Anybody a member of AAA? Would you recommend it?

by AlmostAtheist 34 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Triple A has a lot of competitors. Check them all out and get the best deal. With my insurance company, I just have to call them and they take care of all of the calling. I don't even remember paying any additional fees for the basic stuff. Technology has advanced so much since the inception of Triple A. You might like having a new toy for your car. . .OnStar and GPS for instance. Check them all out.

• minimus
    minimus

I've had AAA for decades!!! They are fast, efficient and worth their charge. Plus, I've used AAA discounts on hotels and travel many times. It's been good to me.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I would definately get it!

Or some kind of roadside service.

When hubby was alive we didn't need it. He could do anything to fix a car..

But now I wouldn't be without it. I've had cars towed..(flatbed) and batteries charged and tires fixed..locked my keys in the car at a cemetary..no one around..phone locked in the car with my extra key in my purse..Thank goodness the office in the entrance was open and they let me use their phone and wait inside..it was raining.

They came in about half and hour and got my car open in no time!

Well worth the almost $100. a year I have to pay..

There are probably cheaper ones..I have the extended also. Towes over 100 miles..I did notice they are putting alimit on the amount of calls you can have now..haven't read it all yet..guess I better..but my car now is in pretty good shape..

Snoozy..

• Dagney
    Dagney

I've been a member for years, and man, does it come in handy. I've always had need for it.

I did some comparison with some other services, but for the price difference, it didn't seem worth it to change. But i would do the comparison.

Also the "Plus +" service sure came in handy the one time I had to be towed. And their travel services are nice, sometimes they even beat the other internet offers.

• new boy
    new boy

Good but all those damn meetings

Just don't drink!

• willyloman
    willyloman

It comes down to this: How old is your car?

Many new cars now come with 24/7 roadside assistance, which means they tow or bring you gas, jump start your car with a battery cable, and so forth. If you have that, AAA is a waste of money. Before you sign up, call your insurance company and see if they offer similar service. When we had an older car, we had towing insurance - a few extra dollars on my premium gave us "free" towing (with a $25 deductible). Since we started leasing new cars, however, I dropped that providion. Twice I've used the roadside assistance that came with my car(s) and both times they arrived within 30-40 minutes and took care of the problem. In the case where I ran out of gas, they poured a couple of gallons into the tank and didn't even charge me for the fuel - it was all free.

If my car was out of warranty, however, I'd compare my insurance company's roadside service with AAA and go with the lowest bidder. The main thing: Get a net under you! The peace of mind is priceless.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I use AAA and have for years. I have used it with good service every time. I just had to use it a couple months ago when my pickup broke a power steering hose. A tow truck was just driving by when he got the call and I didn't even have a 2 minute wait. Tow and go!

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

We have had it for the last year (well the Canadian version CAA) and I would say it is definately worth it. From the time we were at the drive-in movie and the battery died so the car wouldn't start at 2am, to my wife getting a flat tire less then half a block from work and them putting the spare one on while she was working, to the car running out of gas when the fuel gage quit working (on the highway at rush hour) ... it definately brings peace of mind when you need it. We just got the renewal in the mail and we'll be renewing for sure!

Kwin

• abbagail
    abbagail

Answser: Yes!

With the Southeastern AAA you get 5 service calls per year. And that's with their regular $46 plan (I don't need the PLUS 100 mile Plan right now since I don't drive that far these days).

Credit card companies, gas card companies, (and insurance companies, as already mentioned) all are incessantly offering roadside assistance deals. But I just stick with AAA because I "know" them already. I don't want to take a chance on other companies. AAA has been around the longest, it's ALL THEY DO. And they are pretty fast, usually, unless it's 2am on New Year's Eve or some other such holiday, then you may have to wait.

They've just started a new thing down here where they now have their own little white trucks that say AAA on the side. Those guys are much faster than the huge flatbed towtrucks from outside companies that they would always previously send just for a jump-start. The little-white-truck AAA guys carry new batteries in their trucks, so if yours is really really dead, they can pop a new one in your engine right on the spot.

I also like their free "books" you can get on each state of the Union, with all the hotel listings, etc., plus the maps, of course. A few years ago I was wanting a wall map/World Map and had looked at the ones online and they were pricey. Then I ordered some regular state maps from AAA, and lo and behold, they included a WORLD MAP w/o me even asking. That had never happened in all my AAA years. (I didn't even know they had World Maps). I took it as a little gift from the Holy Spirit.

As the majority has said -- it's worth it. Sign yer'self up! ;-)

/ag

• serendipity
    serendipity

I would recommend AAA for the same reasons the others have: roadside assistance, free maps, tourbooks (hotel ratings especially), trip planning, discounts.

When we bought my daughter's car, she also got roadside assistance. The battery died early Sunday morning. We called her service. They said they'd be there in 1.5 hours. We called AAA, they were there in 15 minutes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit