My Mom passed away today.

by Finally-Free 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

After a lenthy illness, 10 years in total, my mother, Margaret Stecko, passed away peacefully today surrounded by family. She was 84, and leaves behind 3 children, 5 grandchildren, and 8 great grandchildren. She was a JW but never shunned me. She was the only JW in my family after I left the cult and my spouse.

She had a tough life. She grew up on a poor farm, spent a few years in a concentration camp in the U.S.S.R., where she was forced to work in a coal mine as well as a farm. She lost a daughter to illness, had her other 5 year old daughter taken away and put in a separate camp with her mother (my grandmother). They reunited in Canada after the war. She lost her husband and brother in the war. While in the camp she contracted malaria. Since she could no longer work she was sent to East Germany in 1947. She escaped East Germany and made her way to Canada where she remarried and had 2 more kids, myself included. I don't know how she escaped East Germany - it's something she never spoke about. There's a lot she never talked about regarding those wartime years, but I can only imagine it was horrific. I remember as a kid in the 1960's, many times I woke up to hear her screaming because of the nightmares. Being married to a man who liked his booze didn't make life easy either, especially because he liked to pick fights with family members when drunk. Some of his binges were terrible, and I still find it very difficult to talk about what went on. She endured ill health for at least as long as I knew her. It was one thing after another, and hospitals were a big part of her life. Mine too, as a visitor. I know them all like the back of my hand.

She got involved with the JWs in the mid 1970's. It's not surprising that their promise of a "paradise" appealed to her. My leaving the JWs was another one of her great disappointments, and she always hoped I'd go back. I can't. I won't live a lie.

I take comfort in the fact that she went peacefully. I take comfort in the fact that I brought the last faint smile to her face just before she closed her eyes for the last time. That was when I made a wiseass comment about this old guy who kept coming into her room with his bathrobe open and his depends half off.

Here's a picture of her, taken October 9th of this year, holding her eighth and newest great-granddaughter.

I love you mom, and miss you already. Always will.

Walter

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I'm so very sorry for your loss. My mom died last year and it's a hard, hard thing to deal with.

Hugs,

Nina

• Scully
    Scully

((((( Walter )))))

I'm so sorry for your loss. You always talked about your mom with love and respect, and I'm sure she knew how much you loved her. You are one of the lucky ones who still was able to carry on a relationship with a JW family member after you left the cult. I'm glad you were able to do that, and only wish that more of us on JWD could be so lucky.

Love, Scully

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Oh Walter. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your beautiful tribute to your mom had me in tears. Hugs to you my friend. I'll be thinking of you in the days ahead and sending you warm thoughts. pm/email me if ackack and I can be of any assistance to you locally, even if you just want to hook up for coffee and chat.

tall penguin

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Very sorry for your loss. Happy that you and she had a good relationship.

• restrangled
    restrangled

So sorry finally free......I am dreading the same......much love to you and Mr. bird.

Take Care!

Much love, r.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

She's lucky to have had you as a son. What a nice tribute, and I'm sorry Walter that you lost her. Take care

• yesidid
    yesidid

Dear (((((Walter))))).

You were privileged to have each other. It must have been very sad for her when you left the JW's.

So it's just wonderful that she continued speaking to you. She must have left you many beautiful memories.

Take care

yesidid

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I'm sorry for your loss. From what you've told us about her hard life, she must have had great inner strength. I admire that. Its very heartening to feel the love you have for her in your post.

Respectfully, Midget

• juni
    juni

What a beautiful woman Walter. After all of the tragedy in her life and there she is smiling. What a beautiful picture to have. You have every right to be proud of her. I would be too.

I send my love and condolences to you.

Juni

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit