Where would we be now if there was never a concept of God?

by dh 55 Replies latest jw friends

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

humans are pattern seekers.

to wonder what our world would have been like without the god myth, would be to wonder what it would have been like with no stories or myths at all. we would be completely different animals i'd say.

god is a direct result of how we are wired. to find pattern and explain it, with stories. and God is found in all cultures because we are similar. Jung's Collective Unconscious explains this phenomena well, imo.

i think if we meet other intelliegent life forms, we will be surprised at how differently we think. mammals have a pretty unique chemical history. we may be pretty unique with the God concept too. some other life forms might not even think in terms of symbols. and this is what god is (imho of course!). a symbol for the patterns.

i can't even imagine what our world cosmos would be like.

tetra

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Not on this topic.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Most of our traceable civilizations can be accredited to the elan that was created when an exceptional human being endowed with something "special" came upon the human landscape. Society lurches forward then regresses in cycles of ever widening levels of unification while at the same time developing better ways of doing harm. The "special human" beings all claimed to be reflecting a "higher power" a "divinity" if you will. Were they all frauds or just hullcinating from an overdose of mushrooms? Why have they sparked such advancements in human civilization then had those same civilizations rot on the vine over time? Persia is a perfect example. Once the crown jewell of the world, now a backward warfaring joke for a nation mocking any freedom or degree of humanity or justice. Most of the Islamic world fits this description, but Persia was the center of human advancement at one time. Isn't this the decay that has set in all the religions and civilizations? Isn't there a descernable pattern here? Was not Europe in the depths of darkness until the brilliance of Islamic scholarship made its way north? Many would claim that humans devised the concept of "god" but could it be equally plausible that they were taught the concept from one or more of these vicergents? carmel

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

What's a vicergent ?

• zensim
    zensim

I think this q's is amusing. It's like wondering what it would be like to have the consciousness of a tree, or a camel, a rock or an alien? To have the true consciousness of something else would require complete suspension of any human consciousness (no partial observer) and have no recall of it afterwards. Otherwise, as in quantum physics (to my limited understanding), the observer is affecting the subject.

Any postulations by any of us is born from a reality and perception that has only known a concept of God - whether we consciously reject that concept or not. We are all in error and we are all in truth.

G-O-D pretty much will exist, in the million translations that abound, as long as the unknown exists. The concept of God gives balance when science is rigid or limited. It is only now, in the recent history of mankind worldwide, that the concept of God has begun to take a less positioned place.

Anyway, I just want to say for the record, on this post and all others, that I want to put my avatar next to Tetra, Nark and LT I always seem to land firmly in the centre of whatever you all say. I just wish I could express myself as intelligently.

• lowden
    lowden

We wouldn't have nutters flying into skyscrapers, people blowing themselves up, demonic crusaders and the murderous record of humankind would be much, much depreciated.

The concept of particularly the patriarchal bible god and his charlatan sons and prophets has been the worst thing that was ever foisted upon the human mind.

We have NEVER needed such a crutch.

Peace

Lowden

• free2beme
    free2beme

All concepts of a higher power have played as much of a role in building mankind up, as it has in destroying it. I think in the end, people will study our time in history and see religion as a measurement to how far society has come and the mistakes of putting to much fear on the death of ones life and not paying attention to life itself.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

jwfacts:

I dont think things would be dramatically different. You can not tell an athiest apart from a deist walking down the street.

NOW you can barely tell them apart, but 1,000 years ago, 2,000, 10,000??

Just ponder on the advancements made because of the spread of Arabic knowledge (e.g. numbers), Grecian philosophy, Roman thoughts, ambitions and engineering, and so on...

We have arrived at this point in civilisation, just as other civilisations reached various points, as a distillation of all that went before us. You can walk down the street as an athiest without fear of the sky falling on your head precisely because you live in the age that you do.

As for the impetus for creating rockets being nested in warfare, that may be where the funding came from but the wonder of what was out there spawned the imagination to explore. The attempt to get closer to "God" (a la "Tower of Babel") has been strong in our species for millenia. I assume it has been possible ever since we secured enough of a food supply to have time to think and discuss and wonder, around a camp fire.

Prior to this point of security how did Hominids view the world? Well, its not quite the bleak image that I portrayed with the shaking poodle, but we do have near ancestors to observe. They haven't exactly rocked the world with their achievements. They still wander around in territorial wee clusters and pick one anothers nits. Is this the kind of "oneness" that James portrays? Or did we need to ascend from that state to even permit such a kind of "oneness"?

To ignore history is to repeat our mistakes. To think that somehow the previous generations thought exactly like we do, but with a smaller pool of data to work from, is entirely wrong. We think the way we do because of their prior influences. Even our parents and grandparents (especially if they were Europeans during World War 2) thought differently from us, as they had different survival needs.

"Release the memes of war!!"

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I think that if things go as they are now, slowly changing things over years of time then the religion will continue on. It probably won't have the numbers it once did, but it will still limp on. I think though one big slip up could be the cause of a mass exodus. I truly think that if another 1975 debacle happens now with the internet and people being able to post talks online and literature online for everyone to see, that would be the end of the large numbers we're used to seeing.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Superb question!

Perhaps the God-concept is the greatest evolutionary culling device of all. Without God there wouldn;t have been half so many wars and therefore the planet would perhaps be much more heavily populated than it already is.

Because of the God concept fighting ensures the population is trimmed down regularly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit