Where would we be now if there was never a concept of God?

by dh 55 Replies latest jw friends

• dh
    dh

I often wonder this.

If (for the sake of argument for those who believe in God) there was no God, and no human being who ever lived had ever come up with or even had a concept of God or a higher being. Where do you think we as human beings would be today. What do you think our history would be like, and our future?

For those out there who don't believe there is a God, how infuriating it must be to have their lives so effected by what to them is essentially just a phoeny concept!

It is a type of ageless oppression is it not? Any thoughts anyone?

• RAF
    RAF

Truly I don't know I can only think and speak from experience ...

• DeusMauzzim
    DeusMauzzim

Interesting post, I often wondered about that as well.

Unfortunately the Believer has one serious advantage over the Unbeliever - His argument is simple. 1. Look how complex all of this is! 2. It must have been created by someone! 3. Worshop Him! Now try evolution or quantum mechanics in three sentences :)

As soon as an animal species becomes self-conscious (due to increased brain capacity, development of language etc.) - The concept of a God will be invented, I believe. And the trouble begins... 'God' is just a transcendental signifier in language: That-word-which-gives-meaning-to-All.

But IF we imagine it had never happened for some reason: no religion of course, no watchtower specifically :), but still wars I think - for territory, for sex, for power.. just like our fellow animals. I don't think it would have made any real difference.

No offense for any religious persons here.. these are just my views on the subject.

Respectfully,

Deus Mauzzim

• Paisley
    Paisley

For those out there who don't believe there is a God, how infuriating it must be to have their lives so effected by what to them is essentially just a phoeny concept!

It is a type of ageless oppression is it not? Any thoughts anyone?

Yes! It strikes me as an ageless oppression too, and it is somewhat infuriating!

Even recently, and of course this is only a very tiny example, at work our supervisor counseled our office "not to be taking the Lord's name in vain."

He's Catholic. So therefore we can't say "oh god."

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Have you seen those pathetic little poodles that shake all the time? We would have been like that. Afraid of our own shadows. Surviving.

The concept of something bigger than ourselves that can take care of us, or demand retribution for unsociable conduct, permitted mankind to venture far from his cave and aspire to something greater.

Before you dismiss that thought, consider this: we are where we are because we have been where we have been. It couldn't have been any other way. The results would have been vastly different from what we see around us. Do you genuinely think we could have got to this level of complexity without the intermediary stages?

On the point of Quantum, etc., I agree with Mauzzim.

Just another opinion to tussle with

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I was thinking of this yesterday as I was browsing through the bookstore and looking at the bargain books.

The thought popped into my head as I curiously looked at the books on history.

Where would we be now if there was never a concept of God?

Yes, just like that. Maybe our atoms are colliding right now.

And my answer was, it is too scary to think of. While at one point in my life I had thought that this world would be a much better place without religion, the reality is, absolutely every step man kind has taken has led us to where we are. While in some cases that could be a not so good thing, there are some beautiful things that have come out of the belief in God.

Who knows, maybe part of the evolutionary process will mean that we will truly evolve past the need to believe in God? Maybe not.

However up til now, religion has provided people with hope.

In our darkest hours, we have at times had mystical experiences which lifts us out of our despair and led us into a new light. When we thought there was no reason to hope, we have found the hand of God, which may have really been a butterfly or soft breeze, on our shoulder.

Still, the belief, lifted us. And we moved on.
    Without the concept of God, we might not have had a reason to go on. Maybe we created God, maybe he's there. Either way, I think it has played a pivotal role in our survival.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Some people will say all the pain and suffering humans experience are a result of belief in God and religion.

Then others will say all the good and kindness and humanitarian acts are a result of belief in God and religion. I guess it depends on who you're with or around.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Most of mankind did and does pretty well (at least, not significantly worse) without the exact concept of "God" -- I mean "God" as defined by Jewish, Christian and Muslim monotheism.

Otoh I doubt language and the accompanying individual reflexive consciousness would have developed without projecting and relying on some notion of "divine" (or sacred, numinous, transcendent).

Had we *evo-fiction mode* developed a collective rather than individual consciousness and consequently been less affected by the issue of individual death we might still have a religious approach of the universe, life, its/our origins and the prospect of species extinction. But we would lack the archetype of the Human Other (which makes sense only from the perspective of individual consciousness) to deal with it. It might be more "oceanic". It would be a hateless and loveless world I guess, but we probably wouldn't mind it.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

We be far more advanced as a civilization. The simple concept of God does away with the need to think. If a person can not understand where we came from the simple solution is palm to answer off to someone all powerful, all knowing, eternal etc (all concepts based on infinity, which can not be understood and difficult to argue against). Add ot that the tendency of religion to say we must not question the way of God, and religion to dictate morals, and a person has no need to think about lifes more difficult questions.

Without the concept of God people can question things and come up with answers without fear of retribution. As seen during the last couple of centuries, this has led to great leaps in technological progress and human rights. It is only by overcoming religious bigotry and superstition that over the last hundred years women, in some parts of thw world now have rights almost on par with men.

• done4good
    done4good

Have you seen those pathetic little poodles that shake all the time? We would have been like that. Afraid of our own shadows. Surviving.

The concept of something bigger than ourselves that can take care of us, or demand retribution for unsociable conduct, permitted mankind to venture far from his cave and aspire to something greater.

Before you dismiss that thought, consider this: we are where we are because we have been where we have been. It couldn't have been any other way. The results would have been vastly different from what we see around us. Do you genuinely think we could have got to this level of complexity without the intermediary stages?

On the point of Quantum, etc., I agree with Mauzzim.

LT, I like the way you think. That shows a level of insight that really goes beyond the question raised.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit