Anybody a member of AAA? Would you recommend it?

by AlmostAtheist 34 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'm thinking about joining the AAA Auto Club. My car is getting along in years and isn't going to get replaced any time soon. I'm imagining that my stranded-on-the-side-of-the-road moment is imminent. Having a AAA card on my person seems like a good idea.

Are YOU a AAA member? Ever had to use it? Was it a good experience? Would you recommend it?

Or is there a different form of help-you-when-you're-stranded service you would recommend instead?

Dave

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

When I saw AAA, I thought Almost Atheist Anonymous.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Dave check with your insurer to see if they offer roadside emergency. My car insurance offers it. It will, probably, be cheaper and you don't have to worry about a separate bill.

• puck
    puck

my girlfriend had it when we got together -- i totally recommend it. we've had to use it a number of times, and they are prompt, polite, and quick (for the most part). we've had to use services from getting the truck jumped to having it towed, and you get discounts some places -- not huge ones, but every little bit helps, yeah?

• Emma
    Emma

I've had a membership for years and wouldn't be without it.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Most insurers offer roadside assistance that is no diff than AAA. But if you want all the travel agency services then check out AAA. I looked into them a few years ago and found them to be quite pricey.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Here's an ad from Allstate:

http://www.allstate.com/Products/Other/MotorClub/PageRender.asp,3Fpage,3Dmain.htm

We have GEICO. I'm sure most insurers offer Roadside Assistance/Emergency now. I think that we have too many roadside policies. One came with the car that we bought; but we feel you can never be too careful when you have a handicapped member in the family. My daughter's car came with OnStar capability, we haven't activated it though. I guess we better since she got lost and couldn't find her way home.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I never had it due to having roadside assistance (and a higher car payment). But prior to that, I HAVE been "stranded on the side of the road" before, and boy, does that suck.

It happened in the winter on a busy highway with my kids in the back. One of the many tow trucks out there scouting for people like me came by. $175 to go 5 miles.

My advice-Get AAA! Winter is here and the snow is coming soon.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I have had AAA for 25 years and would not travel without it. I also love their maps and books - all free with your membership. If you buy it you must get the AAA Plus (100 mi free towing + other extras.) The regular membership is just a waste of money IMO.

One of the down sides is you usually have to wait at least an hour to get help.

On one trip my transmission went out 130 miles from my destination. The tow truck picked me up and took me the rest of the way to my daughter's work (a dealership) and it cost me $30 for the 30 mi over the 100 limit.

Another time traveling with a friend, I was driving and managed to lock the keys inside the car at a pit stop. It was late. We called a locksmith and he opened the car. I paid him and sent AAA a letter with my receipt and requested reimbursement. It arrived in no time.

Another time I had a flat on the freeway. Instead of changing the tire he loaded me up on the flatbed and dropped me off at Sam's Club. That was irritating because I didn't have a Club card. A fellow in the tire dept went ahead and changed the tire for me & I gave him a few bucks. I sent AAA a letter this time too complaining about the service and requested they reimburse me for the $$ to change the tire and also the minutes I had to use on my cell phone on hold to them trying to get help. They reimbursed me. (I now have a Sam's Club card and a cell phone with lots of minutes.)

that's my 3 cents worth :)

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

***$175.00 to go 5 miles.***

Ouch, lonelysheep!

All you need is 1 tow, or tire change, or battery jump, and it's paid for itself. I pay $53/year for peace of mind, especially since I'm dense about leaving my lights on in the winter and running down the battery.

The the "free" travel books are just so-so... but it's great to have all the maps you'll ever need... Vacation time is too precious to sit around figuring out where to go or worse, getting lost. There's an online fuel price finder which is helpful, too.

Oh... also, if you're a member traveling with someone who's not, and their car gets stuck, your benefits extend to your friend. Neat, huh?

~Sue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit