Where do JW's take their breaks today?

by moshe 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jobees
    Jobees

I agree with parakeet. Though, I know it would make me feel better to plant a few seeds of doubt, I would much rather do this with an adult. That 10 year old has years of living with his JW parents and what can he do now if he did have doubts? Nothing.

If someone approached my 10 year old and said something to them about how great the Witnesses are and would he like a pamphlet, I'd want to hunt them down and beat them. It goes both ways.

Those comments are better said to adults.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Each group has its favorite spot. Some place in the territ. You can only count time if you talk to someone, so the young man that spoke with you Moshe can honestly count all the time he spent in the rest.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Right here! LOL.....

• garybuss
    garybuss

In these parts the Witnesses have been seen all suited up in the ice cream and canned soup parlor in the old mall. They also are often seen in the deli seating area of the local super market. They're easy to spot because they're the only eclectic group there wearing 20 year old IBM business attire on Saturday morning.

They have one thrift shop family who has children dressed for service. The 12 year old girl is tall and skinny and they dress her in thrift shop prom dresses. I'd never confront these children. I already feel so sorry for them, I wouldn't want to add one second more of discomfort to their day.

I wouldn't confront this mother either. She's an obese woman who's managed to dress for service in the worst possible taste. The adolescent boy is a couple month's growth ahead of his JC Penny's suit and the pants are way too short, like at the top of his socks. The mother's obviously an idiot. I can't see how my day's gonna be better by adding anything negative to her load.

I pity them all. I don't respect what they're doing, but my disrespect for what they're doing comes back to me as grief when I see them.

When I see elders strutting their stuff, it's a whole different ball game. :-)

• aniron
    aniron

It have always found it amusing reading about how JW's in USA have these "breaks" while on service. Stopping off at MacDonalds, Starbucks or for a doughnut.

Here in Britain with congregations I was involved and as far as I know most others. If I had suggested having a "break" while on service and go for a coffee, I would have received some odd looks. Never in my 20+ years did anyone ever suggest such a thing, even when pioneering. Maybe after field service, but never during. The attitude seemed to be "Hey! I'm doing my hour (Two if pioneering) I don't want to be out any longer than necessary." Even on Saturday mornings.

• moshe
    moshe

I was surprised that some thought it wrong to tell a 10 year old kid that " My kids used to go to the KH, but they quit and went to college, etc." He probably did tell his parents about what I said.- AND they did nothing. I have yet to meet a JW who defended their beliefs. They know they can't and just avoid talking to the informed person. If I saw a group of JW's at a coffee shop, I would use the tract as a conversation opener- shoot, and if they didn't object I would sit down with them,too. Might be a short break for some of them.

• zagor
    zagor
    I was curious as to where JW's take their breaks today and what times they stop for one.

That would be when they are in door-to-door serivce and someone invites them for coffee. Though this morning they refused my hospitality for some reason ...

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

I don't think there was anything wrong with what you said to that child. It was just a random event that you saw this child and you made some casual conversation with him. You didn't follow him out the door or anything like that. Even though he might have only been about 10 years old, you never know what's in his mind. He could be one of those kids who can't wait until he's 18 years old so that he can make a run for it out of the organization. Maybe he can't do anything about it now, and maybe he will never be baptized. Maybe he does want to go to college. All you did was plant some seeds to let him know that there is life after the Watchtower---after all your own kids turned out well.

• freedom96
    freedom96

When I was growing up, my book study groups never took breaks....I only wish they did. Other groups did, and I was always jealous of them.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I was at a buffet restaurant on Saturday for lunch and noticed a boy around 10 years old at the ice cream sundae bar- he had a suit on- !! I casually asked him if he was a Jehovah's Witness. 'Yes" he answered. I mentioned that my kids used to go to the KH , but they found out that the WT Society was not God's organization. I told him they went on to college and school and have careers now. I encouraged him to check on the Internet about the WT Society. He didn't seem upset that I talked to him.

I was curious as to where JW's take their breaks today and what times they stop for one. I am on paid leave from work and would like to look for more opportunities to talk to them.

Go Moshe!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit