Knorr on 1914: "I don't know." - Mouthy Alert!

by compound complex 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• restrangled
    restrangled

Coco,

All I know is that when Knorr spoke to this individual he told them to keep it quiet, (in other words don't quote him from the platform.) but 1975 was indeed the year of Armegeddon. When asked about the scripture no one knows the day or the hour, it was reasoned, the scripture said "Day or Hour" but not the year.

This had to be in the early 70's. My parents bought a new home in late 73 and there was much debate before hand because the end was so close. It was finally decided to go ahead with the purchase because it was a safer house....it had a basement....and we could watch the Big A out those windows.

People were at fever pitch in our circuit as the fall of 1975 approached.

r.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Thanks CoCo and the others with the post and information, I agree with NK on his take

There are some things I know --- I know that Jehovah is God, that Christ Jesus is his Son, that he gave his life as a ransom for us, that there is a resurrection.

I have felt this way for a long time, there are certain things that are true and hold to them, others we don't know and don't try to teach as absolute truth, it doesn't bring glory to God the Father through our Lord and has nothing to do with our salvation. Stick to the Bible and be humble enough to say "I DON'T KNOW"

It reminds me of Pauls words at Romans 11:33 How unsearchable Gods ways are, somethings we dont know and we will have to wait but those things really are not that important as bring praise to them, thanks again everyone for you thoughts on this post, I wish more JWs would read this and realize the futility of following men and men who know deep inside they are wrong but want disciples for themselves instead of turning them to Christ

abr

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

If Knorr's statement was to become common knowledge to the average JW, Watchtower would say something like this...

Even Moses, a man faithful enough to Jehovah to be called His friend, expressed doubt in Jehovah. (insert scripture) Surely we can count our blessings that Jehovah is big enough to forgive such statements as we all fall short of the glory of god. (insert scripture) Blah, blah, blah, give more money. (insert cheery giver scripture) Blah, blah, blah, more field service time. (Mat. 28:19, 20) Blah, blah, blah, don't know the day and hour. (insert scripture)

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Just more astonishing double standards and hypocrisy.

The GB are free to hold and express doubts about and vote against certain of their own teachings, yet rank and file publishers are hauled up before JC's on charges of 'apostatsy' and 'causing divisions' for doing the same thing.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Now, maybe we can make the leap to couple this with the "all lies are untruth, but not all untruth is a lie" crappola.

I have heard many old-timers say that Knorr just wanted to keep those presses rolling - and that he did not give much of a hoot what Franz put in them.

I guess that was really the case. Probably the only reason he got mad about 1975 was the temporary reduction in magazine sales.

What a guy to head a religion!

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous
    Does anyone remember what killed the little monkey in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"? BAD DATES!

LOL!

• one
    one

I still beleive NHK died because of the effects of a bad date. Too much to bear after such fiasco.

• compound complex
    compound complex

bttt - for Grace!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

CoCo:

I've been re-reading CoC over the last few days, and finding it ever more interesting.

Thanks.

S4

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Gruss was passing on info from his secret Bethel informer.

I heard the same thing through the grapevine in 1979 among the "apostates" at Bethel.

We even did cartoons of it! :-))

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/toons/quak.htm

Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit