my cat died today... i need consoling...

by theinfamousone 60 Replies latest jw friends

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

this is the guy that sat on my razor blades the one time i was thinking of cutting myself... this is the guy that everytime my dad beat me, would come to my room and lay with me... this is the guy that one time jumped into the bathtub with me while i was crying after a brutal beating, the cat hated water... this is a cat that was more family to me than my own father and mother combined... this was my best friend...

today i had to do the hardest thing i ever did, i had to choose to have him put down... and as he fought the vet, and tried to bite her, i put my hand on his head, and he stopped struggling... and as they put the last needle into his leg, he purred until he died... the vet says she has never seen that before... this was my best friend and i had to kill him... fuck, im a baby, but i miss him soooo much

the infamous one (knows hes a pussy, but doesnt care too much right now)

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies

My cat died last spring, she got ran over.. It is very sad, but we are not really allowed to grieve the way we feel. ,I am not really making such a comparison (or I am and I feel stupid for doing so) but it feels like you have lost a child. Animals look up to you and you are their life. There is a certain responsibility you feel toward them in a way similar to a child. Granted, in the end it is just a cat, so you can get over it in few days, but it still really hurts and it does suck.

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

the problem is, he was always more like a friend to me... hes been with me for 15 years, i dont think a couple of days would do it.. i dont see him as a child as much as i do a friend, an equal really

--the infamous one

• FreeChick
    FreeChick

(((theinfamousone)))

I'm sooo sorry you had to make this decision today. I have that same bond with my orange kid. I can't imagine how bad you feel right now. Pets provide a type of unconditional love that we need. I'll keep you in my thoughts tonight.

FreeChick

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies

I guarantee you , you will be fine in a week, maybe two. I went thru about a weeklong period where humans just seemed un-improtant to me.Thinking about Humans dying just seemed weak in comparison. It is weird how that stuff happens, but animals really do have an innocence that humans can't give you. I am not sure how I am helping you, but..anyway, you have my condolences.

• lola28
    lola28

Im so sorry about Kitkat, I know he was more than just a cat, he was your friend, and I know this must hurt like a mother.Again, Im sorry about Kitkat I know he was a special kitty.

Lola

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

What a terrible terrible loss. I'm so sorry. What a blessing a friend like that was in your life! I definitely feel for you. Small consolation, but wanted to let you know. Cherish the love cos that will never go away. ~Merry

• Confession
    Confession

Infamous,

I so feel you... I also feel very engaged right now as I formulate this post--and (to be candid) glad for the relative anonymity of this message board. I have a cat named Kimba who is now six and a half years old. I believe I have a closeness with this kitty unlike any that's come before. When I say, "unlike any," I do not mean, "unlike any other cat" since I've never had a cat before. I really do mean, "unlike any other relationship of any kind."

I always thought of myself as a dog person. The decision to get a cat came only after I'd separated from my wife. My daughter, then 13, had always wanted a pet, but her mother had no patience for them and would not allow it. My apartment complex at the time allowed residents to have one cat, so off we went to the pound. There were quite a few baby kitties there. In one cage, I pointed one out, but my daughter liked the whitish one next to it. I was surprised since it was completely passed out and seemed a little listless. But that's the one she picked.

The first two weeks were mind-bogglingly frustrating, as she would cry all night to come into my bedroom. I felt certain that I would win out--but in the end this tiny furball completely broke me. I began to let her sleep with me, and over time we became close friends. Even though I knew separation from my wife (a volatile alcoholic) was the responsible decision, I was a JW, and this produced intense feelings of guilt. I also felt entirely disconnected from everything. Kimba was my companion through this time.

She was also there while I was disfellowshipped--unlike anyone else. When I would struggle emotionally over why I'd been DFd, why Jehovah would really want me to remain married to a maniacally unstable and frequently violent person, and why things just weren't adding up--Kimba was there. She always seemed to sense the unease, sniffing the air near me, trying to discern the problem. She was right there next to my computer--as usual--when I first logged onto JWD, when I cautiously gave myself permission to conduct an objective investigation of the Watchtower Society, and when, on September 15th, 2004, my eyes became opened, finally seeing this organization wasn't what it purported to be.

She has moved with my daughter and me on our fade, from Michigan to California and now to Arizona. She has chosen me as her pet, and aside from those times when she wants to go off for a reclusive snooze, usually wants to be on my lap--or as close to me as possible. It is a closeness I've not had before--and I can definitely understand how you would call your cat "friend," and why you would be so devastated by your friend's loss.

When the time comes for me, I will be wrecked. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Confession

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I feel ya. I had to put my cat down a while ago too.
    ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/104030/1.ashx )

I'm happy you've known such a friend.
    I'm sorry you've had to let him go.
    Sounds like he was a little guardian angel and a real buddy.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I too develop deep relationships with my cats. I've wept over them like a dead child. (and I've had one of them too).
    My fabulous ginger fur-beast with one eye died of cat 'aids' about two years ago, on my bed while I was quite ill. I buried him that morning under the big Gum with my old blue jumper and a photograph of the family. I still miss him waiting in the drive for me after work.
    I was NEVER going to have another cat, but Mr Pogue has come along and he's now completely in charge.
    Cats don't have owners, they have staff.
    Infamousone I think men who love cats often have qualities that endear them to other people. (Dr. Evil excepted)

Take care
    Pete

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit