I got a drive-by shepherding call today

by willyloman 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Kingdom Melodies suck, give me your phone number and I will leave you some ZZ Top instead.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

We get a few emails from dubs, usually complaining about our website, but we've never had a musical one.

drive by shepherding call??..Do they drive by in a car,lean out the window and smack you in the head with a Watchtower?..

lol Outlaw

• rebel8
    rebel8

Call back and play "Hotel California"!

• carla
    carla

Hotel Califorinia! ha, Yes, do it!

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

"Call back and play "Hotel California"!"

and play it backwards

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Well, that's kinda creepy. It does however remind me of a crank call I once did. I called someone's answering machine, and played a clip of ELO's "Telephone Line". Then, I called back, and played more from where I left off. Then, I called a third time to play some more, starting with the "Doo wop, Do be do do wop, Do wop do ahhh ahhh!"

But, there's nothing like getting Watchtower Muzak in you voicemail. I would have laughed my ass off if I got that!

• Mary
    Mary
    I got an email today from a dub. There was no message. It was 53 seconds of music. The tune was familiar. Before the 53 seconds were up, I recognized it as a Kingdom Hall song. It was all instrumental, no words, and I cannot remember the title. But I know the melody.

OK, noone's saying the obvious: If they send that tune out to 60 people and it plays for a minute each, that's one hour they can count as "time" on their field service report. If they send it out to 120 people, that's 2 hours a day, which means you now qualify as a pioneer.

Geeeesh...how quickly everyone forgets.

• SB
    SB

it sounds like someone just needed a few more minutes of field service time to make their monthly goal! you were probably also counted as an RV. If it happens three times in a row, you are a bible study. :)

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i did a sheperding call in a car once....i had newly been assigned to a different cong and i was doing a service overseers visit to the group of the po and i would arrange to do some sheperding during the 'visit'...so he arranged for me to accompany him on the saturday morning after service to a sis with unbelieving husb...so 'during' service he invites her and himself into my car and then tells me to conduct the sheperding call...(i thought he was going to take it and i would chip in)..and i thought it would be in her house after service..

it really is quite difficult to come across as personally interested in someone when you are talking to them in the rear view mirror...

when i asked him about it he said the husband was not happy about witnesses calling at his house..

i never had any problem with the husband..and further investigation revealed that the husband had in fact been a witness and had taken offense at the way his boys had been treated by the elders in the cong...initially you think how stupid to get offended that way but subsequently i saw how the elders treated people and then i was a recipient myself so now i have total understanding..

but even if that was true ...then you arrange for the call to be in your own home..or have a sheperding call in the home of someone else in a similar situation..make it an enjoyable experience for them...

widows, orphans - anyone!!

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Call back and play "Hotel California"!

I would, but they left no number; the message was from "an unidentified caller" according to the email.

So, some of you are suggesting this was a "random" hit, then? I hadn't thought of that. My guess was it was someone too gutless to call me up and tell me they miss me and were wondering why the hell two "pillars" of the congregation would walk away after 30 years and never look back? I'd love to have that conversation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit