Dec KM indicates extreme paranoia over booking hotels NOT on the list

by truthseeker 67 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Over the years, the Society has included half a page in their annual guidelines when planning for and attending the District convention.

In particular, they have been very insistent that only hotels on the Recommended Lodging List be used.

The language in this month's KM is even more insistent than last years.

Here is the text in full, with the original emphasis.

Make of it what you will, but I really feel that someone should investigate why every dub has to use only the hotels approved by the Society.

Kingdom Ministry - 2007 "Follow the Christ" District Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses

Steps in Making Your Hotel Reservation

1. Call hotels during regular business hours, using the telephone numbers on the Recommended Lodging List.

2. Inform the hotel that you are attending the convention of Jehovah's Witnesses.

3. Specify the dates you will check in and check out of the hotel.

4. If no more rooms are available, call another hotel on the list.

5. Do not accep a higher rate than what is shown on the list.

6. Make your reservation, and ask for a confirmation number.

7. Make your deposit by credit card, check, or money order within ten days. Never send cash. If a deposit

is made by check or money order, write the confirmation number on the front.

Guidelines to Follow: (to add: Guidelines or Orders?)

- Stay only in hotels on the Recommended Lodging List.

- Do not call hotels that are not on the list and ask if they have a rate for our convention. Call ONLY hotels on

the recommended list.

- Hotels are not to begin taking reservations for our conventions before the Service Meeting during the week of January 1, 2007.

Do not call for convention reservations prior to this time.

- Accept only the room rates shown on the list.

- Each room reserved should be in the name of the person who will accurately use it.

- Use the reservation phone numbers on the list. Do not make your hotel reservation online unless the list indicates this should be done. (this would appear to be a new guideline)

- To comply with fire regulations, do not exceed the number of adults allowed in the hotel room, as shown on the list.

- Do not inform your congregation secretary that there are no more rooms available unless you have called ALL the hotels on the list.

- Keep your first reservation. - Matt. 5:37

- If you must cancel a reservation, do so as early as possible. Be sure to receive a cancellation number.

My comments:

Once again, the Governing Body of Princes seek to control not only where, but when you can book a hotel. The tile says "Guidelines to Follow" but this should

really read "You must follow these rules."

What a convoluted way to book a hotel. And you can't even book online unless the hotel on the list says you can.

Some questions comes to mind:

What if I have reward points to redeem for a free room?

What if I can get a free room for the convention in another hotel?

What if I can't afford to pay $500 for a 3 night stay at the Marriott?

What if I can only afford to stay at the Comfort Inn or Best Western?

What if I find a room that is cheaper than the room rates shown on the Recommended Lodging List?

page 5 of the same KM

Reserving A Hotel Room

A Recommended Lodging List of available hotels will be posted on the congregation information

board at the conclusion of the Service Meeting for the week of January 1. Follow the instructions

in the box "Steps in Making Your Hotel Reservation." If no rooms are available after you have

called all the hotels on the list or if you have a problem with a particular hotel, inform your

congregation secretary. He should contact the convention Rooming Department, using the

information at the top of this list. Do not call the branch office. If the hotels listed are not accepting

additional requests, please wait for the congregation to receive a revised list for your convention

rather than calling a hotel not on the list.

My notes:

Questions that come to mind:

1 Why are the Society telling us not to use hotels on the list?

2. Does the Society get a kickback from this, i.e. free rooms for their guest speakers and Bethelites? If so, why aren't the publishers made aware of this?

3. If no hotels are available after calling ALL the hotels, why can't a publisher find a hotel of their choice?

4. What happens if I stay in a hotel not on the Recommended Lodging List? How does this affect the Society directly or indirectly?

Speculations:

I think the Society has an incentive to make all the dubs stay at their hotels. Obviously, the society will save on money wherever possible.

It would make sense that they negotiate a block of rooms in order to get free rooms for convention speakers and Bethelites. If this is the case,

they should be honest and say so.

In all the time I have booked a hotel, it took me no more than 10 minutes. Why does the Society need a whole page, inc. boxes and paragraphs

to make a reservation? Why the paranoia over staying at a hotel not on the list.

Surely the most important thing in all this, is that we actually attend ALL THREE DAYS?

km Dec 07, paragraph 3

Attend All Three Days

Jehovah provides an abundance of spiritual food for his people. (Isa. 25:6) This includes the spiritual

banquet served at our annual conventions. It has been observed that the Friday attendance is

considerably lower than that on other days. Make it your goal to enjoy all three of the

refreshing (gag!) convention days that Jehovah's organization has prepared for us!

Side note: I thought the theme of this convention was "Follow the Christ" - seem like it should read "Follow the Governing Body"

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Par for the course, soon there will be detail guidelines on how to go to the bathroom. Maybe they are getting kickbacks???

abr

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Avid,

Their extreme insistence that we follow there "guidelines" would make any thinking dub sit up and srcatch their head?

My first question is Why?

As well as being another means of control, such as making all congregations sit in a certain section and not allowing them to go out for lunch would suggest

that the days spent at this convention is anything but refreshing.

• Odrade
    Odrade

The society receives block pricing. One of the benefits of contracting with a hotel is they get a number of rooms for free. All the Bethel heavies and their guests have use of these rooms. If the hotel doesn't fill the offered rooms at the agreed-upon rate, they begin reducing the number of free rooms. Since the JWs are told not to even call another hotel that's not on the list, they have no idea that they're getting a bum deal so "Bethel Elder Entitled" can stay at the Double Tree Suites for 4 days free.

The last two conventions we attended before we left, we "neglected" to make our reservations until after the list had expired... approximately 2 weeks before the D.C. We were able to pay significantly less for our rooms at a nice hotel, than the JW rates. All the JW sees is the rate they pay (from the list), then when they arrive at the hotel and see that the published room rate is double or triple what they are paying, they believe that the WT has negotiated a far better deal than they ever could. They don't realize that huge discounts are common hotel practice.

Has anyone ever noticed that the poor JWs who don't/can't travel due to finances, always, stay in recommended lodging, while many of those going off-list are the more well-to-do who know their way around a travel plan?

• jgnat
    jgnat

What I found funny is that, as living within driving distance of the convention, the elders must read the entire instruction verbatim.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I like it how the Bible says it when HUGE issues were brought before the apostles, just a couple of things but not wanting to burden the brothers, now that is christianity, simplistic and freedom on none salvation or life threatening issues.

abr

• Gill
    Gill

Controlled down to the last fart!!

Insane!

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear truthseeker,

I have one word...CONTROL!!!!! Rules and laws for everything!! It can't help but remind me of the Scribes & Pharasis!! Burden the people down!! It is no wonder they can choose our own toilet paper!!

Think about too, maybe the Society isn't recieving a direct kickback from the hotels, (although NOTHING would suprise me anymore!!) but if the rank and file get a break on the hotel, then they can take that money saved and feel good about using it to contribute even more at the assembly. Since many are on fixed incomes, paying full price for a room, may not alllow too much left over for the contribution box!! And we all know where that money is usually sent after the assembly!!

Just a thought..

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• sf
    sf
    Keep your first reservation. - Matt. 5:37

Hahaha!! A scripture was actually inserted here?

BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yes, keep your first reservation...

about how stupid you are for ever believing anything good about his cult.

sKally

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

This gem of a paragraph should hopefully enlighten ALL prosepctive JW's who lurk here.

Dec KM

4: Preparing Your Bible Students and Family

What a pleasure it would be to have your Bible student attend the convention at your side, experiencing first hand the warmth

of our Christian brotherhood "in the large congregation"! Inform them well in advance so that they can set aside the time to attend.

Share with them the reasons you personally enjoy attending the conventions. You can prepare the students for what to expect

by showing them our videos that contain scenes of previous conventions, especially the video United by Divine Teaching. Let

unbelieving family members also know your plans (how considerate of them!). Perhaps they can arrange to view the drama or

attend at least one day of the convention with you.

What joy! I'm overwhelmed with the love of the brotherhood!

Seems the dubs are now being encouraged to indoctrinate their prospective students with an hour of love bombing using the Society's videos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit