Do elders 'frighten' you?

by gypsytart 21 Replies latest jw friends

• gypsytart
    gypsytart

I put 'frighten' in quote marks because I'm not sure that's exactly the word I'm looking for. I've been away from the borg for 10 years now, and it doesn't bother me these days when I'm called on by JWs - most of whom I know as I'm living in the same area still. I can quite happily stand up for myself to them - although I have to be a little careful what I say as I was a fader and never DF'd. My mum is still in so for her sake would prefer not to be DF'd for apostate views.

I've been called on twice in the last 3 months by a lady who I've always thought very sweet and kind, but told her very firmly I have no interest in coming back and explained some of the reasons why. Last time she called, one of the elders in the cong was working my street too, and as soon as he walked past and looked at me I felt tense because I just knew he was passing judgement on me in his mind. They can't help themselves! This could be because he attended the judicial commitees I had the 'pleasure' of experiencing. It could also be because he could get me DF'd if he really wanted to, as I live with someone and have been divorced for reasons other than so called scriptural reasons. I know that if he knocked on my door I would not answer it. I would not have the courage to talk to him. I resent feeling fear of someone like him after all this time. I don't feel I have to answer to him anymore, I'm very happy and proud of my achievements since leaving. So why does he still have this power over me??? Its very annoying. Am I alone in feeling this way?

• JH
    JH

Elders have the power to disfellowship and accuse you, and bugger up your life good... That alone can scare anyone.

I always compared elders to cops.

Cops never come over to your house to say hello. They come for something serious.

Elders are the same. They never come over to say hello, everything is jolly.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I understand your fear. I think apprehension is a better word, but I understand none the less. I am a very strong advocate of standing up to those things that scare you though. When I was younger, I didn't do that. If it scared me, I stayed away.

When I went into the army though, I made a decision that has affected me ever since. When I went up to the MEPS station for my physical and to sign the delayed entry paperwork, they told me about airborne training. Airborne training is where you learn to jump out of an airplane and have your parachute deployed for you by means of a static line attached to the plane. They showed us all a film and it scared the beeejeesus out of me. It scared me so much I was shaking but for some unknown reason I signed up. It might have been the one hundred and ten dollars I would receive for hazzardous duty pay. I truly don't know why I did it, but I did. After AIT, they shipped me down to Fort Benning, Georgia and Airborne Training.

Airborne training consisted of three weeks of extensive training: ground week, tower week, and jump week. The towers were two hundred and fifty feet high and you were attached to a parachute and then dropped. It was quite an experience. Well, even though it still scared the crap out of me, I made it through jump week with my five required jumps. Then someone mentioned blood wings to me. The idea was to put on your airborne wings without the clasps and have somone smash it into your chest, leaving two holes as a sign of how dedicated you were. Yeah, it was stupid but it scared me and I did it.

The point is that the picture we have in our mind standing next to the things that scare us are often-times skewed way out of proportion. Just by standing up to them you can prove to yourself how capable you are and how exagerated your fear was. Good luck.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I'm not scared of 'em, but they kind of creep me out. ick.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

They don't scare me, they make me sick.

• kls
    kls

Yep, that about sums it up for me.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb
    Yep, that about sums it up for me.

That, and they are a bunch of little piles of testosterone!! They have so much fear and insecurity, that they take it out on everyone else. This makes them feel "bigger"!!

shelley

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I saw one of them today at lunch with my sister and wife.

He did not acknowledge me at all [ what's new?].

I considered entering his part of the dining room and embarrassing him with my normal "if you shun me I will embarrass you till it hurts" speeches. Then I thought, why bother. He was an ass the last time I spoke with him, I imagine he still is. I think I am growing up and leaving this bunch behind now.

I would loan him toilet paper if he needed to wipe - but I have not got enough to wipe it all.

Sorry -

Jeff

• SB
    SB

they make me sick how arrogant and judgemental they are. with no formal training, they think they can be councelors and judges. disgusting, but they are victims too. how many elders are here that feel ill when you think back to how you treated people? their actions which are dictated by mind control is what makes me sick. i think i would like most of them if they snapped out of it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    So why does he still have this power over me??? Its very annoying.

Try to remember- He has absolutely no power over you.
    Your mother in the borg gives him some power over her.
    All you are doing is a kindness to your mother. I am sure
    you couldn't care less about the neighborhood JW's shunning
    you, but you are trying to help your mother not be forced to
    decide between loyalty to WTS and love for you.

I hope that helps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit