Changing your diet - meat, dairy, sugar

by Pleasuredome 49 Replies latest jw friends

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

Awesome Topic!!

Over the years I have read many books about various diets. The first place I started was Vegetarian, then I moved on to Vegan. I felt that eating Vegan was a healthier way of eating at least compared to SAD (Standard American Diet). However I really struggled to stick with it. I would go a week or two and than "cheat" (eat some dairy or meat) and I would repeat the cycle until I was back to eating SAD. The cravings were horrible!! Even when I would stick with it for months at a time I still felt really tired and still had a host of health problems. The symptoms would diminish some, but would not go away. Not only would I change my diet I would also do cleansings, fasts, etc. I did feel better but not the best that I knew I could.

So I did some more search and stumbled upon Natural Hygienic's which lead me to the Raw Vegan Diet. There are many froms of this way of eating out there and I have tried many of them but the 80/10/10 approach works the best! I really feel this is how we are supposed to eat and all I can say is that I have never felt this good in all my life. I have energy like never before, the mental fog is lifting, depression is gone! Many people who have done this long term have said that they have not had a single sick day since they went raw.

It took over a year of reading to finally decide to try it. I have been raw of and on over the past couple of months I went off raw on my anniversary to "reward" myself. That was a big mistake. All I did was reintroduce the taste of cooked food back into system and it was down hill from there. But I am now back on track and feeling wonderful!! I am not saying that it is easy to go 100% Raw Vegan. At first it is a little difficult as some "detox" is experienced by most who make the switch. However after a few days things balance out and after a few weeks the results are simply amazing.

IW

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Pleasure,

When I was diagnosed with cancer (Mantle Cell Lymphoma) I refused all conventional treatments and decided I was going to lick this disease by becoming a vegan and taking only homeopathic treatments. I even learnt a special Chi-gung exercise, known as cancer cure chi-gung, and practised religiously each morning for two hours (more when I could). I ate only organic produce, juiced fruit and veg in an expensive juicer recommended by leading juice consumers, ate raw vegetables as recommended by the Bristol Cancer care Centre, went to faith and Reiki healers (and some came here) and took recommended vitamins and minerals. In short, I did everything humanly possible to eat and live "right".

At first, my disease seemed to be in check and the large tumour under my left arm and in the left side of my neck seemed to have softened -- but it was only the lull before the storm. The disease had insidiously spread throughout my body and, at one point, there was more cancer in my bones than blood cells! I was dying!

After panic attacks brought on through my being unable to breath properly I was admitted into hospital to undergo a pleurodesis (fluid was taken from my left lung). In all, 6 litres (10 pints) of fluid was drained from my lung and I knew time was running out as I was falling apart. The cancer had also spread into my nasal region. No wonder I couldn't breath!!

The doctors told me that I had six weeks to live and that I was rapidly entering the stage when they would have to refuse treatment because to administer it (i.e. chemo) it would kill me becayuse I was so weak. I thought about my Claire. God I love that woman - and my children! My sixteen-year-old son, Dominic was suffering watching me waste away. Claire was suffering in silence and the starin emanated around the house. Even our two dogs looked forlorn. I had to accept the treatment and could only pray it wasn't too late.

Suffice to say, the chemo was murderous on my body and had I had a suicide pill to hand I would have gladly taken it. I just wanted some peace. Some respite from the incessant vomiting and diarrhoea. I was drained, gaunt and almost recognisable. I looked like a concentration camp victim.

I'm here writing this three years into my battle with cancer. I eat virtually everything now - in moderation - because there's nothing on the planet - NOTHING - that hasn't been subject to some form of pollution. Organic food is NOT as safe as the growers would have us believe. In fact, some organic produce is worse than mass produced. Believe me, I've done the research!

Given the choice, however, I prefer to eat organic produce because, in the long term, they'll get it right and wildlife prospers at the same time because no harmful sprays are used. The sad thing is, some funguses that attack organic crops are deadly to humans.

Anyway, the purpose of my writing is to point out that I was an incredibly fit man - ran a mile in 4minutes 5 seconds - and still succumbed to disease. And remember, even some vegetarians and yoga practitioners have got cancer! Bottom line, no one is spared from cancer and other nasty diseases. If one's propensity is to get the disease there's nothing much we can do about it. One can only hope one is blessed genetically with a wonderful immune system.

The Dalai Lama, whom many forget is actually a Buddhist monk primarily, didn't eat meat because of his strong convictions as to not play any part in the suffering of animals. Eventually, he deteriorated and was severely ill. Tibetan and Indian doctors told him he must start to eat meat or die. He suffered from hepatitis and is now a meat eater (in moderation, of course).

Look around and you'll find everything seems to live on something else. Suffering abounds, but, unfortunately, that's life. The best we can do is to keep fit and eat a well-balanced diet, which includes meat, fish, fruit and vegetables. And a nice piece of chocolate occasionally is a wonderful treet!

Best wishes,

Ian

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    The Dalai Lama, whom many forget is actually a Buddhist monk primarily, didn't eat meat because of his strong convictions as to not play any part in the suffering of animals. Eventually, he deteriorated and was severely ill. Tibetan and Indian doctors told him he must start to eat meat or die. He suffered from hepatitis and is now a meat eater (in moderation, of course).

hi ian. how true. you only have to look at eskimos to see how healthy they can be when they eat so much meat.

i think there are people who feel the need to change their diet but dont feel what they should change about their diet. i certainly feel the need to change my diet and i know what i need to change without being taken in by some regimented fashionable diet. i think most of us can sense what we need or need to remove from our diets, trouble is many people are all to willing to give their minds away and be told what to eat instead. same old problem, hey?

• Mary
    Mary
    has anyone here in recent years changed their eating habits like cutting out meat, dairy products and sugar? what effects did this have on your body? can you honestly say whether you feel better now than you used to?

When I was first diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, I went on a strict vegan diet, which meant absolutely no meat, dairy products or any white sugar (cancer feeds off of sugar). I ate only fresh fruits, raw and steamed vegetables and whole wheat, or whole grain bread (with no sugar), some soy/tofu, and raw nuts and seeds. Although it was incredibly difficult to stay on this way of eating, I actually felt a thousand times better and healthier. I try now to have very little red meat and seldom have dairy products (except for a bit of cream in my one cup of coffee). White sugar is the worst thing in the world for the human body and I try to steer clear and use either pure maple syrup or pure raw honey as a sweetener instead. As well, I've incorporated more fresh vegetables into my diet and try to get my 5-10 servings of fruit and veggies. The only alcohol I have is some red wine or the occasional beer in the summertime (if it's hot out).

I think our diets have a huge impact on our physical and mental health. God certainly never created the human body to be filled with pizzas, Big Macs or french fries on a regular basis and we can see the results when we do. It can be very difficult to try and eat healthy though.....we're constantly bombarded with food, food, food and 9 times out of 10, it's all advertisements for junk food. Can you imagine how much we could save in health care if we didn't fill our bodies with garbage all the time?

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving
    I'm here writing this three years into my battle with cancer. I eat virtually everything now - in moderation - because there's nothing on the planet - NOTHING - that hasn't been subject to some form of pollution. Organic food is NOT as safe as the growers would have us believe. In fact, some organic produce is worse than mass produced. Believe me, I've done the research!

I one hundred percent agree with you on this Ian. Moderation, portion control, and understanding your own personal metabolism is the key for weight management IMO.

I highly recommend the book "Turn Up The Heat" by Philip Goglia. Get off of these maddening fad diets and use an eating plan that really works for the long haul.

GBL

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, so I've made some changes in my diet. I drink a lot more water now, and I make it a point to measure/weigh my portions of food. I've reduced the amount of sugar, dairy products, and saturated fats in my diet. I've increased my intake of veggies. I'm going for walks. I've shed 40 pounds in the last 2 months.

I've stopped going out to restaurants, and I no longer buy any "convenience" foods. I cook everything for myself from scratch now. I think this has made the biggest difference - my chronic diarrhea stopped when I made this change.

I can actually run up a flight of stairs now without gasping for air afterwards.

W

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I have a problem with my weight. My whole family is very obese and I just do not want to be like that because it just makes you miserable. It hurts my self esteem too much. I'm going to be a pretty big girl no matter what I do it seems but at least I can keep myself out of the plus sizes if i'm careful.

So, I've tried every diet under the sun to see what worked for me that I could stick to long term. I tried vegiterian, vegan, low carb, low fat, this and that ...

And I ended up with a low calorie diet. I eat about 1200 calories a day and watch every one. On the weekends I quit counting and eat what I want but I eat probably half of what most people can eat. It keeps me from having cravings during the week.

I eat a breakfast bar (special k or the like) in the mornings with water. (I used to drink mountain dew every single morning and I had to stop)

Lunch is a bowl of soup and a unsweatened tea. (in the south no one drinks it without sugar!)

Snack is yogurt. And the real stuff -- not the artificial sweetner kind.

Dinner is baked fish or chicken and 2 veggies. Sometimes I'll get shrimp and eat it with some veggies.

On the weekends I eat sushi. Its pretty low fat and an awesome treat. Sometimes I sneak a mountain dew!

So.. that's it!

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Mary and Ian it is wonderful that you both beat cancer. Ian that must have been a very difficult decision to have the chemo. Sometimes we have to do it. I have thought that if I get liver cancer, a common problem with my genetic condition, that I would refuse chemo. But after reading your story I will keep an open mind. Hopefully I'll never have to make the decision. I had a precancerous uterous, had surgery and did not need chemo, they caught it early enough.

Renee I'm glad you found something that is working for you. Life is too short for self loathing because of our weight. I could never accept myself or be happy with myself when I am overweight. I have always had a obsessive compulsive eating disorder since childhood. Who needs love when we got creme cheese, ice cream and Hot Tamales?

What I like about counting calories is you can save calories for the evening munchies. I don't get hungry much during the day but at night I crave food. Even though I eat mostly raw I make sure I have some splurges. My favorite is 88% Extreme Dark Chocolate Endangered Species brand organic chocolate bar. 22 heavenly calories per squares.

I believe what you said about organic Ian. I know that it still has contamination of some sort. Here in Southern California the organic fields get contaminated by a strong strain of ecoli that was in the agriculteral water. It comes from the cattle factory farm feedlots water runoff. I get angry when they try to blame it on the organic produce instead of where it belongs. Even the media is ignorant of the facts and will lead people to believe somehow ecoli grows on produce. The USDA has it's hands dirty with factory farm kickbacks.

I think there are more nutrients in organic because of the better managed fields and absence of pesticides. The quality here of the local organic produce is incredible! I love the Farmers Market. We even bought some daisy's a month ago there and they are still fresh and alive! I keep thinking they must have rooted to look so good. My 4 year old grandaughter chose them and I told her she chose some magic flowers! Who knows how old grocery store produce is.

My biggest problem is eating out. Often I can explain what I want and get it, but all too often they mess it up and I'll get sick. My favorite place to eat makes an incredible vegan tempeh reuben with organic salad. But other than that it is a gamble. At Chinese restaurants I ask for vegetables lightly steamed without any salt or sauce with tofu, Indian and Thai I ask for it without creme.

Today I took my 16 year old Aussie dog to the vet for a check-up. I am as focused on my animals diets as I am on my own. The vet said he has never seen a dog as old as Speedy! He said he has never seen an old Aussie in this good of condition either. He said diets make all the difference.

My parrot really bitches about his diet. JWD poster Perry is an avian expert and he helped me learn about bird diets. when I changed our rescued African Senegal's diet he screamed at me and still complains everytime he eats. He throws some food out and does this high pitched screetch...lol When I try to get him to eat his veggies he makes a hilarous gagging sound and turns away.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    So where have I gone wrong?

Aniron, maybe where you're going wrong is presuming that eating healthy will make you live longer. nobody knows the day/hour etc... also presuming that diet is the only factor in creating good or bad health.

the whole point of changing your diet is to affect beneficial changes in how you feel, and by the looks of this thread the majority who have changed their diet have felt a change for the better.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

My thoughts exactly.

I call it a higher quality of life.

My dog is a perfect example. He is the oldest living aussie my vet has ever seen, and this old guy still enjoys his life. He is not in pain, eats-we have a funny little thing we do at mealtime. He gets to sniff the can lid like a cork in a bottle of fine wine.

He eats, sleeps, walks around outside with the other dogs and vists the horses, comes out to greet company, trots now and then...and sleeps some more.

All because of a lifetime of healthy food, no table scraps.

Same for me, I still have genetic disease but I have an incredible quality of life dispite it. Compared to all others with this disease my age I am at the top as far as activity goes.

I was diagnosed with lupus in the mid 80's. That is about 20 years with very few complications from it! Many have died or on dialysis after this long. People who meet me that either have it or have family and friends with it are amazed when they find out. The only sign is the butterfly rash on my face and when I use makeup that is gone.

Nursing homes are full of people who made bad dietary choices. It is not about how long you live, not for me anyway, it is about living everyday until the end to the fullest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit