Post what you think is the most violent/cruel bible passage please

by jambon1 76 Replies latest members adult

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

matt 24:14, still, after all is said and done.

"good news" preached to all the earth? i mean, totally jws aside. that is the most horrid scripture. that the world would be filled with this stuff. what a waste.

tetra

• Threestars
    Threestars

When I was a kid at the meetings I read the bible since I was always SO bored and was horrified and frightened. I think the scariest thing for me was how Abraham was told by Jehovah to kill his only son and just "followed orders" until he was stopped at the last minute. Just think--ole Abe is the founding father of the 3 major religions squabbling on Earth today. (I wonder why that doesn't surprise me)

I always wondered why an Israelite woman after childbirth was unclean twice as long when she gave birth to a girl. Total misogyny--the creeps.

• mia_b
    mia_b

i think the fact that a menustrating woman is unclean - god created her to bleed once a month and then declares her unclean!

but i agree that lots daughter and the concubine being offered to save the visiting bloke is the worst, totally heartless

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Gee, so many to choose from, but I'd have to say the whole flood story. Though the 10 plagues and many others are (dis)honorable mentions.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I take it this is supposed to be as a record of events, rather than our own interpretations of a passage, the "words" of a prophecy, or what may have happened if the events had unfolded differently?

My number one would be where Pilate allows an innocent man to be convicted, has him flogged to an inch of his life and then nailed to a tree to die of asphyxiation several hours later. I'm taking this account from Pilate's view, of course, since the general thrust of this thread seems to be materialist rather than theological.

After that I think I'd go for the concubine gang-bang and consequent butchery into 12 parts - no honorable burial for that one! While the outcome was no doubt worse than could have been anticipated when the concubine was handed over, I still think its dwarfed by imposing slow capital punishment on a man who is evidently innocent.

I'm not quite sure how the account of Lot's daughters is violent/cruel, unless you take the latter events from the view of Lot feeling incredible shame that his daighters were so wanton as to take advantage of him in a drunken stupor.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

LT- I liked the way you put that.

However if I may just correct you - I didnt say it was violent or cruel when I used the Lot's daughters episode - I was just trying to think of something different as all the major cruelty episodes I had thought have had already been used. I realise it wasn't cruel or violent - although they may have used their head dresses to tie him down when he protested - but thats not strictly violent.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi buddy! You must've known I couldn't let this one go!

While the outcome was no doubt worse than could have been anticipated when the concubine was handed over, I still think its dwarfed by imposing slow capital punishment on a man who is evidently innocent.

An innocent woman is gang-raped and sexually assaulted all night long - to the point of unconsciousness - whereupon she is murdered and horrifically butchered.

Jesus death is also slow and painfull, I'm not trying to water it down, but honestly, does it even come close to the suffering this woman endured? Also consider this. All parties accept that the woman was innocent - all of them. The same cannot be said for Jesus. Many Jews, including the Sanhedrin as well as the Roman legal system (Pilates hand-washing not withstanding) declared him guilty.

Jesus' death was terrible but the woman's was much, much worse!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Crumpet:Maybe he liked a little slap and tickle

Sadly not many of the violent events show much difference from the world around them at that time. That is one reason why I tend to view the Bible as a collection of testimonies of peoples' interactions with the Divine - spiritual diaries, as it were. The events in their lives are then interpreted in the context of their surroundings, understanding, and spirituality. Hence one can record a battle being given them by God, and another can record a failure due to feeling particularly distant from God at that time.

Its certainly interesting reading such things through 21st century eyes. Our views to real sex, violence and equality issues have changed radically. Maybe it is when we look to our "entertainment"that we realise that underneath very little has actually changed at all...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nic:I was looking at it from the perspective of intent. Do you think that the Levite expected his concubine to be raped to death? In contrast, Pilate knew that Jesus was going to die.

Maybe I'm out of order, but in my book intent is worse than effect, especially if the outcome is the same.

Besides, while I completely accept that gang-rape is a totally beyond being merely an unpleasant way to go, I contest that it was worse than the full events of the crucifixion.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Our perspectives are different I guess. I was simply looking at both events in isolation and if I had to choose which death I wanted for myself (insofar as a man could choose) it would certainly be the one Jesus suffered.

while I completely accept that gang-rape is a totally beyond being merely an unpleasant way to go, I contest that it was worse than the full events of the crucifixion

We'll just have to disagree on that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit