Changing your diet - meat, dairy, sugar

by Pleasuredome 49 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

To me eating meat and dairy products is not the cause of the illnesses that plague modern Western society but rather the consumption of much processed food, the lack of exercise, and of course the toxic environment we live in, the food pesticides, polluted air and waters.

As long as there is a balance and we also eat plenty of legumes, fresh fruit and vegetables having some meat is not harmful.

On the other hand potatoes fried in oil that is being used over and over again as in McDonalds etc are not healthy.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I was a veggy for 10 years but had to go back on meat as I was not getting enough protein and creatine as I worked out and my muscles didn't respond to the lack of it. I was sore all the time and now I get sore a little bit but gone in two days and I work out harder now then ever, even though I am 45, my body needs the protein and could never go back on that diet again.

Everyones body is different and I think you need to LISTEN to your body and what it is telling you in eating, exercise and mentally, literally everything and especially as we get older.

abr

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Well done, Aniron. Glad to see some at least aren't buying what the health-nazis are selling! Having watched margarine go from "good" to "well, let's not talk about it", salt beginning to creep back, and even MSG (albeit under the heavily disguised form of "umami") gaining some acceptance, I take the latest dietary fads (or even the older ones) with a grain of my favourite seasoning. I find that whenever I've tried to cut down down on meat (in the old days when I still believed aspects of the Hippy philosophy), I always felt weak. Unless I've had something sourced from a deceased animal, I continue to do so. Okay, I can't speak for everybody, just myself. I find that most given wisdom in the realm of dietary health doesn't work with me.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I also tried a few times to go vegetarian but it didn't work as I felt weak mentally, a lack of energy and an inability to concentrate, and realised vegetarianism is not for me. Margarines were indeed trumpeted to be a healthy food protecting the heart with their natural unsaturated oils. But it turned out that they were harmful for the heart due to their high trans fat content. Trans fats are now the buzz word in the unhealthy food sector and they seem to have been causing the harm for which saturated fats were and still are being accused. In the end butter and lard are much healthier foodstuffs than margarines. In addition it turns out that eating a lot of polyunsaturared fats and little saturated fats as the establishment advised is disastrous for one's health.

• wednesday
    wednesday

This is a very interesting thread. I too have experimented with diet modification. I have cut all WHITE out of my diet, Now that is a lot, more than just bread, even down to croutons. I read the book, "going against the grain" and it really gave me a new perspective. I was always bloated and had fluid retention. and PMS. I stopped all White, that includes almost all starchy stuff, including potatoes. I also eat very little red meat, but this is just a preference of mine. My husband and I have switched to Salmon, and stir fry type vegs. We eat that at least 4-5 times a week. So mostly I eat fish now. it also take fish oil, I feel so much better. The fish just makes my brain function in a way I cannot describe. It's like I was asleep and suddenly I am awake.

I have read a but about dairy, and of course no sugar is the first thing I took off my list. abut i have a passion for that chocolate yogurt, the mousse type stuff. it is so good

For my efforts, I have shinny good skin, skin, bloat less, retain less fluid, and just feel more awake.

I recommend, that if you only take one supplement, take fish oil. It will, after about 3 months, even ease joint pain. I swear.

weds

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    I recommend, that if you only take one supplement, take fish oil. It will, after about 3 months, even ease joint pain. I swear.

of course, it's well know that fish oil is good for the joints. in dirk benedict's book, he says that cutting out all dairy products helpd to cure his arthritis for good. i think it all depends on what seems best for yourself, hence Avidbiblereader's quote...

Everyones body is different and I think you need to LISTEN to your body and what it is telling you in eating, exercise and mentally, literally everything and especially as we get older.
  • rebel8
    rebel8

The time I have felt the best and been the fittest is when I was following the good old food pyramid. I was too full to have any desire to eat sweets, etc.

Unfortunately for me, I rarely follow it.

• Descender
    Descender

I've been eating a bit better this year. Harldy any red meat, a couple of servings of fish a week, chicken, plenty of green veggies and fruits like bananas and apricots and nuts like almonds and peanuts. I haven't cut out cheese and milk and I don't think I will.

I've been trying to get back into a work-out schedule over the past couple of weeks and I can see a change in my body and I feel a lot stronger. But I'm still in the beginning stages, so I feel sore and a little more tired than I think I should. Maybe I need more protein.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

As for the increase of heart disease and cancers: these are diseases of old age. When the average life expectancy was 40 - 50, the diseases of old age were rare. In the 20th century, life-expectancies doubled in the first world (due to food abundance, increased hygiene and advances in medicine), and the diseases of old age increased at a previously unknown rate. Good thing or bad thing?

And yes, butter is better. I always believed so, even in the 80s when every health soundbite was about poly- or mono-unsaturates. Finally, after years of being yelled at for cooking "unhealthily", chefs can go back to cooking tasty food. They can use butter which imparts a great flavour ("Fat is flavour" often gets said by TV chefs these days) and is a great natural emulsifier. They are using salt again. They are only using olive oil when appropriate, instead of all the time.

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

If we weren't supposed to eat animals - then why did God make them out of meat?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit