Feb 15, 2007 WT Article: Women: Obey Your Hubbies!!

by Mary 54 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

"...When encouraging Christians to be submissive even to harsh, unjust authorities, Peter explained [we should follow Christ's steps closely]. After describing how much Jesus suffereed and how he submissively endured, Peter encourage wives of unbelieving husbands [to do the same thing and to 'win them without a word.].."

Actually, Jesus usually ran like a bat out of hell when abusive mobs came after him.....and so did Paul. Only when Jesus was cornered and couldn't get away was he submissive....at least physically. However, he never failed to VERBALLY put people in their place whether they were authoritive or not.

This info also contradicts what the Society has said regarding scriptural reasons for seperation from your mate.

1) willfull financial neglect

2) spiritual endangerment ( such as a mate prohibiting one from attending meetings or strongly pushing their apostate veiws)

3) Physical abuse, that can endanger or threaten your life.

Countless of JW women seperate from their sorryass hubbies who physically abuse them and nothing is said.....at least where I live.

(maybe someone can post this from the Watchtower)

Btw.....when I get reinstated, i'm gonna pull a Charles Bronson(vigilante) against any wife abusers.....depending on how big they are. Sick bastards!

Gumby

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Gumby

when I get reinstated

Did I miss something???? I know I have been hit or miss on this site for a while, but WHAT???? Does that mean you will not visit us any more, because I will miss your posts.

• Mary
    Mary
    Gumbronson said: This info also contradicts what the Society has said regarding scriptural reasons for seperation from your mate. 1) willfull financial neglect 2) spiritual endangerment ( such as a mate prohibiting one from attending meetings or strongly pushing their apostate veiws) 3) Physical abuse, that can endanger or threaten your life. Countless of JW women seperate from their sorryass hubbies who physically abuse them and nothing is said.....at least where I live.(maybe someone can post this from the Watchtower)

You're right---they can get a Seperation, but not a scriptural divorce. If you divorce your husband for beating the shit out of you and remarry someone else, you'll be DF'd for adultery. The elders don't care about your plight, they only care about doing things by The Book. The sole exception is if your husband turns apostate. The elders will generally do anything and everything to help you get a divorce before you start to get an independent thought.

looking glass asked Gumby: Did I miss something???? I know I have been hit or miss on this site for a while, but WHAT???? Does that mean you will not visit us any more, because I will miss your posts.

Don't worry.....he'll still be posting here....otherwise I'd have ta go kick his spiritual ass.

• Gill
    Gill

Gumbronson!

Gumby, I have to ask you, what will you do if the abusive husband is too big for your vigilante tactics?

What will you do with the verbally, and emotionally abusive husbands?

At my mothers congregation the elders let my husband belittle, intimidate and humiliate my husband in public because he's such a large bloke and they're all scared of him. Would you be any different!

I must say however, that my father dare not beat my mother anymore since the occassion she took the largest kitchen knife she could fine and pointed it at him. Calmly she said, 'Do you see this? If you ever touch me again, I'm going to stick it into you!' Then she calmly put it back in the draw.

I think she should have included with 'touch', embarrass, humiliate and belittle! HeY! He'd be well punctured by now!!

• gumby
    gumby

they can get a Seperation, but not a scriptural divorce. If you divorce your husband for beating the shit out of you and remarry someone else, you'll be DF'd for adultery.

Ya but....what if you tell the elders that your new mate you just married and you never "do it" and sleep in seperate beds and never play naughty with each other? Huh?

Your right sister Mary, they expect you to remain single if you seperate on non adultrous grounds....then when ya get horny and relieve yerself, they disfellowship yer arse.....and that just ain't right....now is it?

Gumby

• Jin
    Jin

Hi i'm new, born and raised in the 'truth' . My father studied on and off for many years, yes , my mother a devote JW for over thirty years, because of her faith she remains in physically , emotionally, verbally abusive marriage. So she obeys her hubby. My sister and i left home at 18 to get away from the same abuse we received from both our parents, All that the WTS taught me was to be a bloody rebel till i die. NEver give a man any reason to think his got me under his thumb (Yes i have issues) :) What can i say , a load of croc!!! I have learned alot more being in the 'world' than going to meetings. I dread to think of where i'd be right now if i stayed in the truth. I was reading some of topics discussed on the forum last night, i remember, then i freek out. Those were honestly, the most depressing and unhappiest days of my life. I knew that when i left my parents home. I'd never have to get up early on a saturday/sunday to go knocking on people's doors to 'sell' WT and Awake! ever again! it was humiliating!

Male chauvinist run this organisartion i say. Bastards!! Woman have been fighting for their rights for centuries, why in heavens sake would mankind want to regress?! all because of an extra appendage and a chromosome.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh!

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, currently in this area you can divorce your abusive spouse without being df'd, you just can't remarry scripturally. There are legal and financial and custody issues that can crop up when only a separation is pursued and the WTS knows this.

Of course, every elder body makes their own rules.

Blondie

• gumby
    gumby

Welcome Jin, nice to have you here

Here's the article I mentioned earlier from the,

AWAKE! 02 2/8 Par. 10

DIVORCE

ANDSEPARATION

God, the Originator of marriage, designed it to be a permanent union. But is there any Scriptural reason for a person to divorce his or her mate—and one that would allow for the possibility of remarrying? Jesus addressed this matter by declaring: "I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, exceptonthegroundoffornication, and marries another commits adultery." (Matthew 19:9) Sexual infidelity by a mate is the only ground for a divorce that will allow the innocent mate to remarry.

In addition, the Bible’s words at 1 Corinthians 7:10-16, while encouraging marriage mates to stay together, allow for separation. Some, after trying very hard to preserve their marriage, feel they have no choice but to separate. What can be acceptable Scriptural grounds for such a step?

One is willfulnonsupport. When getting married, a husband assumes the responsibility of providing for his wife and children. The man who willfully fails to provide the material necessities of life "has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith." (1 Timothy 5:8) So separation is possible.

Another is extremephysicalabuse. So then, if a mate physically abuses his wife, the victim may separate. (Galatians 5:19-21; Titus 1:7) "Anyone loving violence [God’s] soul certainly hates."—Psalm 11:5.

Another ground for separation is the absoluteendangermentofabeliever’sspiritualityone’s relationship with God. When a mate’s opposition, perhaps including physical restraint, has made it impossible to pursue true worship and has imperiled the believer’s spirituality, then some believers have found it necessary to separate.—Matthew 22:37; Acts 5:27-32.

However, if divorce is pursued under such circumstances, one would not be free to enter a new marriage. According to the Bible, the only legitimate ground for divorce that permits remarriage is adultery or "fornication."—Matthew 5:32.

Gumby

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Back when I was an elder we had a situation where a wife who left her husband and was moving to another congregation. At that time all we did was show the couple the "current" articles on reasons for divorce and separation. According to those articles, she didn't have grounds (no hitting or willful non support just a crappy marriage to a weird guy) and she was upset about it and wrote the society.

In an interesting twist they came back with a vague letter which basically contradicted their WT articles about separation.

For whatever that is worth. (maybe there was some rogue progressive in the service dept at that time!)

• Scully
    Scully

In an interesting twist they came back with a vague letter which basically contradicted their WT articles about separation. It was sort of progressive.

Meaning that they had to write the Politically Correct, Legal Department™ Approved answer, knowing that their advice could come back to haunt them in court.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit