Which meeting goes first ?

by 5go 39 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They need a public talk to invite non-JW's to.
    They need a WT study to continue mind controlling enforcement sessions
    and introduce new doctrine slowly.
    They need a JW-specific meeting. This would be the service meeting as
    it is supposed to be the combined training and reminders meeting.
    It could be changed easily to suit any needs.

The School could be dropped and the Book Study could slide into it's place.
    They would have one evening and one weekend meeting. The Book
    Study would continue to enforce doctrines and encourage a reason to
    get these books out to others (remember they are a publishing company).

The Book study by itself is least supported because the entire congregation
    usually doesn't know who's missing since the groups are split.
    There is less profit in the small groups, better to gather the ever-shrinking
    numbers together in one large group. The faithful do not get enjoyment out
    of giving talks in the school, so this meeting takes the most effort to be a
    member of. It's easy to sit at any other meetings and participate or not.
    So putting the book study and service meeting together could happen.

• Jourles
    Jourles

One hint. Which of the meetings do not have a contribution box?

• blondie
    blondie

Jourles, we had a CO about 6 years ago come through who noticed there were no contribution boxes at the book studies. He had the congregation have some made up and put there...never a donation once. There were contribution boxes when I was a kid at book studies too (about 50 years ago).

Blondie

• JAVA
    JAVA
    There were contribution boxes when I was a kid at book studies too (about 50 years ago).

How interesting, I don't remember money boxes at book studies, and we had one at our home for awhile (around 1969). I wasn't a JW when I was a kid, so my JW history only goes back 40-years ago.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

The problem with eliminating the CBS (by far the least attended meeting) is that it is mainly used as a way to keep tabs on folks. The WTS has actually wanted congregations to increase the number of CBS and have no more than 15 publishers in each group. That way, the BSO has an opportunity to watch like a hawk shepherd the study group. They also want the CBS groups to met individually for Sat service. Again, the smaller the group, the more likely that you notice someone is missing. Also, don't forget about the number of books that are moved when a new book is studied. At least that meeting is the most accurately named thing in JW world.

I don't see them eliminating the school because its main purpose is to train JW men to publically speak. I could see maybe alternating the school & service meeting, thus having 2 of each per month and cutting the traditional Thursday night meeting to 1 hour. That way, it looks like they are responsive to reducing the load on the brotherhood without really doing anything.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I like your thinking Doubting Bro. That shows real thought.

They could never entirely eliminate the weeknight meeting at the KH.

Allowing the flock to go through the week without thinking JW
    thoughts for a meeting might allow them to start thinking for themselves.

Your solution is sound.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

NONE! We need all five. Which of your hand's five fingers would you cut off?

• Jourles
    Jourles
    we had a CO about 6 years ago come through who noticed there were no contribution boxes at the book studies. He had the congregation have some made up and put there

As far back as I can remember, there never was a contribution box placed in the BS homes. This CO must have made it a local or regional thang. I bet the WTS found out somehow and told him to stop it. To put CB's in peoples homes is going waaay overboard.

• blondie
    blondie

But then, Jourles, I am old enough to be your mother so my memory goes back farther. I can still remember the boxes, they were in the shape of a watchtower.

This CO was about my age so he probably remembers those days. Also, many congregations in those days and earlier met in homes.

It's amazing what time does.

Blondie

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Having contribution boxs at the CBS location is still official policy. It isn't done that often because its a pain to administer. We had a CO around the same time frame Blondie is referring to "remind" us that we were to give the friends an opportunity to contribute at each meeting.

At the time, I had a book study in my home and put a little index box. I tried to hide it but on a rare occassion, I'd find $5-$10 in there. I finally just took it out once the CO rotated. One person actually thought it was to help me offset the "cost" of having the book study in my home. When I explained to just goes to the world wide work, they said why do we need the box here then since we can contribute at the hall? That was my point as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit