anyone feeling a wee bit guilty about celebrating Thanksgiving and Xmas??

by Star Moore 67 Replies latest jw friends

• misguided
    misguided

This is our 3rd year celebrating Christmas.

This is the first year I can honestly say it's guilt-free.

Rose

• Backed away
    Backed away

Hey Josie,

Josie ~ I gotta find my Charlie Brown Christmas CD

Thanks for reminding me, I have to find my Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas CD!

John

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Nope not at all. Got my turkey and we're making a couple of pies today.

I have to say, I think that there is a lot more to the Thanksgiving story then what we're generally told or is talked about in regards to the Native American tribes that were here first.

Still, Turkey Day is a great day to sit back and be thankful.

I'm thankful for You for starters and for the great people I've met here and since my departure.

I'm very, very thankful for my kids and husband and in laws who have made this last year so worth it.

As for Christmas. I think Yule will be on my calender instead. Now that's really me worthy of getting whacked at the BigA!!!

Still, my husband wants a bit of traditional Christmas for the kids, so, yep we're doing it and nope I don't feel a wee bit guilty.

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

You pagan worshippers! How could you get involved in a holiday that brings together family, good food, and a reflection of what your thankful for. Sounds like the spirit of the Antichrist to me.

Just joking, never felt guilty about Thanksgiving.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The only thing I feel guilty about is having been a stupid f*cked up JW for 20 years.

W

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Star:

Don't feel guilty and don't concern yourself. When I was active years ago there were too many holidays when I was sitting home alone. Is God only pleased if I am looking at four walls by myself??? I wondered where all the other JWs were. They seem to have disappeared and they weren't all out in service either.

I then started to accept invitations from family members, neighbors or non-JW friends and it felt good instead of the feeling like I was out in the cold, isolated from humanity. Boy, what a chump I was!

LHG

• Woofer
    Woofer

Won't feel guilty one bit. In fact, I am excited about putting my tree up on Friday.

I just got my name for my secret santa and CANNOT WAIT to go out shopping for this person. How fun!!!

• daystar
    daystar

My son and I will be shopping for decorations, tree, etc. this weekend. This will be the first Xmas at home for us (we spent the last couple with my sister and her family) since his mom and I separated, and the first time he is old enough to help pick out the decorations.

We're so excited! Our very first tree just for us...

alt

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I grew up in a hardcore jw family and we always had turkey in Thanksgiving.

Even as an adult I we use to invite other jws for turkey on Thanksgiving day.

I always used the line "turkeys don't celebrate thanksgiving - people do."

• I quit!
    I quit!

So, since Thanksgiving has a bloody history

What? Who have you been listening to? I guess from the turkey's point of view this might be the case but for most people it is all about friends and family getting together and being thankful for what we have.

As for feeling guilty over celebrating the holidays, no. I was so happy get out and start acting normal there was no guilt. If anything I felt guilty for being such a self-righteous idiot all the years I was in the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit