Is there a bird watcher in the house?

by unclebruce 51 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

g'day,

this evening I went for a walk near the mouth of the Bega river, several kilometres from my place. I enjoyed the peace and took a few photos.

For several years the Pelicans here were my concern (keeping an eye on them and occationally capturing them to remove fish hooks and the like. While there a duck billed mud stinky arrived. I'm without my Field Guides and have no idea what the feathered beast is called. Maybe someone here can help.

Mogareeka:

One of three old man Pelicans that hang together here:

A Spoonbilled Flapper Duck?:

A White Arsed Bugsucker?:

A Pissed Orf Agro Turn?:

I got a tad close .. the beasty got annoyed and in three seconds it'd spread its wings and was feasting 100 yards away..

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Hiya uncs!

What we have here is the Platalea regia also known as the Royal Spoonbill. Gorgeous bird - you lucky man! http://birdsinbackyards.net/finder/display.cfm?id=192

The Royal Spoonbill is a large white waterbird with black, spatulate (spoon-shaped) bill, facial skin, legs and feet. During the breeding season, it has a distinctive nuchal (back of head or nape of neck) crest, which can be up to 20 cm long in male birds (usually shorter in females). The crest can be erected during mating displays to reveal bright pink skin underneath. Breeding adults also have a creamy-yellow wash across the lower neck and upper breast and a strip of bright pink skin along the edge of the underwings which is obvious when the bird opens its wings. The facial skin is black with a yellow patch above the eye and a red patch in the middle of the forehead, in front of the crest feathers. Females are slightly smaller with shorter legs and bill. Out of breeding season, the nuchal crests are reduced, the underwing is not bright pink and the plumage is less brilliant, often appearing 'dirty'. Young birds are similar to non-breeding adults without a crest or coloured face patches, and are slightly smaler with a shorter, smoother bill. The Royal Spoonbill is most often seen wading in shallow waters, sweeping its submerged bill back and forth in a wide arc to find food.

Keep twitching and posting the pics.

Yours truly

fellow hornithologist

xxx

• penny2
    penny2

Wow, they are beautiful pictures. No wonder you love it there. A bit different to the suburban streets of South Oz!!

penny2

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Thankyou crumpet,

A Royal spoonbill wow, my serious twitcher friends will be pleased

I love taking photos .. and some of them actually turn out non blury. Wildlife photography is sooo hard, especially birds (the buggas won't stay still

These guys have unusual eyes:

Three Old Boy Pelicans:

These King Parrots are amazing. They're fearless and just love people (particularly the bright red males):

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

g'day penny,

yep, suburban Adelaide is a tad bereft of wildlife other than magpies and blue tongue lizards (unlike Sydney which is one big wildlife park). Life can be tough but seeing so much beauty every day makes a difference.

Speaking of beauty, whadya think of my bush basha - the old Numbugga fire truck:

• penny2
    penny2

That looks like a sturdy vehicle - to go with the surroundings!!

• Dansk
    Dansk
    whadya think of my bush basha - the old Numbugga fire truck

Well, the name's certainly appropriate!

Ian

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

beautiful pics

thanks for sharing.

purps

• jgnat
    jgnat

Crumpet beat me to it. You tryin' to make me jealous or something? We've just entered our BIG FREEZE. It will be the indomnitable chickadees, the ubiquitous house sparrows and the predatory jays until spring for me.

• Clam
    Clam

G'day Uncle Bruce. Great pictures. I guessed it was a spoonbill but not a Royal Spoonbill. Amazing creature. I've missed out on some good pictures recently. The best was this Summer. walking into a disused barn and seeing a mother barn owl and her two chicks looking down at me. What sort of camera/lens are you using?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit