Dec KM indicates extreme paranoia over booking hotels NOT on the list

by truthseeker 67 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Even before I read Odrade's post, which confirmed it, I would have guessed that the wts gets some kind of kickback from hotels on the recommended list. It's a pity the jws who are being instructed to follow this procedure don't know this, as I am sure most of them don't.

I wonder how the wts would react if their recommended hotels weren't filled, and jws made their own, probably cheaper, deals. They surely can't df someone for using an "unlisted" hotel, or can they.....?

• 5go
    5go

From what I have heard the rooming dept may go the way of the food service dept soon. So many people just drive now or go to a hotel they want to be at ( man this constant repition works like a charm ) instead of the cheap ones the society gets. It really isn't that cheap I remember one year staying at a motel 6 that was cheaper than the deal the society got at other hotels, and was for the most equal to them.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Thus follows an imaginary conversation between a loyal dub and his bible study...........

ACT 1 SCENE 1

enjoying a coffee at Starbucks...

Bro. Blinders: So Joe, you're doing pretty well with your studies. I can see the fine progress you've been making.

Joe: Why thank you Bro. Blinders.

Bro. Blinders: You know Joe, I can see the appreciation you have in your heart for Jehovah and his organization. Did you know that we

have a special convention in the summer?

Joe: No I didn't brother. What's discussed there?

Bro. Blinders: Well Joe, it's a three day program of Bible instruction. The theme for next year is "Follow The Christ".

Joe: That sounds awesome! I'm going to start making arrangements. Oh, you said three days, does that mean I need to take time off?

Bro. Blinders: Well, yes Joe, but make it a matter of prayer to Jehovah. Ask your employer in advance. If you really want to please

Jehovah he will help you.

Joe: Oh, ok. I'll do that. See you next week.

SCENE 2

Out on service....

Joe: Not long to go now Bro. Blinders till our convention! I'm really lookign forward to it.

Bro Blinders: That's good to hear Joe. Jehovah's smile of approval be on you!

Joe: You know something, my whole family is coming and my two daughters as well. We'll need to stay at a hotel. I have enough points

to stay at the Hilton for the entire convention stay.

Bro Blinders: Well Joe, that's good to hear! You're whole family is coming? Wow! But Joe, could I ask you something? I'd like you to read

the Kingdom Ministry for December. There's some guidelines there for booking a hotel.

Joe: Sure!

Joe reads the guidelines...

Joe: You know brother, I didn't see the Hilton on the Recommended Lodging List. Does that mean I can't stay there?

Bro Blinders: Unfortunately Joe, that's true. You see, the Society plans the convention and rooming facilities for us months in advance, so we don't have

to worry about where we'll stay or even where to go for our lunch! Now that's Jehovah's spirit in action.

Joe: Whoa there brother, you said we don't have to worry about where we go for lunch? I already planned on taking my kids out to Red Lobster, which is only

5 minutes away.

Bro Blinders: I'm sorry Joe, but in the interests of organization Jehovah knows what's best for us, even if we don't know that ourselves. The Society wants us to

associate with the friends rather than spend our lunch time away from them. That's why they encourage us to bring a light lunch.

Joe: Oh, I guess you're right Bro. Blinders. We really don't have the money to spend at a hotel, but I'll take it to Jehovah in prayer.

ACT 2: SCENE 1

At the convention.

Joe: So Bro. Blinders, why don't we sit here together? It's the front row here and we'll have the bets view of the drama?

Bro Blinders: Hey Joe, that's great that you've found seats for all of us, usually I do that! But you know something, Jehovah's organisation is very organised.

The society have encouraged each congregation to sit in their assigned seats.

Joe: Oh, but that means we'll have to sit all the way up the back.

Bro blinders: Hey, don't worry about it Joe. Remember, it's the message coming from Jehovah himself we need to listen to, not worry about where we sit!

SCENE 2

After the convention is over. Bro. Blinders walks up to Joe and his family, who are looking rather downcast.

Bro. Blinders: Hey Joe! Well, how did you enjoy the convention? Isn't it great to be among the brothers and sisters who love you?

Joe: Actually Bro. Blinders, there's something you should know.

Bro Blinders: And what would that be?

Joe: You see Bro, Blinders, I've been studying with you for six months. You told me that I would find freedom leaving my former religion. You said you were follows of Jesus.

Yet, you've told me that I can't stay at a hotel of my choice, when it would have cost me and my family nothing, you've told us we can't go out for lunch and stretch our legs and

you've told us we can't sit anywhere else but the approved seating for our congregation. I saw some friends over the other side of the hall who I knew, but I couldn't sit next to them.

You told me about the wonderful fellowship that we can get from the friends, but to tell you truthfully, no one has come up to ask and said anything. But what really bothers me, is

that the title of this program is called "Follow The Christ", yet I didn't hear anything about Jesus himself or how we should look to him for salvation. So brother Blinders, I don't think

I will be attending meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses anymore and I wish to discontinue my study with you.

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

Pathetic isn't it?

You could end up in the Hotel Apstatia?

Surprised there isn't a guide line on how to wipe your ass.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Failure to follow the wt guidelines on hotel rooms is a sign of sprouting apostacy, at least it was for me. The last two yrs i was in, i rented from hotels that i chose. I was still a good dub, w no intentions of leaving, but still, that's how it was.

S

• VM44
    VM44

"Jehovah provides an abundance of spiritual food for his people."

Yes, but what does that have to do with what is said at the conventions?

--VM44

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

I agree with the basic principle of what the Society was talking about.
    Group rates are good for everyone who can get them: Boy Scouts, JWs, Satanists, NORML, etc.

I just balked at going them overboard with the reminders, and the guilt trip, and the hidden extra agendas.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I don't have any problem with encouraging convention delegates to stay at hotels who have accepted a rebate deal as long as disclosure is made and dealings are honest. It's normal for business conventions I attend and even things like class reunions, to book 200 rooms in a hotel and receive 10 free rooms and a meeting room and maybe one catered coffee and snacks lunch for meetings.

I'd have a problem with lack of disclosure and I'd have a problem with being "required" to stay at designated hotels. The Society could just say they get rebates and free rooms for Governing Body members and Bethel traveling staff to the listed Hotels. Me thinks the Society vastly underestimates the willingness to cooperate and they underestimate the generosity of the Witness people.

The Witness people aren't resisting the arrangements, they're resisting the spirit of the way the directions are given and they're resisting the appearance of being manipulated. Just be open and honest with them and I'd bet the people will willingly comply to a level not achievable by order directives and manipulations.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Once again, Gary has a straightforward answer. Nothing wrong with booking a block of rooms at a discount.
    There is a discount at most of these hotels, I know some of you can do better, but many cannot.
    It is the spirit that the message is delivered in- DO IT, Do not vary from our command.

CO's told elders and servants that they would need to comply or be removed from the body. TRUE.
    Gary's suggestion that it just be honestly delivered and not forced, they would get most JW's to comply.

If you are not an elder, MS, pioneer- stay where you wanted to, or get the best deal. They are powerless
    to do anything in those cases. I have a deal next year that I may use that would make the hotel free.
    The wife won't even blink at something FREE. As far as lunch outside the site goes, there's not a
    threat to remove you if you go to the restaurant. It's hard to travel and bring your own food for three days.
    Many JW's continue to see the silliness of enforcing the BRING YOUR OWN FOOD rule and go out at
    lunchtime.

I never heard of congregation arrangements for seats, but there is the rules to save them only for your
    immediate family and car group. There is some consideration in that, but if you talk on your cell phones,
    and know your buddy needs seats, I don't see a problem with that.

• restrangled
    restrangled
    - Hotels are not to begin taking reservations for our conventions before the Service Meeting during the week of January 1, 2007.
    Do not call for convention reservations prior to this time.

I remember all the Elders (my father being one of them) getting this info prior to the time it was posted and of course locked up all the good rooms at the best hotels for friends, relatives, etc. (you know, poolside) etc., So by time it was posted the best rooms at the best hotels were already gone. Some hotels were already booked solid.

I am sure this has not changed.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit