anyone feeling a wee bit guilty about celebrating Thanksgiving and Xmas??

by Star Moore 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've celebrated many Thanksgivings without killing a single Indian. I've celebrated many birthdays without beheading anyone. I've celebrated many Christmases without forcing anyone to spend a night in a stable. I've eaten many chocolate Easter bunnies, and diarrhea was the only negative consequence. I don't need to feel guilty because of someone elses actions, real or imagined.

W

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

You guys are all so awesome... Had a few good laughs from your comments..

The history channel can go blow.. something!!

Whatever... Definately not going to worry if something bad happened on Thanksgiving or if a Pharoah cut someone's head off at a birthday.. or if Herod cut of John the baptist's head..

Or if some people celebrated the sun God, Mirtha..(or is that the awesome ex- marine in the congress?) Anyways, I feel better and cared about..

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Not I, says me. Bring the holidays on......

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Nope, I sure don't feel guilty about it. But for the most part I never really did. I grew up with Holidays and so I never really understood why JWs hated them so much since they never were that bad for me.

I tend to look at it like this. These holidays and traditions are part of the culture you live in. It's a personal choice to celebrate or not to celebrate. I see absolutley no reason why even if you do think the Bible states that these holidays are wrong, why your own views have to be demanded upon others. Seems like a case of 'the weakest one gets his way'.

Drew, of the "If holidays where good enough for CT Russell, they are good enough for me" class

• free2beme
    free2beme

Not in the least. I celebrate freedom, with each holiday.

• jam
    jam

I would shop after xmas, wrap the gifts for my kids . I felt sorry for them. So they receive toys. But the wife a different story. I guess it was silly, but the kids now grown remerber those happy times. When Kwanzaa gain popularity the gifts for kids came later.

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

Last year was our first year celebrating holidays. My 6 year old of course accepted it with arms wide open. My wife suprised me also. Myself, i enjoyed it ok, but i had a few moments of guilt. This year things are great. Ive been looking forward to Christmas for 2 months now. Sure, its pagan origin. That has nothing to do with what it is 2 thousand years later. If Charles Taze Russel believed in pyramidology, does that make the watchtower of today Pagan? The pagans ate, slept, and drank just like we do, are those things wrong also? Its all so trivial now. I just laugh at how we used to be so overboard and ignorant.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

No guilt, but I grew up with holidays.

I can say that it's all about enjoying the time spent with each other.

What the dubs attempt to make look bad is "worldy" people spending that time with their families. That's it. It's not wrong to spend time with your family.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

This has been soooo theraputic for me, listening to all the great comments. You have no idea..! I was a witness through my 3 children's whole childhood. As I result, they have lost out on the family strength (like aunts, uncles, grandparents ).. and they got into drugs.. They are just now starting to come out of it..as they are in their late 20's and early 30's. I wouldn't go to any birthday, or holiday..and was afraid to visit much anyways, as they were chain smokers and 'worldly'. And these really great children, across the street, (who turned out to be angels), I would say, they were worldly. I would try to stop them from playing with them. Instead I had them play with the witness kids, who all went wild.. Real smart. So, being a witness has had ramifications so big in my life.. it's not funny. Seems so weird after 26 years that things are healing a little.. WHAT A CULT!!!!!!

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Great post star moore.

I do not feel giuilty about spending time and enjoying the holiday season. I do not celebrate the religiuos aspect of the holidays. I do not participate in paganism and I do not advocate it either. I had a great meal today with my family. We ate gobbler with stuffing sweet potatos cranberries cider apple pie pumpkin pie and other goodies but I do not clebrate thanksgiving. I look foward to christmas and new year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit