cult personality type?

by Mysterious 65 Replies latest jw friends

• becca1
    becca1

Ty: Now you're scaring me. I play with this stuff because I enjoy it, but I am not a mental health professional. That being said, you are showing lots of signs of depression. Please, see someone about this soon. There is help out there. Never give up.

• becca1
    becca1

By the way, the theory is that we are born with our personality. You may have been hurt by your dad's abuse but you have the final say. Use the strenghths of your personality to overcome. You are naturally stubborn. Dig in and fight back!

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W
    These results certainly seem in line with the eefects of my father and the org. In theory I guess Renee would be good company for someone who doesn't mind being dominated, and I would be good company for a cat.

LOL ---- I like cats.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Don't worry bout me Becca I have weathered many storms. Like you said, I'm a tough cookie. This has been the most fun and enlightenment I have had in a long time. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you so much for your positve feedback and insights.

• becca1
    becca1

I'm glad you had fun. PM me anytime. Keep your chin up and don't give up.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W
    This may be so but I'm not happy, and I reckon I have this personality type as a result of the crap in my life. If this is set in stone then, I must find a way to make the most of it. I just don't feel I have lived up to my full potential. I beleive My natural self was washed away or lost in delusion. I used to love people and Used to love going out and having fun. It has all changed. I dare say I have become the opposite of what I was by crawling into a shell to protect my inner child.

Okay, Tyrone...I think someone might need to read this again:

Tyrone--- Growing up with that...I would STRONGLY recommend therapy. It may--and does--seem like a waste of time some sessions, but the overall thread of discovery continues and transforms into a thread of continuous recovery. It winds up bing well worth it if you stick with it long enough. Honestly, it can take years to uproot the damaging effects--but there's a luminescent, floating butterfly poised to burst forth from the constriction of that grey crusted cocoon it's been housed in for so long. Sometimes someone needs to help slit a clean and careful cut through that cocoon to help the butterfly flit freely. It may feel 'too close' sometimes...it's okay. The butterfly is waiting.
  • Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Thanks Becca, have a good night...... happy face emoticon.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Your absolutely right! Thanks for highlighting that. Its easier to see myself drifting from the help I need. I tend to do that alot even with people in general. My GP suggested a shrink for me right next door and I still fighting that. I'm my own worst enemy sometimes. This thread is an absolute keeper!

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

Tyrone-------- your words:

This may be so but I'm not happy, and I reckon I have this personality type as a result of the crap in my life. If this is set in stone then, I must find a way to make the most of it. I just don't feel I have lived up to my full potential. I beleive My natural self was washed away or lost in delusion. I used to love people and Used to love going out and having fun. It has all changed. I dare say I have become the opposite of what I was by crawling into a shell to protect my inner child.

------------------------------

I think you may still be laboring under a misconception. First of all, who said personality type is set in stone? Second, why do you get the idea that any one of the personality types is negative, much less yours in particular? Remember, it's the spectrum of

healthy----------to----------UNhealthy

(not the four letters combinations) that determines whether and to what degree any of the types will manifest predominantly positively or negatively. All the personality types intersect somewhere along that continuum. ISTJ--as do each of the other 15 types--has its STRENGTHS as well as weaknesses. Check out

www.personalitypage.com

for more detail on that. Compare the other types too, to get a better idea.

I'm hearing a couple things in your 'voice' right now. One is--very predictable and NORMAL--midlife reflection and self-assessment. It's what we DO with that evaluation in these years that will determine the health or unhealth of FUTURE years. The other thing I'm hearing is thought distortion--negative self-perception out of proportion to true circumstance. In other words, you're being too hard on yourself...because it's how your father and the WTB&TS trained you to regard/ treat yourself.

THAT is something therapy can help you learn to identify and to gradually root out of your 'repertoire' of behaviors. We all have these in some areas or another...the extent to which we have been abused largely determines how far distorted our self-perceptions will be.

I'll give an example: I grew up NOT being told the positive things about myself but having the things I did wrong pointed out with a limelight, magnifying glass, derision, scorn, and/ or a lauging track. [I'm talking within the home, here.] With the negative things--or even NEUTRAL things presented with a negative twist--pointed up so readily (and virtual silence on the good stuff), I grew up believing I was DUMB.

In 7th grade, I walked around for three weeks hiding my 'different' math book because I didn't want anyone else to see that I was in the 'dumb' class. It wasn't until one day in the lunch room, when--to my horror!--a girl pulled my book from under the others in the stack and starting flipping through it that I found out differently. She said, "You're in THIS book? Wow...this looks HARD!!"

It turned out I was in the ADVANCED class--having NO idea that I was actually intelligent...because the distorted proportion of negative vs. positive feedback I had gotten up to then had given me a distorted view of myself. I saw something different about me...and immediately assumed that it meant something negative about me. That's what I'm hearing in your voice right now.

I hope you don't mind my saying that. I just think, especially since you're at an age for natural self-reflection already, that it wouln't hurt to start out this exercise in introspection with a kinder, gentler approach to yourself. Let yourself take time to get re-acquainted with that inner 'kid' you just described. He's sounds really likeable!!

which each of the personality

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Maybe I need to dominate a cat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit