Could satan be the good guy?

by LtCmd.Lore 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

No.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    I have this little feeling that when gods great battle of Armageddon begins , Satan will win!

You and Blavatsky. I may be an apostate, but I wouldn't be foolish enough to put my life on it. Warlock

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

The actual text of Genesis doesn't equate the serpent who tempted Eve with Satan or a Devilish figure. In fact in the whole OT the concept of Satan is kind of shadowy. He isn't a fully formed character but more a concept of the opposition to Jehovah's will.
    It's not till the NT that a familiar Devil character shows up, which was borrowed from the mythologies and philosophies of the nations round about during the 400 years up to Jesus. Then it took the Catholic church to really put the evilness in to Satan the Devil.
    So yeah, Satan gets a raw deal. He keeps getting blamed for stuff he didn't do.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

LtCmd.

You would enjoy the fiction book JOB: A COMEDY OF JUSTICE by Robert Heinlein.
    A different look at religion and God. It answers (at least raises) the question:

What kind of God is it that would put all these tasks before people to be able to get in
    to heaven, in the worst case being Job, where God allows Satan to make Job's life
    absolutely horribly miserable over a lousy bet?

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

"plus they became unretarded, and could tell that they were naked. (Not sure how they were supposed to reproduce if they couldn't get aroused anyway, but that's not the point.)"

This is often the subject of much speculation. I favor simple explanations: They decided that being uncovered was shameful, when in fact, it wasn't. They were married, and the only
    damn humans on the whole damn planet - how could they be ashamed? This unnecessary shame was introduced.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In the spirit of the thread,
    supposing God did create Adam and Eve, and that whole thing in the garden happened- They did NOT
    die that day, they might have died eventually without eating the fruit, the animals all die.

God gave them this wonderful home, Satan (according to WTS) said that Man could rule himself
    without God's help. What did God do? Kicked Adam and Eve out of that garden.
    When men started to be successful at cultivating, God asked for their firstfruits, which started
    jealousy among brothers as to who gave God better stuff.

I am skipping the flood, because if God and Satan had a bet, the angels sort of ruined the
    conditions by going down there. Does this remind you of the movie TRADING PLACES with Eddie Murphy?
    God influenced the conditions too much his way with his solution, though. Still, things pretty much
    equalized until God looked at the city of Babel.

When men started forming a city, God said there is nothing that they won't be able to do, so
    he confused their languages and scattered them about so that they would not accomplish stuff.
    Unfair again.

So, in summary, even in the harshest of conditions, Man could have done it with the limited lives
    they were given, but God wouldn't allow it.

• robhic
  • robhic
    robhic

Here is something I posed a good while back. It sorta fits this thread:

Why is satan supposed to be so bad? What did he actually do? He gets the blame, sure, but what does he explicitly do? Can’t explain why you did something bad? Blame the devil! An excuse.

He tempted Adam & Eve by telling them the truth! If they ate from the tree they would be the equal of god. Is this true? They ate from the tree. God got pissed and threw them out. (Now, did they possess the same knowledge, attributes, etc. that god had? I don’t know that part, it’s all about them getting tossed from the garden. But I digress.)

If they did have all god’s attributes, why could he so handily bounce them from the garden? Why didn’t they fight back? There were two of them. In any case, god said if and when they ate from the tree they would die. But they lived another 900 or so years. So who lied? Not satan...

And the bit about tempting jesus. So what? He tempted him, jesus declined the offer, no-harm-no foul as far as I can see. What does satan actually do that makes him so bad?

Tell folks to slaughter women and children (but keeping the more attractive women for wives)? Destroy whole towns or civilizations? Kill 70,000 people because some guy took a census and a myriad of other nasty things? Sent the bear to slaughter 40 (?) children because they made fun of a bald guy? No, it was god (the one who supposedly loves everyone) doing this! Not satan...

God does all the reprehensible things but satan gets blamed for stuff only because he seems to be a handy scape goat the way I see it. Gotta have someone or somewhere to place blame. It seems satan is just a convenient excuse for not taking responsibility oneself.

And just for trying to make people more aware that the being they worship is an egomaniacal, self-focused, jealous, petty, vicious, capricious, mysoginistic, racist who insists that you base your whole life, without question, on his rules exclusively or he’ll kill you. Some choice. One lies yet says it is impossible for him to do so and one doesn’t lie but is called the "Father of the Lie." Say what?

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

14 But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is no wonder that his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. In the end they will get the punishment their wicked deeds deserve.

Obviously this is my thought straight from Cor, to me on this subject is like asking the Jews maybe Hitler is the good guy. No disrespect just my thoughts from the Bible

abr

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Satan works for a law firm in New York City.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit