Scriptures the Org never quotes in talks or publications.

by wanderlustguy 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

"In case you go out to the battle against your enemies and Jehovah your God has given them into your hand and you have carried them away captive; 11 and you have seen among the captives a woman beautiful in form, and you have got attached to her and taken her for your wife, 12 you must then bring her into the midst of your house. She must now shave her head and attend to her nails, 13 and remove the mantle of her captivity from off her and dwell in your house and weep for her father and her mother a whole lunar month; and after that you should have relations with her, and you must take possession of her as your bride, and she must become your wife. 14 And it must occur that if you have found no delight in her, you must then send her away, agreeably to her own soul; but you must by no means sell her for money. You must not deal tyrannically with her after you have humiliated her.

deuteronomy 21 : 10 - 14

what's that about.......some explanation has been given for verses 10 - 13 ...but nothing about verse 14......ever

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have yet to see a talk or article on the transfiguration. Matthew 17:2-5 Mark 9:3-6 Luke 9:32-34

What of the thief on the cross? "Today you will be with me in paradise." Luke 23:42-44

• TheListener
    TheListener

jgnat,

there are plenty of wt articles on the thief on the cross. They just change the location of a comma and voila! paradise isn't today after all.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

(Amos 5:18) 18 "‘Woe to those who are craving the day of Jehovah! What, then, will the day of Jehovah mean to YOU people? It will be darkness, and no light,

• Jourles
    Jourles

Hebrews 11:13-16 ---

13 In faith all these died, although they did not get the [fulfillment of the] promises, but they saw them afar off and welcomed them and publicly declared that they were strangers and temporary residents in the land. 14 For those who say such things give evidence that they are earnestly seeking a place of their own. 15 And yet, if they had indeed kept remembering that [place] from which they had gone forth, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 But now they are reaching out for a better [place], that is, one belonging to heaven. Hence God is not ashamed of them, to be called upon as their God, for he has made a city ready for them.

Primarily versus 15 & 16. I recall one evening at the meeting I poked my wife and told her they wouldn't address these scriptures. Sure enough, the bro going over the chapter during the number 1 talk didn't even talk about it. He went over verse 13, but skipped on over the rest. I nudged my wife and said, "I told you so." She had that bewildered look upon her face as if thinking, "How did he know they would skip over those scriptures??"

• M.J.
    M.J.

1 Timothy 2 is one of those selectively quoted chapters. They're sure to hit verses 9-15, but verses 1-8 are a bit uncomfortable.

Take verses 1-2:
    I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.

When is the last time you heard a JW pray for President Bush?

Then of course there's verse 5:
    For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Oops! Not ALL men!

Another one they wouldn't highlight is verse 8:
    I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.

Just TRY lifting up your hands at the KH during the prayer and see what happens!

Some other related verses they probably woudn't harp on:

Psalm 63:4
    I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.

Psalm 134:2
    Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and praise the LORD.

Psalm 141:2
    May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.

• A-Team
    A-Team

Take verses 1-2:
    I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.

When is the last time you heard a JW pray for President Bush?

You should have seen the look on this elder's face when his own guy he had with him during a "Free Bible study" quoted this scripture after I bought up the fact that You were suppose to do this. They elder got pretty sick, especially after the young JW basically destoryed his theology on government.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

One I just read yesterday in Romans but correlates to John 10:16

16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

Romans 8:9-11

9 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

I was taught for 22 years that only 144,000 can have God's Spirit IN them, the rest well, we were not so fortunate. Jesus said the other sheep are his, but you can't be unless you have God's Spirit in you, not on you. If not them you cannot be of the other sheep.

Hey there not my words.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think the book of Romans is a problem for the watchtower.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

The NWT speaking of Christ

Isa 53:10

But Jehovah himself took delight in crushing him; he made him sick. If you will set his soul as a guilt offering, he will see his offspring, he will prolong [his] days, and in his hand what is the delight of Jehovah will succeed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit