anyone feeling a wee bit guilty about celebrating Thanksgiving and Xmas??

by Star Moore 67 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Lets eat a Turkey and go slaughter some indians!!..Thats just terrible!..LOL!!..Do you really think thats what ThanksGiving is about?..I have "First Nations" friends and family..None of us would have anything to do with that..Now Google ThanksGiving and have a nice Turkey Dinner...OUTLAW

• bebu
    bebu

I think the only bloody history of Thanksgiving had to do with their shooting some turkeys.

bebu

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

I saw the bloody killing of Indians on the History channel. As a witness, I was taught to investigate and find the worst possible thing that happened on that day..and then refuse to celebrate it because it is a holiday of Satan. Ok, I was a serious, witness..

So far, my friends here have gotten over the guilt.. me too, I hope.. so far anyways..

• willyloman
    willyloman
    " this meal is a meal in dedication to the slaughter of the Indians."

The History Channel had a documentary a few nights back about the origin of Thanksgiving. The pilgrims landed in Massachusetts in the winter and managed to survive it, although many died from pneumonia. Those who survived until spring started planting and hunting and at the end of autumn decided to celebrate a good harvest, and their own good fortune for making it through a difficult year thousands of miles from home in a strange land. They put on a feast.

As they were sitting down to eat, the Indians who were their neighbors, and with whom they had developed some trade and had a peaceful if not uneasy relationship, showed up. The documentary said it is still unclear whether they were invited or just dropped in, but they were invited to stay and eat. It was a fascinating account of the whole story. The harvest dinner had nothing to do with slaughtering Indians, or anyone else.

We started celebrating it a few years ago on Thansgiving day (instead of on Friday, which is what we did when we were dubs). Instead of a prayer, we ask everyone at the table to tell us what they are most thankful for. The first year, we were universally thankful for our new-found religious freedom from the narrow-minded judgmentalism of dubdom. No one felt the least bit guilty. If anything, we have often felt regret for all the wonderful traditions we missed out on.

• daystar
    daystar

Star moore expunged

I saw the bloody killing of Indians on the History channel.

willyloman elaborated

The History Channel had a documentary a few nights back about the origin of Thanksgiving. The pilgrims landed in Massachusetts in the winter and managed to survive it, although many died from pneumonia. Those who survived until spring started planting and hunting and at the end of autumn decided to celebrate a good harvest, and their own good fortune for making it through a difficult year thousands of miles from home in a strange land. They put on a feast.

As they were sitting down to eat, the Indians who were their neighbors, and with whom they had developed some trade and had a peaceful if not uneasy relationship, showed up. The documentary said it is still unclear whether they were invited or just dropped in, but they were invited to stay and eat. It was a fascinating account of the whole story. The harvest dinner had nothing to do with slaughtering Indians, or anyone else.

I guess Star kept switching back and forth between the History Channel show and some shoot-em-up and just got confused.

• mzliz
    mzliz

hi, not at all. I love talking to my friends about JWS beliefs and they ALL laugh about the holidays because everyone knows that Jesus wasnt born on dec 25th, its really that know one cares.

Its all about tradition and friends and family for the holidays. I liked how someone here said that witnesses are all about taking the joy out of everything, They overanalyze EVERYTHING. Its amazing that the only thing they celebrate is anniversarys........procreation!!!!!

• mzliz
    mzliz

Also, about 4 years ago I celebrated thanksgiving with 2 elders with wives and children. I didnt ask and they didnt spill, can you not get in trouble for it as a JW?

• new boy
    new boy

I have to say it was very strange at the time....................... after 52 years to do Christmas!

It was Dec. 2001 and a friend of mine had a christmas tree lot.............So he said he would give me my FRIST tree.

I went to get my free tree..........................After about an hour I found my virgin tree...........and tolded the attendant that the owner was giving the tree to me at no cost.

He said "Oh Ya................He told me about you!...... Your the guy doing his frist Xmas!".........."Has does that feel?"

"Well"............... I said........ "Its like a Jewish man eating his first pork sandwich.....It taste GOOD but feels WEIRD"!

"God bless us one and ALL".........Tiny Tim

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ok, well, Star you made the comment that Thanksgiving has a bloody history, I know I've read in the past that while the Indians and the settlers had a fairly good working relationship that led up to Thanksgiving, it didn't last very long.

So, I assumed that when you said that Thanksgiving has a bloody history you were referring to the basic relationship of the Anglos and the Natives that followed.

Anyhow, I found a site that has some pretty good condensed info that I thought would be interesting and would help us to get an idea of the relationship between the Natives and the English both before and after the big Turkey day.

http://www.ewebtribe.com/NACulture/articles/thanksgiving.html

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Ok, I was a serious, witness..

I think most of us were.

When I found out that some in "the truth" actually ate turkey on Thanksgiving I was agast..............I was shocked.

I had "quit touching" all the unclean things of the world and then...................J.W.'s eating turkey on Thanksgiving?

Of course the explanation was, it is not wrong to eat as long as you are not celebrating "the holiday". But how does it LOOK to "worldly people"? IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE CELEBRATING THE HOLIDAY...............PERIOD.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit