warm patterns?

• lesterd
    lesterd

Reall scientists say that we are really entering the next iceage. Ice core readings show the CO2 levels 100 points higher than in the preceeding iceages at thier beginnings. They happen about every 12000 years and we are due. The heat that is causing the temperature of the seas to rise is not from the greenhouse affect, but from the tectonis plates below the oceans, thier movement and magma from small volcanos all over the sea floor. So which will it be??? FIRE or ICE?

• daystar
    daystar

In the 70s we were supposed to be experiencing global cooling. Now it's global warming.

Whatever is currently "cool" for the masses and helps the current political regimes...

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

You think one snowstorm refutes the idea of global climate change? You know better, Warlock!

Actually, global climate change is marked by disruptions in weather patterns creating weather extremes. So, that being the case, this storm was the 10th largest in Vermont's recorded weather history, therefore serving as evidence FOR climate change, not against.

I'm sure you also know that the term "global warming" is a bit of a misnomer. The current model for climate change is the melting of the polar ice caps, which is already widely documented. The flow of fresh water into the North Atlantic will affect the Gulf Stream, one of the major weather producing factors for Earth. In the past the altering of the Gulf Stream in this way actually did produce an ice age in North America.

A little study will show that global climate change doesn't mean everything is going to turn into a tropical paradise. It means some areas will be warmer, others will experience ice age conditions and glaciation and others will lose their rainfall and become arid deserts.

Considering this is the first real snowstorm we've had in New England in two years, it simply underlines how weird our weather has been recently.

S4

• Kudra
    Kudra

Daystar, I think I have seen you post that before...

It is frustrating when people pull out the same tired old "arguments" that have been repeatedly debunked and are never EVER used by anyone who has read about (scientific articles, not Time or Newsweek editorials) to argue against human caused climate change.

It's been said before on this forum by myself and I certain, others that the scientific community did not back the claim that we were causing ourselves to head into "global cooling". We should be heading towards a cooling trend, looking at the pattern for the last 800,000 years of glacials/interglacials because the orbital parameters that control these things dictate that.

The news media got a hold of that and some information on *local* cooling trends and made a few headlines about it. No one remembers it because the scientific community was not in complete consensus about it or even advocating it.

It is NOTHING like the complete consensus of climatologists and paleoclimatologists today that have found that the current warming trend that is above what can be accounted for by solar, orbital and volcanic forcing IS caused by humans.

The levels of greenhouse gases we have put into the atmosphere is vastly higher than what has been recorded in ice cores for the last 800,000 years, even accounting for the "averaging" effect of the ice layers.

I really don't understand what people do not "get" about anthropogenic climate change. The folks who say that there is no human cause of the recent warming have absolutely no scientific backing for their claims.

And now I don't wish to be offensive, but why do people argue this when they are ignorant of the issue? And ignorant is not an insult- I am totally ignorant of, say, the stock market, so I would never get into a thread spouting off about the stock market.

It is really frustrating for me to even comment on these global warming threads because of this.

Respectfully to all,

-K

• Warlock
    Warlock
    You think one snowstorm refutes the idea of global climate change? You know better, Warlock!

Seeker,

You got my point, exactly.

A few HOT summers, a few WARM winters, a few LATE winters, for that matter, do not mean that global warming is man made.

Now, our friend 5go posted some links to an article that stated reliable temp records are only available back to about 1850. How can anyone HONESTLY base a whole theory as fact, with ONLY 157 years of data, when the earth is millions of years old?

Another problem with the "scientific method" used for this theory is the conclusion reached, namely, that man is causing global warming. That is only ONE of the possibilities..........ONE.........out of how many that are possible?

Is their billions of dollars to be made from this ONE conclusion? YOU BET!

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit