That's it, we've had ENOUGH and we are MOVING!

by Schism 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Schism
    Schism

FlyingHighNow, I was born and raised here. And no, I don't give off bad vibes. Please don't be offended by anything I say, because I am not being mean, just honest. I am a little hurt that you would judge me as being the type to look down my nose at others, and so it's supposed to be my own fault that I get walked upon. Be advised that is entirely untrue, and I always have the best intentions. My mom is the happiest and most bubbly person in public, and the locals look at her like she is a crazy idiot for smiling. It's heartbreaking to be around so much negativity and the people bring me down. There are 200 frown to every smile. Come down again and see what I mean.

As a naive teenager, who thought that world was full of nice people, and I believed in southern hospitality because I'd heard do much about it, but I quickly learned that a honest smile and holding the door for the people behind me in public will get nothing in return but an ugly attitude, and it never fails. Holding the door has always been a habit of mine because it's rude to let it fall on others, but no one ever holds it for me. Even as a little girl, middle aged men and women would just walk through and not even look at me. I have family in Utah, and they fled this place. They also aknowledge the rudeness of the people here. I wish I would come across nice people every now and then.

They are not patient. Once, there was a flood here, and the rednecks were in big trucks running us in smaller cars off of the road, hanging their heads out and flicking the bird. They are too ugly and rude and I'm sick of it. I am not prejudiced. If I go out today and greet someone with a smile, it will be nice. But it won't happen.

It is not my family, or yours, but they are here and in large numbers. I was ranting, but also being very honest. I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt by what I said, but my feelings get hurt every time I still try to give a stranger a friendly greeting and they roll their eyes at me. In my experience, the people I have met in public from the northwest are the most friendly people on earth. I have never been met with rudeness. Everything is clean and the people just seem so happy. It's like another world.

I have been to the southern eastern states, like Missouri, MS, Alabama, FL. I don't like those either. They are beautiful places, especially parts of FL. But the people and the weather are the same, so I am staying away from those. I've never been to any other eastern states.

My husband will be a registered nurse when we move.

I am taking notes here of all of your suggestions.

I LOVVVVVVEEEEEEE Idaho! Thanks for reminding me! I will write some of your ideas down and maybe PM a few of you. I am still open for more suggestions!

It's nice to here that living in other places is affordable. You wouldn't believe it, but in my particular area, the cost of living is super-high. $100,000 is laughed upon for some weird reason. The grossest place on earth, and nothing under $200,000 is available. $100,000 would get you a nasty fixer uper. I always thought there was something wrong with that. $200,000 will get you a small, but clean home in the country. Want something nicer? Even a spacious one-story in the city limits? Pah, try $350,000! LOL yeah I don't get it either...

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I live in the best place in the world, but if you want to stay in the States, how about Portland, OR?

• Schism
    Schism

My family just got back from a trip to Portland and they said it stays grey. I saw the pics of the landscapes and it was pretty, but I need some blue skies :)

• Jourles
    Jourles

I have traveled and lived in many places across the US. CO is nice. But it highly depends on what you are willing to pay and put up with. The four seasons in CO is tough to find though(you have winter, a short spring - also called "mud season" in the higher elevations, medium summer, and a short fall). I would rule out Denver. Housing costs have gone up quite a bit - almost comparable to living in the high country(near the ski areas). Traffic sucks in Denver too. CA is probably out just due to home prices. If your husband is in the medical field, I know that Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Lansing Michigan are three prime spots for those in the field. GR and Lansing are affordable, with Ann Arbor being the higher of the three. Ann Arbor has the University of Michigan and Lansing has Michigan State University. Both towns are very culturally diverse(due to the colleges). We have a solid 4 seasons here as well. The state is beautiful, especially as you go further north. Home prices are near the lower end of the national average. You can buy a much larger home for less money if that is what you are looking to do. The only "hoods" I can think of are found in the core of Flint and Detroit proper. People are very friendly.

Like I said, I've lived in many different places and traveled to many, many more. I am proud to call MI home now.

<----- **oh, and my avatar pic was taken from the beach on Lake Michigan --- clean water you can swim in!)**

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Indiana is begging for nurses. Your hubby could come here and find a job easily. Cost of living is low. You can afford a nice (new if you want it) house on one salary. A coworker of my husband's just bought a cute 1 bedroom w/loft condo for $90,000. We bought our new 4 bedroom house for $157,000 three years ago. There are still new homes going for similar prices here. Life in the subrubs of Indianapolis is good, low crime and good schools. We get humidity in the summer but it's not as bad as the lower states. We have 4 seasons (spring and fall are my favs) and the winters are mild compared to the northeast.

I love it here.

• Schism
    Schism

Cool. So there's a lot of eastern people here. I have to admit, I've always been curious about those states but my dad was a Colorado-loving maniac and brought us there every year. I think I will have to take a road trip east!

I forgot to mention I needed a college for myself, but that shouldn't be too hard once I get pointed in a specific direction.

I really do like the country, and owning acres of land would be a plus. I do not want a big house. I grew up in a big house, and it was not necessary. My house now is about 2000 sq ft and I think it could stand to be a little smaller.

So, a small house, under 2000 sq ft, on 3 acres of land, in a place with 4 seasons and cleanness. I am going to start pricing them just to get an idea!

Oh, hey S4T!! I've been ok, just busy remodeling my house so I can sell it and move, lol.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I second Jourles opinion. MI is a lovely state. Ann Arbor is very expensive, however I have heard great success stories about Grand Rapids. Don't know much about Lansing itself. We have 4 seasons and usually have some snow by now (don't see it anywhere at the moment). Perhaps researching the areas you are interested in would help. Find out what areas would offer your husband a good income in a reasonably priced area to live. Good luck! Keep us posted.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Come to Western Pennsylvania on the outskirts of Pittsburgh. A place where you can still buy a beautiful house in a great neighborhood for less than $100,000.

Are you serious ? I thought the days of a home under 100,000 passed us by a decade ago.

Rub a Dub

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Based on the wish list presented, in my mind, New Mexico came to mind. Maybe something on the outskirts of Albuuerque.

New Mexico is a beautiful state.

Rub a Dub

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I thank you for your PM and have sent you a reply.

I second Jourles opinion. MI is a lovely state. Ann Arbor is very expensive, however I have heard great success stories about Grand Rapids.

I live in a suburb of Grand Rapids. I have lived in the area since 2002. I like it here, though I miss the more colorful cultures of the southern states. The crime rate is fairly low though this is changing due to the times. The scenery is manicured and fairly clean. It's pretty quiet and well, dull. People jokingly call Grand Rapids Bland Rapids. But sometimes quiet and dull can be good. There are four distinct seasons. Lots of lovely rolling farm country within 12 miles of the center of the city. Plenty of beautiful parks and walking trails. You have Lake Michigan. It's cleanliness is questionable though. It's like an inland freshwater sea, complete with white sand beaches, waves, undertow, riptides and seagulls.

Rent is low here, houses are still quite over priced, but this is changing because people are realizing their homes will not sell in this depressed economy if they don't lower the prices. It's a buyer's market. You can find some deals if you're patient. Do you like fir trees? There are billions of every variety here. Very pretty. It's a good place to raise kids, I believe, though I would not recommend doing it in Grand Rapids, but rather a suburb. You like the country? You drive for 15 minutes from the center of GR and you hit farm country. It generally stays 80 or below in the summer. You can enjoy being outside most of the time. It rains, but not tons. I'd say this is the most serene place I have lived. We have two new hospitals opening and some expansion going on. Lot's of nursing jobs.

There are many good reasons that Gerald R. Ford loved Grand Rapids. The reason they didn't live here was that Betty needed the airid climate of Southern California for health reasons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit