Which meeting goes first ?

by 5go 39 Replies latest jw friends

• unhappy
    unhappy

I would say the book study aswell, especially as they are doing the revelation book AGAIN.

• tan
    tan

For me the bookstudy, then the Theocratic Ministry half meeting thing, then the whole meeting, then Sunday half, then Sunday whole meeting.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

The book study. The Bethelites would love to have this night free.

Blueblades

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

In the future, Jehovah's Witnesses will abandon formalized ministry (house-to-house and street work) so the KM/Service Meeting will be unnecessary.

I think there may be some type of voluntary "ministry school" for those who will be trained locally to give Sunday Bible talks. Such schools will probably be on an enrollment basis and take place one of the week nights at the hall and only involve the students and intructors. Advanced students would probably cut their teeth on Sunday sermons.

The "Book Study" groups serve a number of other purposes including allowing more individual participation and persons more comfortable with expressing their faith in smaller groups to participate. It also allows the Shepherds of the flock to be more attentive to those under their charge (in theory). So I think it will be useful in the future but it will be changed to a "Bible Study" similar to the early Berean Studies and testimonies that used to occur in the culture of the International Bible Students, where the bible itself will be studied with greater overall discussion. (Not the rote reading and parroting of the expected answers from the paragraphs that occurs today in all Book Studies.) Future Watchtower publications will be sold to individual JWs as they desire them and solely used for their personal edification.

-Eduardo

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

It would be the School and/or the Service Meeting.

The book studies are used as a lifeline in times of crisis or persecution and therefore will remain.

bczar

• 5go
    5go
    I think it should be the school. My JW friend tells me there are 2-3 cancellations every week. They eliminated the second school for that reason several years ago.

Bingo !!! Hard to keep it going when no one want to give those phony talks.

• willyloman
    willyloman

A few years ago, while still an active dub but harboring some serious doubts, I was in discussion with an old-timer, an elder I've known for decades. I told him that in my congo, there was a serious lack of urgency, which I attributed to the change in the "generation" teaching in '95. I told him that one result was that meetings were now viewed as less compulsory by an increasing number of dubs - that even those viewed as spiritually strong were now missing meetings occasionally, with no apparent repercussions.

I speculated that the WTS would at some point choose to follow the same pattern as when they cut back on conventions from 8 days to 5, to 4, and then to 3. In the same way, they could cut back on the weekly meetings so that there were only two days/nights a week instead of three. He asked which meeting I thought should be eliminated.

I said I doubted they would determine any one of them to be expendable, but the "simplification" might go something like this:

Combine the book study and the school/service meeting into one night. Shorten the book study to 30 minutes. Eliminate the instruction talk and highlights and combine the material into an opening talk, followed by two 5-minute "student" talks. Then wrap up the Service Meeting with a one 10-minute part and the announcements. All this could be done in about 65 minutes and would free up one night a week - which would be now become "family study night."

He said it was an interesting idea, but added, "We need all the spiritual food we receive from the faithful and discreet slave. Without it, the brothers would starve spiritually. Mother knows what's good for us. Besides, do you really think the friends would hold a family study on that night? Or would they just watch television?"

That's when a light went on in my head, and I knew there would be no reforming this organization.

• 5go
    5go

I too think bookstudies could go, but reorganizing it with the service meeting so only have one meeting during the week is more likely. The school in my congretion is always needing impromto talks because no one ever shows for their talk. Hence this meeting is the biggest thorn in the society side. The bookstudy could be remedied by having everyone goto the hall.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Which meeting goes first?..Your not with the program..When has the WBT$ ever eased up on thier Victims?..Jehovah`s Witness`s haven`t done enough..Jehovah`s Witness`s haven`t suffered enough..WBT$ would add a meeting,before they would ever cancel a meeting.....WBT$ wants more!..Much more..Are you a good enough Jehovah`s Witness?...OUTLAW

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wasn't the combining of the TMS and the Service meeting a "simplification"?

AND the quarterly examination (whatever the heck it is called) is now unmarked. It runs just like the Q & A after the Sunday talk.

My first thought is that the BS could go. But perhaps they would keep the same NUMBER of meetings during the week (must keep up the indoctrination) but reduce some of the activities?

How about cutting the WT review with Q & A on Sunday?

Converting D2D to phone solicitation (bring in the doughnuts)?

Cut the TMS parts on Thursday evenings?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit