Post what you think is the most violent/cruel bible passage please

by jambon1 76 Replies latest members adult

• greendawn
    greendawn

The Jews wished for the Babylonian children to be dashed and broken on the ground but they were justified since the Babylonians killed many of their children in that way. One might say why should a violent passage like this be in a sacred book but back then it was an eye for an eye. Pagan nations treated conquered people very cruelly and even punished those that hurt them seven times over, not one time.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just adding a link to Craig's new thread on Jesus' suffering:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/128999/1.ashx

• Gill
    Gill

Slight correction to the earlier post, particularly to apologise to LT, that ' it explains the nastiness of SOME of the people who claim to serve him'.

However, the OT or Hebrew scripture followers appear to have a twisted bent and malicious way about them. The same does not apply to those who choose only to follow the character of Jesus in the Greek Testament or New Testament.

I cannot see how the God of the OT is the same as the God of the NT. He must have had a lobotomy. And I do not say that to jest, either.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I love how two syllables from LT elicit's a retraction, explanation and apology Gill! LOL!

Sasha "innocent animals" - that had me laughing - although when I was a kid I remember feeling qite distressed with that. If god knows the name of every sparrow that falls, did he personally say sorry to every single animal he drowned - happy silent debates for a 7 year old to pass the time at long dull meetings, except of course when Little Toe was on the platform poking his glasses back up his nose and trying to reach the mike under his blonde hair to give the bible reading.

(Thanks Captain for that link- glad I asked.)

• Gill
    Gill

Crumpet - Absolutely NO WAY , I could NOT apologise to LT!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gill:It did raise an eyebrow, but only because I was in a pedantic mood
    Absolutely no offense taken whatsoever, even before the apology {{{hugs}}}

Crumpet:Ah, the fantasies of a young 'un
    Corrective laser eye surgery - it's given me a new lease of life!

• gumb
    gumb

To any 'Christians' here who object to this thread

: I think the point of it is to show the awful things that were either supposedly sanctioned by God or left unchallenged by him. In the case of Lot offering his daughters, the two 'men' were actually supposed to be angels of God; we don't hear of any objection by them to Lot's horrendous offer! There is no interpretation necessary in understanding the many inhumane acts attributed to God (either a through a divine command or directly by God himself). And those acts become even more reprehensible when Jehovah (the God of the Israelites) is not prepared to do his own punishing but forces other people (ie his 'servants') to do it for him. Can you imagine having to follow out some of those commands? The God of the Old Testament is more like a jealous, insecure and vindictive human being than the "God of love" that Jesus is reported as proclaiming.

Now if Jehovah really had the vile emotions that were responsible (directly or indirectly) for these atrocities he was either a liar or suffered from a split personality when he said this: "And they have built the shrines of Topheth in the Valley of Ben-hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in fire - which I never commanded, which never came to My mind." - Jeremiah 7:31 (The Jewish Bible) Thats why I view the Old Testament as the work of humans, since there is the sort of violence that is so obviously attributable to unhinged human minds.

It is also important to note that there have been more agonizing and lingering deaths than Jesus' being whipped and then enduring a day of hanging from a crux. Counted among such horrible deaths (often preceded by long periods of awful torture) are many that were instigated and actually carried out by those who claimed to represent Jesus!

And note that there is a difference between what we would naturally expect of God in contrast with human beings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit