Which meeting goes first ?

by 5go 39 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

My vote is the book study because they don't usually have a contribution box there.

• dmouse
    dmouse

When we had the book study at my house, about five years ago, the elder used to bring an old tobbaco tin with a typed 'contributions' taped to the top, which he left on the shelf until he went home. One elderly sister always put £1 in every week but I think she was the only one.

I don't think the WBTS will drop any meetings - they are all needed for control, especially the book-study. That's where you are missed more if you don't go and they can check up on you.

I was thinking when I read the title of this thread it meant - which meeting do you miss first when you are fading away. I think it would be the Service meetings midweek, as the Watchtower study...(sorry, 'Bible study with the aid of the Watchtower') has more of an air of importance to it as the primary channel through which the faithful are force-fed. The book-study is harder to skip because your absence will be noted more readily.

• 5go
    5go

Funny in my hall they're lucky to get 60% to attend they BS. All they other meetings are OK but there nearly no particpation in the school this seems to be a problem in my circuit and district as well. BS study is the one I usualy miss with few repercussions.

• Gopher
    Gopher

They have to keep the Book Study going. They cannot get rid of their BS, they are so full of it !

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The logical one is the book study

• free @ last
    free @ last

Willyoman was a prophet! Hit the nail. In what year did they finally combine the weekday meetings?

• finally awake
    finally awake

I don't remember what year it was, but I know it was sometime after my youngest was born, which was in July 2007

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

2009? Or 2008?

Family worship night- why bother?

• blondie
    blondie

So no meeting went yet just combined on the same night as the TMS and service meeting. I felt the WTS that the book study was hard to control, 2 or more locations, hard to find a family home, conductors, and many "apostate" influences started in book study groups with rogue conductors who had a personality "cult."

I remember the days that there were no assigned paragraphs for each week at the book study; book studies could be at 5 different points when there were 5 book studies. The CO and his wife used to visit a book study and the wife would say they never studied a book all the way through in order by paragraphs because every congregation was at a different point. I really think it was for their sake the WTS set up a paragraph schedule by week.

There used to be a meeting on Saturday night during the CO visit as well at the KH called Continue in the Things That You Learned . The questions were handed out in advance...basically only the ones that commented regularly at the WT Study prepared. This was eventually combined with the book study on Thursday night in 1990.

But I remember the days when the WTS said this:

*** w71 11/15 p. 700 A “Body of Elders” with Rotating Chairmanship ***

. A circuit servant is simply an elder appointed by the Society to visit congregations to build them up spiritually and take the lead in the field service. His being a circuit servant does not mean that he is better qualified than are the local elders. Often the Society uses congregation servants to be circuit servants on weekends to serve other congregations in the vicinity. These congregation servants or other servants are used because they are qualified to give spiritual advice and counsel. The circuit servant or district servant should never think himself superior to the “body of elders” in the congregation. He should consider himself as an elder sent to the congregation by the Society to give what help and assistance he can offer and to encourage the whole congregation to press on in their grand work. The “body of elders” in the congregation should look forward twice a year to the visit of the circuit servant, who is also an elder, knowing that he will bring some good spiritual counsel from the Word of God and that he himself will set a good lead in the field service.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

blondie >>> Exactly, they will keep all the meetings, just shorten them here and there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit