Is there a bird watcher in the house?

by unclebruce 51 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Glad you enjoyed the photos folks, I'm wrapped with a couple of photos of the Royal spoonbill. The endangered birds being protected alog the shoreline here are the Hooded Plover and the Little Turn (cruely called by some the "little turd" - they're not easy to hand raise).

Little Turn:

alt

Hooded Plover :

A different Hooded Plover or another mystery bird? Heeelp Crumpet!

Hey Ian,

- some of the locations around here have funny names - to get to my place from the beach you go up Goats Knob Road

• Clam
    Clam

LOL @ Goats Knob Road. An ideal place to build a Kingdom Hall I'd say.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Hi Clam,

We're well into spring time here and things are jumping. One of the big prizes will be photographing the lyrebirds (I had a great oportunity to take rare photos of a lyrebird chick two years ago but my camera was broke

I'm just using a little Nikon pocket camera .. the 10x zoom is great. A poor boy can only dream of a digital SLR

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Crumpet beat me to it. You tryin' to make me jealous or something? We've just entered our BIG FREEZE. It will be the indomnitable chickadees, the ubiquitous house sparrows and the predatory jays until spring for me.

Well take photos of those silly! Lee who wants to see a chickadee

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    LOL @ Goats Knob Road. An ideal place to build a Kingdom Hall I'd say.

There actually was a Kingdom Hall in Bald Knob, Arkansas. The Bald Knob Congregation.

purps

• Clam
    Clam

Nice camera though UB. I still mainly use a Nikon 35mm for serious photography, but I'm always promising myself a Pentax 6X7.

I got a good picture last time I was in WA of a kookaburra eating a lizard. I'll have to look it out.

On the subject of rude names, I only found out last night when my daughter was doing homework that Aussies call whirlwinds Willy Willies, although there's a moorland point not far from me called Brown Willy.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    A different Hooded Plover or another mystery bird? Heeelp Crumpet!

That looks a lot like an Oystercatcher - but what the hell is it doing over there is what I want to know? I thought they mainly preferred the frsh cool sea waters of the UK. Love the racy stockings they wear!

Jgnat - I just got lucky with my search on google - I didnt know off the top of my head which spoonbill it was going to be.

Love these pics brucey! is that Numbugga firetruck for real?

All these photos make me think you lead a charmed existence and to want to come and do the twitch in Oz!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

LOL at purp's Bald Knob Congregation (not quite as bad as Elder Jack Heading naming his son Richard

:::

Thanks for the recomendation Clam. SLR Digital prices are dropping dramatically, I'll check the Pentax out (I loved old Pentax Me to death).

cheers, unc

ps: there's nothing funny about a willy willy .. or a willy wag tail even

Free Hugs

• shera
    shera

Nice pics,I love birds.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Crumpet, I had no idea which spoonbill it was either. I woulda done what you did, if you hadn'ta beat me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit