Post what you think is the most violent/cruel bible passage please

by jambon1 76 Replies latest members adult

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I agree - we'll have to agree to disagree. While both are awful ways to end a life, I think the events of the crucifixion are worse (including beating, being flayed alive until your ribs show through the flesh, having thorns stuck in your head, taken on a forced march carrying somthing that weighed at least 50lbs, having nailed driven through you, propped up in the heat of the sun while crowds jeer and gape at your naked and beaten body in full daylight, before eventual demise; all the while knowing that you are innocent but will certainly die with no hope of reprieve). Have you see the "Bashing Passion of the Christ"?

I wouldn't like either of them, but I've stated my case. What's yours?

• Xena
    Xena

hhhmmmm jesus was perfect hence one would imagine better able to handle what happened to him, not to mention he was aware of the method of his demise and able to prepare himself prior ah and yes he knew he would be resurected and rewarded for what he endured. What about the woman? Imperfect, unknowing and no hope. Tips the scales a bit IMO.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

As I stated at the outset, I was taking a materialist perspective rather than a theological one.

Define "perfect". Further, does knowing you are going to die in an agonising manner over several hours help ease the pain? I would think it would intensify it.

Just my 2p

• Xena
    Xena
    As I stated at the outset, I was taking a materialist perspective rather than a theological one.

Yes I know, I ignored that because it suited me.

Define "perfect".

I was going to go with according to the bible he was perfect but it seemed to wordy. However if he was indeed the son of God or God himself one would think that would give him a leg up over ordinary humans, yes?

Further, does knowing you are going to die in an agonising manner over several hours help ease the pain? I would think it would intensify it .

He knew it was temporary and at the end he would be resurrected and rewarded. That woman had no such hope. I would think having something to draw from would help him endure. Light at the end of the tunnel as it were.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Maybe it is when we look to our "entertainment"that we realise that underneath very little has actually changed at all...

Sharp intake of breath and puts back the Kill Bill volumes 1 and 2 for later! Does it make any difference that I know I would be revolted and appalled if I thought any violent acts on film were real. I only enjoy watching them as part of the story - if they were real it wouldn't be enterainment - it would be torture. Its hard to know if crumpet of 2 thousands years ago would have been less horrified...

Jesus knew he was coming to earth to die. The concubine didn't. He had a higher purpose and he knew it wouldnt be long before he was Master of the Universe. The poor concubine (was she childless?) had no hope for the future - her demise as far as she knew was complete and her death meaningless and pointless. Jesus had a comfort he would be remembered forever and worshipped by some. Concubine probably expected to be forgotten forever and had no comfort at the end. A positive thought in the head can diminish physical pain.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It never states that he was perfect, instead describing him as having come "in the likeness of sinful flesh".

Also, since he doesn't commment, there's no way of knowing what his state of mind was like beyond the events in the Garden of Gethsemane and the statements at judgement and on the Cross. Since all we have are suppositions and empathising, I'd rather go with the picture that's painted of a man being tortured to death using a number of ever more excruciating methods.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

You're also extrapolating thoughts from the concubine's head, without a view to the cultural context. She was the concubine of a travelling Levite (modern day Circuit overseer's wife) and hence part of Israel and had a one-way ticket into paradise...

• Xena
    Xena

Ok lets scrap perfect. Was he or wasn't he God or the son of God?

• onacruse
    onacruse
    Further, does knowing you are going to die in an agonising manner over several hours help ease the pain? I would think it would intensify it.

How about this possibility: Granting the premise that Jesus was a perfect human being, that would imply that he had such control over his mind and body that he could "block out" pain, even as some merely imperfect people can do.

I offer this idea only because, now that the subject is brought up--I can't think of a single Scripture that says that Jesus actually experienced "pain" (in the physical sense) in the crucifixion sequence.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    You're also extrapolating thoughts from the concubine's head,

Sooooo? I'm just trying to measure her pain against Jesus - you have to take into account emotions, plans for the future, etc in order to measure pain. When mental pain is great - the worst physical pain can feel in fact quite slight in comparison. Thats why many self mutilators will hurt themselves - its to balance it all out. Anyway I digress! (as usual).

She was the concubine of a travelling Levite (modern day Circuit overseer's wife) and hence part of Israel and had a one-way ticket into paradise...

And so do you, digress - I mean - bringing your sordid CO fantasies to the board. Shame on you! hehe!

Anyway I'll go back to my Social Sciences studies (served up with intermittent splashings of American Idol auditions which just had me rolling around on the floor giggling in violent agony) and let you address Mistress Xena's very valid question!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit