Is Jehovah evil? Overheard at the public talk.

by Zico 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Zico
    Zico

I heard a new teaching from the Public talk today that I'd never heard before.

The speaker asked a rhetorical question, asking if Jehovah would be evil for killing 6 billion people during Armageddon? (Yes, he actually said, killing 6 billion people) He then followed it up by saying 'Yes! That would be evil!' This certainly caught my attention, I thought he might be giving a bit of an 'apostate' view here, but then he followed it up with a bizarre explanation.

He showed some scriptures where Jehovah killed people in the OT, and then stated, though, that in the Hebrew scriptures, evil is not always 'synonymous with badness' So Jehovah is evil, but not bad, and he said that eny evil he performed, was 'a necessary evil' and also 'a cleansing'

I have heard some ridiculous things from that platform, but this has to rank as one of the worst. I spoke to another Witness after who tried to defend him, but shortly after admitted it was a ridiculous argument. I'm still not even sure what point the speaker was trying to make.

Is this an official teaching?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

all the talks are so scripted now so it must be coming from headquarters. if not that bro is in trouble for not stickin to the script!

• watson
    watson

Oh Man! I wish I could have been there for that...

I hit the meetings once in a while just to catch stuff like that. Very entertaining.

Me thinks this speaker has been secretly visiting this site, eh?

Watson

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

It sounds like WT spin, simple as that. It probably means there is an argument of higher critisism that states that Jehovah IS evil because the bible says so etc. This just counteracts that and sweeps it all convieniently under the carpet.

• moshe
    moshe

Well, he warned everyone that an evil Jehovah could do anything- it just depends on how "clean" he wants it to be after Armageddon.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I'll bet that section of the talk woke the congregation up!

I've heard people say that all the killing in the OT was necessary, but never heard it called a necessary evil before.

• Highlander
    Highlander

If that is a sanctioned 'talk' from the wt, then I couldn't be happier. I for one think that an offensive 'talk' like that has the potential to actually jump start a few dead j-dub brain cells.

And we know how dangerous to the wt that can be!

• Zico
    Zico

It's almost as good as those seven trumpets...

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

looking back i always used to take what was said with a pinch on salt if it sounded really strange.... i rememebr a talk once where the elder said that all music with a beat behind it was demonic!

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I am quite sure that there was a gaggle of elders waiting for him in the back when he got off stage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit