Post what you think is the most violent/cruel bible passage please

by jambon1 76 Replies latest members adult

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Mark Twain had said it best, in his book "Letters from the Earth"

Will you examine the Deity's morals and disposition and conduct a little further? And will you remember that in the Sunday school the little children are urged to love the Almighty, and honor him, and praise him, and make him their model and try to be as like him as they can? Read:

1 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
      2 Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites: afterward shalt thou be gathered unto thy people....
      7 And they warred against the Midianites, as the Lord commanded Moses; and they slew all the males.
      8 And they slew the kings of Midian, beside the rest of them that were slain; namely, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, five kings of Midian: Balaam also the son of Beor they slew with the sword.
      9 And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones, and took the spoil of all their cattle, and all their flocks, and all their goods.
      10 And they burnt all their cities wherein they dwelt, and all their goodly castles, with fire.
      11 And they took all the spoil, and all the prey, both of men and of beasts.
      12 And they brought the captives, and the prey, and the spoil unto Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and unto the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the camp at the plains of Moab, which are by Jordan near Jericho.
      13 And Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and all the princes of the congregation, went forth to meet them without the camp.
      14 And Moses was wroth with the officers of the host, with the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the battle.
      15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
      16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the Lord in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the Lord.
      17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
      18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

-------------------------------------------

And the booty, being the rest of the prey which the men of war had caught, was six hundred thousand and seventy thousand and five thousand sheep,
    33 And threescore and twelve thousand beeves,
    34 And threescore and one thousand asses,
    35 And thirty and two thousand persons in all, of woman that had not known man by lying with him....

Human history in all ages is red with blood, and bitter with hate, and stained with cruelties; but not since Biblical times have these features been without a limit of some kind. Even the Church, which is credited with having spilt more innocent blood, since the beginning of its supremacy, than all the political wars put together have spilt, has observed a limit. A sort of limit. But you notice that when the Lord God of Heaven and Earth, adored Father of Man, goes to war, there is no limit. He is totally without mercy -- he, who is called the Fountain of Mercy. He slays, slays, slays! All the men, all the beasts, all the boys, all the babies; also all the women and all the girls, except those that have not been deflowered.

He makes no distinction between innocent and guilty. The babies were innocent, the beasts were innocent, many of the men, many of the women, many of the boys, many of the girls were innocent, yet they had to suffer with the guilty. What the insane Father required was blood and misery; he was indifferent as to who furnished it.

The heaviest punishment of all was meted out to persons who could not by any possibility have deserved so horrible a fate -- the 32,000 virgins. Their naked privacies were probed, to make sure that they still possessed the hymen unruptured; after this humiliation they were sent away from the land that had been their home, to be sold into slavery; the worst of slaveries and the shamefulest, the slavery of prostitution; bed-slavery, to excite lust, and satisfy it with their bodies; slavery to any buyer, be he gentleman or be he a coarse and filthy ruffian.

It was the Father that inflicted this ferocious and undeserved punishment upon those bereaved and friendless virgins, whose parents and kindred he had slaughtered before their eyes. And were they praying to him for pity and rescue, meantime? Without a doubt of it.

I read this book years ago, and it was an eye opener to me! I never knew that Twain ever wrote such stuff (they never told me about it in High School, that's for certain!) After I read this book, I believe that was the turning point in whether or not I believed in the Bible or in God as I had been taught from the Bible.....

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Thanks Captian - I must see if I can get hold of this - do you know if its available anywhere as an ebook?

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Funny you should ask, I found it online in order to do my cut and paste....

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/twainlfe.htm

• Gill
    Gill

Yup! Doesn't matter which way you cut it, or how you like to paint a pretty picture, God IS BAD! That explains the sheer 'nastiness' of the people who claim to serve him, and that doesn't matter what religion you look at.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gee, ta

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

If Jesus is God's closest representative then clearly our understanding of the OT cannot be correct since Jesus was not the sort of person to hurt the innocent - in fact he was quite the opposite. In all likelhood copyists and scribes somewhere along the line corrupted what happened and wrote it to fit the bloodthirsty sensibilities of a culture thousands of years ago. Nobody who is a christian that I know worships a God of massacres but instead they worship a God of absolute mercy and justice and try to model themselves upon the NT example not the reported OT one. It is interesting that the cited nasty verses are in the OT.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Recorded human history is plagued with violent/cruel episodes. But I find it unacceptable that in the 21st century, religious sects interpret some bible passages in a manner tat it prevents followers from receiving live-giving organs, vaccinations or blood transfusions. That is the tragedy, not preventing senseless deaths, which in fact are human sacrifices to the WT, a printing empire.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Just for Qcmbr:

Luke 19:26f:

'I tell you, to all those who have, more will be given; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away. But as for these enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and slaughter them in my presence.' "

Acts 5:

But a man named Ananias, with the consent of his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property; with his wife's knowledge, he kept back some of the proceeds, and brought only a part and laid it at the apostles' feet. "Ananias," Peter asked, "why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, were not the proceeds at your disposal? How is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You did not lie to us but to God!" Now when Ananias heard these words, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard of it. The young men came and wrapped up his body, then carried him out and buried him.
    After an interval of about three hours his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. Peter said to her, "Tell me whether you and your husband sold the land for such and such a price." And she said, "Yes, that was the price." Then Peter said to her, "How is it that you have agreed together to put the Spirit of the Lord to the test? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out." Immediately she fell down at his feet and died. When the young men came in they found her dead, so they carried her out and buried her beside her husband. And great fear seized the whole church and all who heard of these things.

Acts 12:21ff:

On an appointed day Herod put on his royal robes, took his seat on the platform, and delivered a public address to them. The people kept shouting, "The voice of a god, and not of a mortal!" And immediately, because he had not given the glory to God, an angel of the Lord struck him down, and he was eaten by worms and died.

Revelation 19:17ff (among many others in this nice book):

Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly in midheaven, "Come, gather for the great supper of God, to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of the mighty, the flesh of horses and their riders--flesh of all, both free and slave, both small and great." Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against the rider on the horse and against his army. And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed in its presence the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. And the rest were killed by the sword of the rider on the horse, the sword that came from his mouth; and all the birds were gorged with their flesh.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Nark - at least it balances the books:)

Still - ones a parable, one is a quick punishment for lying (though why death - only God and those two will know), Herod wasn't a good guy nor innocent and the final judgement is a war where those who fight get beaten - fairly fair to me.

• Sasha
    Sasha

distroying the animals during the flood...Innocent animals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit