Where do JW's take their breaks today?

by moshe 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    parakeet: i don't think Moshe was planning a bible study with this kid or picking him up at his house and take him to an apostatefest. just talked to him , in passing and planted a few seeds. i bet this kids goes door knocking. so he got a lesson as if he was working a door. no harm. john

I'm with the other's that posted in favor of what Moshe did for the following reasons.

• jw are told to be alert for moments to "witness." Shouldn't that be a two-way street?
    • Moshe didn't lie.
    • In today's technological world, I doubt this is the first time he's made a connection between "jehovah's witlesses" and the internet.

So once again, I have to say:

Go MOSHE!!!

• Juniper123
    Juniper123

It's funny I hardly ever see JW's in service or run into the ones from my old cong, and this is quite a small town. McDonald's of course is where we would stop and at gas stations for a soda and candy.

• blondie
    blondie

It is getting harder and harder for JWs to find a decent place to break. Some JWs don't want to linger (the minority) and catch a cup of coffee at the local convenience store, especially those with cups with free refills. They grab a donut and eat in the car.

Some prefer leisure and eat at Tim Horton's or McDonalds, or similar fast-food place. Some hunt down those with gourmet coffee and an abundance of side foods.

In some areas, 3 congregations go to one place. It gets crowded between 10:30 and 11. Regionally here donut shops are few and far between, on the east coast of the US there is a donut shop on every corner.

Whenever I moved into a new territory, the first thing I was aware of was 1) where to take coffee break, 2) where to take a potty break.

Blondie

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

I'm not sure why some people had a problem with talking to the 10 year old....after all what was that 10 year old doing before and after his ice cream....knocking on doors like his parents told him to and trying to force feed the JW line to anyone that will listen.

Screw what his parents think...they are using their kid to possibly get people to keep their door open just a little longer so they can unload some of the state copies of the magazines because people feel sorry for the kids or think they're cute or whatever.

I have no sympathy for what JW parents want and support any harmless, non agressive opportunity to sow the seed of discontent among the jw young.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

When parents take their kids to the kingdom hall regularly and tell them that they are going to face challenges and persecutions, and THEN take them out in FS, those kids are getting a lot more information than Moshe offered up. Those kids are trained from birth to take every advantage to witness to people and let them know who they are. You know they hear a lot more at the doors than Moshe could have said in a two sentence conversation. And those kids probably have also been exposed to verbal abuse and foul language at the door, naked people, vile health conditions and creeps in general. Moshe was probably the nicest person he met all day.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

As far as legal implications parents have a right to choose the child's religion, but I don't believe there are any restrictions on mentioning religious subjects to a minor. Furthermore you were not actively trying to convert or de-convert him. The younger he starts to have doubts the more time he will have to do his own thinking, his own research and not cut off his options as far as life and school or getting dunked. I say thumbs up.

• rebel8
    rebel8

IMO what Moshe said to the child was much milder than the stuff he learns any day at school.

I agree with serious restraint when interacting with jw children though.

• jstalin
    jstalin
    Just a word of caution here -- Are there any legal or ethical repercussions from speaking to underage children about subjects their parents would disapprove? While I would not hesitate to talk to anyone over 18 about this subject, I would be very reluctant to talk to a 10-year-old. At that age, even if you could convince them of your point of view, what can a small child do about it? You'd be accomplishing little but creating confusion and conflict in someone who doesn't know how to handle it yet.

Very often posters here complain bitterly about times when an JW divorced spouse and in-laws attempt to force their child into rejecting the exJW parent, and we all roundly condemn it. I think the same principle applies here as well. When it comes to small children, my advice would be to talk to the parents, not the child.

I don't think that encouraging children to use their critical thinking skills is illegal nor unethical.

• lesterd
    lesterd

They are JUST counting time!!!

• Woofer
    Woofer

I was having lunch with my daughter at Wendy's on Saturday and two people walked in that were dressed up. They had that JW "look" to them. I noticed that they didn't have any kids but they drove a mini-van. I know a lot of people in my hall that were childless but drove a mini-van for field service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit