Is Jehovah evil? Overheard at the public talk.

by Zico 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freetosee
    freetosee
    Is this an official teaching?

Yes, also the Insight Book on page 772 under the heading EVIL gives the same explanation quoting Isaiah...

122.gif

• rebel8
    rebel8
    in the Hebrew scriptures, evil is not always 'synonymous with badness' So Jehovah is evil, but not bad

Now you should go through the litterature and pick out things they claim to be not allowed by using the word evil not bad, and give a talk saying those things are all allowed. For example, I think Halloween was called evil, but I don't remember the word bad being used.

If they are going to keep up the word games, they they should be able to see it through to its logical conclusion.

No, the talks are "outlined" not "scripted." There is quite a bit of leeway allowed in the delivery.

My understanding is that some talks are scripted and some are outlined.

• daystar
    daystar

"As it is in heaven, so shall it be upon the earth" or "as above, so below"...

As Jehovah is an anthropomorphism, and a monotheistic god, he necessarily represents all the possibilities, good/evil, light/dark, that exist within us. And here is the conundrum, that Satan must exist in order for God to be good. So the Witnesses really are a polytheistic religion, as are most Christian sects.

In any case, it would have been interesting to have this gentleman's talk on tape to, you know, pass around.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Wasn't there a scripture that went something like, "woe to the one saying good is evil and evil is good."

Isaiah 5:20.

Ditto Daystar.

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

This is why I think public talks do not always convey the message that the wts wants too. When someone gets assigned a public talk all you get is an outline of the subject, its not scripted at all. I gave many public talks and I remember trying to fill up the time slots with as much information that I could find from other sources. There's no way for the wts to police this unless an elder from the hall actually sits down with the same outline and follows it line by line. Even then its up to personal interpretation, I can say that I felt the material in the outline needed me to cover it this way, while another elder would actually do it a completely different way.

Its funny but looking back I would spew so much stuff on public talks that wasn't even on the original outline. Not once did I get counseled about that. All I ever got was, 'what a great talk, where did you get your information?'. Most of the times when someone is giving a public talk that person will tailor it to what he beileves and he is comfortable talking about, not what the wts wants. There's so much leeway that I'm surprised its not caught more often.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

How do you justify or defend a god who plans to kill billions of people..who don't even know the truth as to the definitions of the words He used in the Bible?

We don't have a clue as to what "evil" is...righteousness is..hell we don't even know what "fire" is!

Go ask everyone what "evil" is..see how many different answers you get. Ask your self who knows God's definition of "evil" out of all of them.

I think we are all "evil"..but it is still just my guess..and i also don't think we are "evil" by choice...just don't know anything better yet.

Again....just my guess.

• Will Power
    Will Power

guess they use the same logic to call Jesus the Abaddon, and in Greek he is Apollyon, the angel of the abyss - as on page 11 of Aid to Bible Understanding (1971) - the big blue other bible - oH wait a minute that was written by an Ex witness - can anyone confirm the page Jesus is named the Abaddon in the Insight book? nothing they ever say or do surprises me anymore.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    I heard a talk with that as its theme quite a few years ago - that "evil" is technically anything unpleasant and/or destructive, but that doesn't necessarily make it "wrong" or "bad" - and that Jehovah is the author of evil.

I would say that, yes, Jehovah is evil based on the definition of evil from Dictionary.com. But as far as not being "wrong" or "bad," I beg to differ.

e?vil / 'ialtv?l / [ ee-vuhaltl ]

–adjective
    1.morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.
    2.harmful; injurious: evil laws.
    3.characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days.
    4.due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation.
    5.marked by anger, irritability, irascibility, etc.: He is known for his evil disposition.
    –noun
    6.that which is evil; evil quality, intention, or conduct: to choose the lesser of two evils.
    7.the force in nature that governs and gives rise to wickedness and sin.
    8.the wicked or immoral part of someone or something: The evil in his nature has destroyed the good.
    9.harm; mischief; misfortune: to wish one evil.
    10.anything causing injury or harm: Tobacco is considered by some to be an evil.
    11.a harmful aspect, effect, or consequence: the evils of alcohol.
    12.a disease, as king's evil.
    –adverb
    13.in an evil manner; badly; ill: It went evil with him.
    —Idiom
    14.the evil one, the devil; Satan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit