Watchtower 2007 3/15 -- Is 1914 dropped?

by observer 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• observer
    observer

Watchtower 2007 3/15 is very unusual. It is titled (when freely translated) "How coming of the Christ affects you?". In the first article there is not speaking about 1914 or invisible presence. I haven't seen other articles. At page 3 it places the "coming of the christ" of Revelation 1:7 into future.

• 5go
    5go

I get the feeling thats what this year's follow the christ DC is about.

• blondie
    blondie

I think when looking at the "coming" of Christ, the WTS speaks of 3 occasions

1) When Jesus was baptized as the Messiah in 29 CE

2) When Jesus came in "kingly power" in 1914

3) When Jesus comes as executioner at the great tribulation

Which one do you think the WTS is talking about?

• garybuss
    garybuss

The problem I see with placing Jesus' parosia into the future is the loss of the period of judgement and the appointment of the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation as the "appointed" channel in 1919.

• Gill
    Gill

Just read it all and there is no mention at all of 1914, Christs invisible presence etc. It simply says on page 5 : With regard to Christ's coming, the Bible says: 'Look! He is coming with the clouds and every eye will see him.' Rev 1:7 People will not see him with their literal eyes. Since his ascension to heaven, Jesus is a 'spirit person who dwells in unapproachable light, whom not one of men has seen or can see'.' 1 Tim 6:16' .

This is all a future 'coming'. As you say, it is quite strange as it doesn't even mention the usual WTBTS clap trap on 1914 and Christs government already being in power.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS places Revelation 1:7 as yet a future time connected with the beginning of the great tribulation. There would be no mention of "presence" or 1914 in that case which is considered the second mention of Jesus "coming."

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 12/98 p. 5 Theocratic Ministry School Review ***

In harmony with Revelation 1:7, how will those who pierced Jesus see him "coming with the clouds"? [Weekly Bible reading; see w93 5/1 p. 22 par. 7.] InthedestructionatArmageddon,opposersonearthwilldiscernthatJesushascomewithpowerand

greatgloryasJehovah’sExecutioner.

*** w93 5/1 p. 22 Deliverance at the Revelation of Jesus Christ ***

That revelation is vividly portrayed by Jesus at Matthew 24:29, 30. In describing various features of the sign of his presence and of the conclusion of the system of things, he says: "The sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken." At that time "the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven." The nations of the earth "will beat themselves in lamentation, and they will see the Son of man [God’s Messianic King] coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." This "coming," er·kho´me·non in Greek, refers to Jesus’ appearing as Jehovah’s Vindicator.

This "coming" is described also by the apostle John at Revelation 1:7, where he says: "Look! He is coming with the clouds." Oh, those enemies will not actually see Jesus with literal eyes, for "the clouds" signifies that he comes invisibly to execute judgment. If mere humans were to behold his heavenly glory with the naked eye, they would be blinded, just as Saul, on the road to Damascus, was struck blind when the glorified Jesus appeared to him in a great flashing light.—Acts 9:3-8; 22:6-11.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    The problem I see with placing Jesus' parosia into the future is the loss of the period of judgement and the appointment of the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation as the "appointed" channel in 1919.

Exactly. There is no reason for them at all to abandon the date, it serves to much of a purpose. But.....

I did talk at lenght with an MTS grad regarding the 1914 date and his answers to specific questions where quite striking.

After going through each Bible text used to support the 1914 Chronology he could see that serious doubts could be raised simply on the Biblical evidence alone. That's when the discussion took a wierd turn. He stated that JWs didn't really need 1914 to point to the time of the end. I was just in shock. He continued to say that I could convince him that 1914 was wrong but it wouldn't change the fact that......

Christs 'brothers' had been gathered and sealed prior to 1935 and that the 'great crowd' had appeared. He then went into a strange discussion of how even if 1914 was wrong the events in the organizations history without a doubt prove to him that the end is here.

well.....

I don't know if this is something they specifically instructed MTS students (and gilead) with, but it may prove to be something. Resting your belief on abstract historical events that can be interpreted in any number of differant ways is a lot eaiser to defend (in ignorance of course) than pointing towards specific historical and chronological things.

What the MTS grad I was talking to did was simply bypass the entire 1914 discussion and instead used unproveable information to back up his claims about the last days. It was clever and I would not put it past the WTS at all (especially since I have a gut feeling he was taught this tatic at MTS)

• heathen
    heathen

I just read that part in the grand climax book (original version) They always said that it pertained to the future . That if you persecute a j-dubby you are also piercing jesus . They don't believe that you will actually see jesus in person but discern that he is in kingdom power . Don't know what they say in the new version . This should be an interesting comments you won't hear at the wt study , blondie thread. To me it sounds as if there is clear evidence of what's going on and it's not just seeing it in print and figuratively discerning it .

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I wish so badly they would get rid of 1914. Its so dumb.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit