Is there a bird watcher in the house?

by unclebruce 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Seriously, though...........when I was in Florida a few years ago, I went on a day trip to Ding Darling's Bird Sanctuary, which is in the Sanibel Islands, and saw the Bugslurper's cousin there.........the Roseate Spoonbill.............gorgeous gorgeous bird.............there were dozens and dozens of them and I guess from the oohs and ahs of the dedicated bird watching crowd, quite rare...........

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Just reading Unc's photo descriptions before the photos downloaded I asked myself: "A spoonbill, maybe? But, surely, not even Unc's that ignorant?" Just how did you get that WIRES posting, Unc?

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    Numbugga

So named because yer bum is numb from the bumping bugga?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

wow....I love those photo's...thank you so much for sharing. sammieswife.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Hi Uncle B!

Mini-me is here and enjoyed your pictures. She wants to write something.

katie

She chose those pictures for you Uncle! In that order! And typed her name for ya.

Juni

Thanks katie lol .. that's what I love about JWD, it's the family station

Yes Mary the King Parrots are remarkably friendy bird. Like many animals in the wild you can't approach them as much as they'll come to you. There's a very friendly one here that loves women .. if he sees a woman in passing, he'll wheel aside from his mates and start chattering. The latest science is showing that birds are second only to man in IQ and language is hardwired in their brains like us.

PS: Hey Stephanus, I'm a wombat expert .. if womabts could fly I'd be an expert of marsupial aviation

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Loved the gorgeous pix, (even of the magical fire truck...) and I loved the Unc's bird names BESTEST of all!!!

:)
    Baba

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

PS: Hey Stephanus, I'm a wombat expert .. if womabts could fly I'd be an expert of marsupial aviation

I used to gold pan along the Shoalhaven River and tributary creeks. Many's the time I've almost crapped my dacks because I mistook one of those monster sized wombats up there for a wild pig (also common in those parts).

Have you dollied any quartz samples from your gold mine to see if there's any of the good stuff left?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here's a picture of a jabiru I took up at Kakadu:

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Another bird on the same river:

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Hi Leolaia, Jabiru's are a huge scarey bird (that beak is an effective weapon lol). Sounds like you had a good trip to the NT

An Eastern Rosella:

alt

Gannet? (ok I'll start carrying my field guide to birds):

On Tanja Lagoon:

alt

Some type of Crane:

alt

One day I'll spend some time photographing the Black Swan (not easy from a wobbly boat):

alt

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit