A SIMPLE EXPLANATION of why TIME TRAVEL doesn't work

by Terry 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Energy and matter are neither created nor destroyed.

Consequently, the building blocks of existence are actually finite parts.

To create things in "tomorrow" which are new, something has to be dismantled to leave spare parts for the new thing.

The old thing deteriorates, (dies) and the parts become the new thing.

Time travel requires going to a place where all of TODAY'S parts are completely dismanteled and are being used (or not) to maintain Yesterday/Tomorrow.

Ever see the film PRIMER?

Said slightly differently.....

You go into a room. On the table is a box of dominoes. You take the dominoes out of the box and build a little house. The next day you tear down the dominoe house and build a dominoe car. The next day you tear down the dominoe car and build a domino dinosaur..

At no time can the dinosaur exist along with the house or the car. Do you see why?

• Legolas
    Legolas

I seen something that that in a movie...maybe Steven King!

• moshe
    moshe

Just a minute- you can time travel from this universe to a parallel universe and not violate your rule- The matter in the quantum parallel universe has nothing to do with ours. This has already been happening- this is what UFO's are in my opinion. Anyone have a better answer?

• dmouse
    dmouse
    At no time can the dinosaur exist along with the house or the car.

Ok. But what if you can choose which day you go into the room? Say, I want to go into the room when it was a dinosaur? I know that day was last Thursday, so I set my time machine accordingly - nothing is being changed or created, the dinosaur properly existed at that moment in time. Only I move - perhaps 'dismantled' in this time and 'reassembled' in another.

Now my head hurts.

• Terry
    Terry
    Just a minute- you can time travel from this universe to a parallel universe and not violate your rule- The matter in the quantum parallel universe has nothing to do with ours. This has already been happening- this is what UFO's are in my opinion. Anyone have a better answer?

Vodka? Bourbon? Bong?

• Terry
    Terry

Ok. But what if you can choose which day you go into the room? Say, I want to go into the room when it was a dinosaur? I know that day was last Thursday, so I set my time machine accordingly - nothing is being changed or created, the dinosaur properly existed at that moment in time. Only I move - perhaps 'dismantled' in this time and 'reassembled' in another.

Now my head hurts.

Well, you are made out of the dominoes, silly! Everything is made out of the same box of dominoes! There are only a finite number of pieces.

Get it?

Today's YOU is made out of some trillion yesterdays this and that. Either you exist OR......those various things get their parts back. Not both simultaneously. The bookkeeping doesn't work.

• sspo
    sspo

Did you not see BACK TO THE FUTURE MOVIES ;; they made it happen

the past is there, so the future has to be there since we are the past

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

If what you say is true how do you explain the Star Trek transporter? Or, may be you are explaining why the transoprter on Star Trek works...

From Wikipedia:

The transporer converts a person or object into an energy pattern (a process called dematerialization), then "beam" it to a target, where it is reconverted into matter (rematerialization). The term transporter accident is a catch-all term for when a person using a transporter is somehow not rematerialized correctly.

Sounds like the same process that you described.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

My gut feeling is that time travel isn't going to happen.

I don't think you can travel to the future because "the future" hasn't happened yet and there's no way to say how it will play out. On the other hand, I don't think true "free will" exists, and so you probably CAN say how it would play out if you could bring all the variables into your calculations. Even at that, though, I think you'd be predicting (if accurately) something that still hasn't happened, and thus isn't "visitable".

The past is a more probable destination for time travel, but I don't think that's going to happen either. It's already happened, so at least it's static and knowable, it's a "place" if you will. As opposed to the future, which isn't. Like visiting an abandoned warehouse, versus visiting the 12th floor of an office building that hasn't been built yet.

With my *vast* knowledge of quantum whats-its, I'm perhaps not the best person to comment on parallel universes, but I don't think they exist either. Granted, you've got your particles that seem to bump into themselves, suggesting they are actually bumping into their counterparts in other universes, but that seems like a hugely complicated answer to the problem. I think the real answer is waiting to be discovered and will seem much more elegant that the parallel universe idea when we actually figure it out.

What seems most likely to me is eventually working out the impressions of the past that have been left on the universe. Every time we speak, what we say gets quieter and quieter as distance increases, until we can't hear it anymore. But does it really go away? Are those vibrations still detectable 50 years after they began? 1,000 years? More? What of the memories stored in human brains? Are they gone forever when the brain shuts down, or can they be mined from a long-dead corpse?

Those ideas, while still off the edge of believability, are more likely to go somewhere -- in my entirely uneducated opinion -- than time travel or visiting parallel universes.

Dave

• Terry
    Terry
    Let me ask you an honest question. Do you take drugs?

yes.

i guess that you believe this lessens my ability to grow in ways that you (and whatever intellectual culture you belong to) value? if this is the case, let me remind you that "thinking" itself, is a chemical addiction in your own brain, mind, ego, and by extension, body.

The problem with transporting is the annhilation process. The heuristic to process the inventory of your part constituency would be on the order of magnititude beyond compehension. That would be at BOTH ends of the transport process. You can't store that sort of device in the trunk of your car.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit