What is your favorite classical music piece and artist?

by restrangled 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

restragled....I have Saint Saens' Aquarium right on my desktop. I especially like the surf rock version that used to give Space Mountain a real spacy feel.

My favorite semi-classical work is, of course, the Carmina Burana (Carl Orff). In high school, I memorized a good chunk of the Latin lyrics. My favorite pieces in it are the "Ego sum abbas" one (great comical effect), "Circa mea pectora," the exquisite "Ave formosissima", the fun "Tempus est iocundum," the elegant "Ecce gratum," and of course the bombastic "O Fortuna" that is unfortunately bastardized in almost every damn movie trailer.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

j.s. bachs' suite for solo cello in Dminor....

but all the cello suites are SO worth it. i have yo yo ma's recording, and pablo casal's. yo yo ma is technically a genius, and it's beautiful. but when i hear the casal recordings, i feel a certain soul.

peace,\

tetra

• caligirl
    caligirl

Suite bergamasque 1890, Clair de lune by Claude Debussy

• blondie
    blondie

Carmina Burana

Egmont Overture

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Juni - Vivaldi

I have a soft spot for the Nutcracker Suite for some reason.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

rachmaninov's third. it is insane to see that performed live. made me all emotional

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Sibelius. Symph no 2 in D Op 43. You can almost hear the artic breezes blowing in as the horns and strings combine, especially in the third movement.

Cheers

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Mmmm... I no longer have a favorite anything I guess, but I'll try.

Anything from Bach, but if I had to pick one, the aria Erbarme dich in St. Matthew's Passion.

Most from Mozart, especially in Die Zauberflöte or Don Giovanni.

Beethoven's piano sonatas, with a mention for the 2nd movement of the Pathetique.

Schubert's Lieder, Impromptus, or the Quintet in C.

Most of Chopin, especially the 1st etude.

About all of Schumann's chamber music and Lieder.

Wagner's overtures, e.g. Tristan or Tannhaüser.

Much of Mahler, particulary Des Knaben Wundenhorn.

Fauré's Mélodies, Requiem, and most piano and chamber music.

And Debussy, Ravel...

• kid-A
    kid-A

Bela Bartok: concerto for violin, Nos. 1 & 2.

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Tchaikovsky - 'the nutcracker suite', when I heard this for the first time with a set of quality headphone, it actually felt like I was getting high. I'll never forget the rush I got from it. I actually got into classical music because of this piece.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit