What is your favorite classical music piece and artist?

by restrangled 57 Replies latest jw friends

• uninformed
    uninformed

Ritual Fire Dance is a great one too.

Forget who did it.

U

• hubert
    hubert

Victory at Sea...... Rodgers and Hammerstein.

I watched the series on black and white t.v. in the 50's and loved it. I would actually feel like I was on the ocean when listening to that sound track. In fact, I have it on my computer, and play it often. I take my seasick pills first though, just in case.

Hubert

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Chopin in E flat Opus 9 No 2

and Vivaldi 4 Seasons

There is one other Chopin, but I can't find it, it's another Nocturne, but I don't have it readily available at the moment.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Too many choices! As a classically trained pianist I am partial to that genre although I do love to listen to many different styles and eras. I probably lean toward the Romantics and have worked on Debussey, Liszt (La Campanella always makes me shake my head in wonder), Rachmaninoff...I gave a concert last year and enjoyed playing Wedding Day at Troldhaugen (Greig) and Hopak (Mussorgsky). I guess I enjoy the crash, bang pieces! Can't say that I enjoy 12 tone or atonal music. The more I play, the more pieces and composers I find to admire.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Quite agree with Moggy Lover on Sibelius:

The upward and downward swirling of the strings....

The forlorn yet majestic statements by the brass....

The plaintive call of the woodwinds....

The melodic and harmonic juxtapositioning, the interplay among the various instruments, the "arctic" soul, yet with surprising rushes of a warm breeze over the landscape...Sibelius is a universal treasure.

Totally and forever in awe,

Compound-Complex

• beksbks
    beksbks

How come you guys weren't this interesting when I was here a few months ago? Just Kiddin'!

Bellini "Casta Diva" from Norma. Pachelbels Canon......oh my gosh. Mascagni Cavalleria rusticana "Intermezzo" .........where's the tissue?. Puccini "O mio babbino caro" from Gianni Schicchi. Also Puccini "Che gelida manina" from La Boheme. Mozart "Che soave zeffiretto" from The Marriage of Figaro. Almost anything from Tchaikovsky, Griegs Piano Concerto, many pieces by Mendelssohn...................never mind. It all makes my soul ache.

I have often wondered though, how much of this would feel if interpreted by say, Jimmy Page or Carlos Santana.........

• compound complex
    compound complex

The latest references to operatic fare reminded me of Giacomo Puccini's

Nessun Dorma, from Turandot,

put to a most unusual but effective use at the conclusion of the movie

The Sum Of All Fears, 2002.

• yesidid
    yesidid

Love the Humming Chorus from Madam Butterfly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest