Is there a bird watcher in the house?

by unclebruce 51 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Ah yes crumpet thankyou - the pied oyster catcher is actually the other endangered bird (not the hooded plover

this area is oyster heaven but I don't eat 'em

• juni
    juni

Beautiful pictures Lee!! Thanks for posting those.

Here in Wisconsin they have a program to bring back the Whooping Crane. To teach them to migrate they use ultra light air planes. They use 3 to show them the migration pattern south. I will do a little picture hunting and see what I can find.

Otherwise, we have the snowbirds (juncos), cardinals, nuthatches, English sparrows, house finches, woodpeckers, flickers, Virginia reel, blue jays, mourning doves, plovers, king fishers, gold finches, orioles, blue birds, sandhill cranes, loons, robins, humming birds and a lot of others I'm forgetting and bald eagles and various birds of prey, the cleanup crew birds - vultures, crows.

Juni (who loves birds of all different kinds and used to rehabilitate them)

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings unclebruce,

Excellent pics. Thanks for sharing. We love birds here too. Mostly Chikadees, Blue Jays, Rock Doves a.k.a Pidgeons, (shoulda been called Piguns, they eat all the feed they can get their grubby beaks on) Cardinals, and Gold Finches up here in the cold north.

Ever run into Mick Dundee or Donk?

Dismembered

• juni
    juni

I hope this copies all right. Otherwise you can Google "Whooping cranes in Wisconsin" and get more complete info about other states and Canada working together to secure this once almost extinct large bird.

Whooping CraneWhooping Crane
    Today's NewsFall's Journey SouthReport Your SightingsHow to Use Journey NorthSearch Journey North
    Bringing Back the Cranes

In 2001, the only migratory whooping cranes in the world were all in one flock. The birds migrated between Texas and Canada. But what if something happened to that flock? It could wipe out this endangered species. Experts began a daring plan. They would start a new flock of whooping cranes in eastern North America. No cranes had lived there for more than a century. Today, a tiny flock of wild whoopers is back in the East, and slowly growing bigger. How are scientists bringing back the cranes?Take a look (all photos courtesy WCEP):

Goal: The reintroduction project will be a 10- to 15-year effort. The goal is a flock of 125 birds in Wisconsin by 2020, including 25 nesting pairs.
    For more, see About This Study

crane02WCEP_009

crane02WCEP_019crane_Sp04_066

Special whooping crane chicks hatch in spring. The eggs are in a captive breeding center in Maryland.

At the center, the chicks imprint on their own species: adult whooping cranes. Soon they are taken to Wisconsin for "flight school."

The chicks learn to follow a tiny yellow airplane. The plane is a stand-in for real whooper parents. They follow the planeas they learn to fly faster, higher, longer.

altalt
    When they are about 5 or 6 months old, the chicks will follow the tiny ultralight planes on their first migration.The plane will lead them on a long, risky journey. It's about 1,200 miles to the cranes' winter home in Florida. In spring the young cranes will return to Wisconsin without any help. They'll do this for the rest of their lives, joining other members of the growing new Eastern flock!

Journey North is pleased to feature this educational adventure made possible by the Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership (WCEP).

Copyright 2004-06 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.
    Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to
    our feedback form

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

g'day juni,

that's amazing using ultra-lights to teach migration.

A common Galah .. agro nutcracking varmets bite through thick leather gloves like they're nothing

But they doesn't phase the friendly King Parrots:

• juni
    juni

I watch mini-me Unc today. I will take her to this Topic and show her all of the pretty birds in Australia. She's only 3 1/2 , but very smart and loves to learn. Calls animals "beautiful", "gorgeous", "sweetie", "ahhhhh" . She has a good heart and loves all creatures.

I KNOW she'll find your Topic fascinating. She always wants to type her name "Kate/Katie" so I'll tell her we'll write a little message thanking a friend for sharing his pictures and then she can sign off.

Juni

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Crumpet the twitcher said:

Love these pics brucey! is that Numbugga firetruck for real?

Yeah .. of course .. it's a rough ride but my other beast is a tad delicate on forest roads

:::

Numbugga, New South Wales

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Numbugga ( 36°39'S 149°42'E ), New South Wales, Australia, is a locality about 15km from the town of Bega, in Bega Valley Shire, consisting of mainly farmland, ruralresidentialdwellings and National Parks.

History

Numbugga used to have three schools up until the mid 1970s and used to also have a hall. The hall was demolished after a storm took the roof off. The Fireshed now stands close to where the hall was. The Snowy Mountains Highway runs through Numbugga.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Greetings unclebruce,

Excellent pics. Thanks for sharing. We love birds here too. Mostly Chikadees, Blue Jays, Rock Doves a.k.a Pidgeons, (shoulda been called Piguns, they eat all the feed they can get their grubby beaks on) Cardinals, and Gold Finches up here in the cold north.

Ever run into Mick Dundee or Donk?

Dismembered

No but I met Harry Butler and John Warmsley

Famous bushman/environmentalists: alt
  • Undecided
    Undecided

Thanks for the pics. I love to sit in my backyard and listen to the birds sing. I don't recognize too many of them but sometimes I can whistle like them and they will answer back. I bought a CD where I can look them up if I'm not too lazy. We have had Geese come into our area by the thousands in the last few years. We had a nest of Finches on our pourch this year and they raised two batches of little ones.

Ken P.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Beautiful birds, beautiful pics!

Thanks for posting!

I'd give anything to watch these exotic birds in their natural habitat.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit