A SIMPLE EXPLANATION of why TIME TRAVEL doesn't work

by Terry 81 Replies latest jw friends

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

new boy:

What if there is no such thing as time! And everything is happening in the same instant! The the one and only eternal moment!

and we look as if through a straw at an infinite mural.

Who is it that would travel through time? Is there really an isolated-individual-entity separate enough from phenominal time/space existence that he or she could truly venture to move through it? Or is it all just a wondrous story preformed by, and for, the same unmoving consciousness which looks out every eye?

The unending ocean of Is-ness and Being watching bubbles within in itself, which are itself. There is no other; and so no real passing or travel.

Too many Bloody Marys, perhaps. (sounds British)

• skyking
    skyking

You are correct I am was wrong the clock on board after landing was slightly slower. I'm bad.

• zagor
    zagor
    Energy and matter are neither created nor destroyed.

Wrong! The very core of E=mc2 is that matter can be created out of energy and vice versa. I

here is something for you to read from http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/11/28/rumpelstiltskin_spa.html

Nov. 28, 2006 — Astronomers have found a gigantic cosmic "Rumpelstiltskin" that is spinning light into matter and giving off lighthouse-like pulses of gamma rays.

The bizarre duo responsible for this miraculous feat of physics is a giant blue star and either a black hole or a rapidly spinning neutron star.

Together, the pair is dubbed LS 5039. The blue star is about 20 times the mass of our sun and is in a very close four-day orbital dance with its unseen compact companion.

The two are separated by a distance that ranges from about 20 to 40 million miles — just a fraction of the distance between Earth and the Sun.

The smaller companion (either a black hole or neutron star) had been spotted previously by radio and X-ray telescopes as it spews out jets of near-light-speed particles from its poles.

"It could also be a rapidly rotating, magnetized neutron star like the Crab Pulsar," said Mathieu de Naurois, of the Laboratoire de Physique Nucleaire des Hautes Energies in Paris, France.

The jetting of near-light-speed particles is what creates gamma rays — the most energetic kind of light there is — as the emitted particles slam into each other.

De Naurois is part of the international High Energy Stereoscopic System team which detected LS 5039’s curious telltale gamma ray pattern using a specialized telescope array in Namibia. They reported their discovery in the latest issue of the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics.

"There are several tens of similar systems in the Milky Way detected primarily (in) X-rays," said Demo Kazanas an astrophysicist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center. "This is important because it is detected at photon energies a billion times larger than X-rays. It is also important because it is the first such binary system which shows modulation at these high energies."

It's that modulation, or variation, of the most powerful sort of light in the universe which signals that matter is being made out of light.

"We’re talking about light that’s a trillion times more powerful than the light we see with our eyes," said cosmic gamma ray researcher Dave Thompson, also of NASA/Goddard.

This extremely high energy enables gamma ray photons to do something that lower energy light photons can’t — invoke Einstein’s famous equation, E = mc2, and convert light (the "E" part of the equation) into matter (the "m" term).

• zagor
    zagor

String theory tells us that time travel is not only possible but probable. However, our limited technology limits us from tapping into it just as limitted knowledge limitted primitive civilizations from tapping into electrical or nuclear energy. You really have to pose and think for a moment what TIME really is, before judging if it is possible or not. Time is nothing but sequence of present moments. So the question is, can we travel from one such moment to another. Well we already do it naturally, what we need to figure out is how to travel those moments at will.

I'd strongly suggest you take time to go here and watch all the videos available ... http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

• Terry
    Terry

How do you take into account when meteorites strike the earth (or even burn up in the atmosphere - adding 'pieces' (or dominoes) to the room?

Or... when we send something into orbit - removing 'pieces' (or dominoes) from the room?

Your example may be too simple... or I am not seeing something obvious.

Regards,

Jim TX

The domino box is our Universe. The dominos are all Matter/Space/Energy/Time.

One of the things I often see happen in these discussions is a blur of definition of exactly what constitutes our Universe. The Universe is all there is. That is why discussions of Supernatural things is like printing counterfeit money and trying to pass it into the "economy" of discourse. It looks real, but; there is no standard backing it other than imagination.

Specifically in answer to your question, Jim; the meteorite is one of the dominoes in the box already. There is no "out there" as opposed to "in here".

• Terry
    Terry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_%28movie%29

Check this out.

You simply MUST watch this movie if this subject is of interest to you.

• Terry
    Terry
    Energy and matter are neither created nor destroyed.

Wrong! The very core of E=mc2 is that matter can be created out of energy and vice versa.

Created? How about "converted"?

An ice cube can be converted to steam or a puddle of water. That is FORM and not substance transition.

Energy and matter are forms.

• zagor
    zagor

Terry, I appreciate your opinion, really, but I think you have to review quite a few things here. I'm sorry for asking a rude question, but did you actually study Physics?? I did.

Time travel is real and it is happening before your very eyes. Every satellite in earth's orbit travels slightly in time, which is precisely the reason why they have to adjust onboard clocks to atomic clock here on earth. That idea is at the very heart of theory of relativity and we know that that theory is solid hard and proven beyond any reasonable doubt. The problem with it is that theory can be sometimes hard to understand, and even many engineers prefer using Newtonian physics to that of relativity, because it is easier to handle. So, I'm not expecting people who haven't even been exposed to it sufficiently to agree with it. It is true there are still areas where special relativity and quantum mechanics do not agree, but string theory is seemingly giving convincing answer, which then opens even more possibilities.

After years of studying the subject I've come to appreciate how little we really know, and that universe (or universes) are far grander than we give it credit for.

You are right energy to matter is conversion, but it is also much, much more than that, especially when talking about conversion form energy to matter.

• restrangled
    restrangled

"String Theory".....I have been "strung" along on this subject since this morning. I see that things have not changed. I swear I was just here... but it was hours ago.

Does that count as time travel?

• free2beme
    free2beme

I always thought a cool sfi fi topic would be, what if we could look back into time and yet not interact with it. Could we for example, go to a certain place and time and view it on a monitor. Perhaps one day see who really shot Kennedy, or how OJ killed Nicole and Ron.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit