Changing your diet - meat, dairy, sugar

by Pleasuredome 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i have just finished reading 'confessions of a kamikaze cowboy' by dirk benedict. in the book he talks about how 'macrobiotics' (exclusion of meat, sugar, dairy among others) helped improve his health and fight cancer. a lot of what he says about food resonates with me, so im curious. has anyone here in recent years changed their eating habits like cutting out meat, dairy products and sugar? what effects did this have on your body? can you honestly say whether you feel better now than you used to?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Hi PD,

I stopped eating meat about 3 weeks ago and have been weaning myself off of dairy. Still the occasional egg white, ounce of cheese, or teaspoon of butter. People at work are saying I look like I'm losing weight. I haven't cut out sugar, but haven't been trying to practice macrobiotics, either. Currently, I use sugar substitutes. I feel like that will change, though, once I've read up on it. Really, our body doesn't need those things!!

One thing is for sure, my stomach feels a lot better. Meat and dairy make me feel ill.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

A lot of claims have been made about the macrobiotic diet, and you might want to research it more. My ex-wife's uncle went on it to cure his MS. It didn't and he died anyway. It didn't seem to help him in any appreciable way.

S4

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

My aunt(mother side) had Cancer, she was 3rd stage, something like that.

My grandmother introduced her to the diet, no treatments, no chemo - nothing. My aunt has been Cancer free for over 20 years. I think she was on the diet for 2 years.

Brooke

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

hi LS, thats cool. keep me informed how you get on.

brookey baby, thats great that you aunt benefited from the diet in her fight against cancer. just goes to show that you dont necessarily need s**ty drugs that are more likely to kill you anyway.

seeker, i will look into it more.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Durning the past year, I have drastically reduced my red meat consumption and consumption of sugar, pastries and ice cream and fried food.. I will eat red meat maybe once a month. I've come to prefer the taste of salmon over steak. I eat veggie burgers and soy dogs and pork and beans. Lots of fruit and oatmeal. And vegetables. If I have a sweet tooth I take lowfat yogurt and put raspberries on it. To me its like an ice cream sunday and I get my dairy and fruit without the fat. I will eat chicken once a week, non fried. Chicken being a white meat digest quicker and passes thru the system quicker than red meat which can stay in your body for a long time with all its chemical additives and carcinogens.

Why? I have always read about the downside of eating meat and fried foods. Early in 2006, I went for a routine physicall. My cholesterol was over 300. I started eating primarily vegetables and fruits ie vegeburgers and dogs and salmon with in 6 weeks I had my cholesterol down to 170. I have exercised all along. So exercise lifting waits and aerobic 4 to 5 hours a week. Did not stop my cholesterol from going over 300 or droping to 170. But my doctor says it gives me a strong heart. Cholesterol clogs the arteries to the heart. Your heart can be strong and if it cant get enough blood a person can have a heart attack. Also eating this way brings my blood pressure down to normal levels. Where I have noted eating meat and fried foods elevates my blood pressure.

People are different but this is my experience and what works for me. I have encountered over the years people who can eat lots of red meat and fried foods and they say it doesnt elevate their cholesterol. But I have found they end up loosing their gal bladder. And after they loose their gal bladder then their cholesterol starts to elevate. We are what we eat and the body is a temple, if not to God then to ourselves. So I try to put the best most wholesome things I can into myself.

I know this is not a macrobiotic diet but you try to eat as healthy as you can, and in a way that is somewhat convenient and sustainable.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere
    brookey baby, thats great that you aunt benefited from the diet in her fight against cancer. just goes to show that you dont necessarily need s**ty drugs that are more likely to kill you anyway.

Hey sweetie! How have you been? Missed ya!

I thought about going that diet, but I like mixed drinks waaaayyy too much.

Brookie

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

Hey sweetie! How have you been? Missed ya!

I thought about going that diet, but I like mixed drinks waaaayyy too much.

ive been good thanks. you? ive missed ya too!

it did cross my mind just how you would cope lol

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I recently cut out dairy from my diet. I don't know why really, I think I ate too much chocolate and cheese this holiday. But I feel great since cutting it out of my diet and I've noticed I'm getting more cut definition too. I don't really have a scientific explination, just what I've observed for myself.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Never followed a particular diet, but I cut out meat around 13 years ago.

Three months ago the alcohol went the same way.

I'm slimmer and fitter than I have been in 20 years. Blood pressure is good, and cholesterol is low, so no complaints from a guy nearing 50.

tim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit